Help me to choose my main class - Inf vs Heavy

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Allisrem, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Allisrem

So I wanna focus on a class right now to get the master-skin-thingy.

I already got the goldachievement for both... Also, I have almost everything maxed out on both since I used to play both. I want to change that now tho.

I don't know, there are aspects I love and hate about each class.

I love all the tools the infiltrator gets, switching between close-range weapons and sniper rifle, claymores, detector and everything.
    I hate that I can't do anything against non-infantry (let's forget the crossbow with explosive bolts pls, it's useless aight). So I face many situations where I'm like "If I had this grenade launcher now..."
    I have to mention that I even play grenade bandolier on sniper rifle-load out, I'm totally in love with this grenade! It's so awesome!

I love how one single loadout on heavy suits every situation. I love the actual tankyness and the fact that you can go face to face, just charging in and beeing able to take 1-3 guys.
    The thing I hate about this class... Well, not much, not beeing 2 useful on long range. And that the master-achievement is harder to get than infiltrators. I hate running around with Anti-Tank-Nades, but the achievements force me to.

So whatcha think? I know of course it's hard for somebody else to decide something like that, but I'm really stuck and I think maybe one of you guys can help me, maybe show me some argumentation or sth, you know.

Thanks
  2. CorporationUSA

Just play whichever class you're most effective with. You'll get more certs that way, and be a bigger help to your team.
    • Up x 1
  3. Ronin Oni

Why not just keep playing both and eventually directive both?

Glowy bits armor is typically not a good thing for Infils though...

Not really HA either TBH... frankly being flashy is a detriment.

Stupid glowy armor, why must I use you :p
  4. Allisrem

I always have to switch mindsets when I switch the classes and that bothers me. I want to stick with one now.
    What I mean is that when I switch I mostly die a few times first cuz with heavy I'm the frontdoor dude and infiltrator is the backdoor dude. If i really want to focus on one class (yep that's what I want) even how you move around corners and stuff is different.
  5. Demigan

Come join the LA's!

But if you really need to be infiltrator or Heavy, go infiltrator. The game is saturated enough with Heavies and we need more tactical players in rather than blunt instruments.
  6. Leftconsin

http://ps2.fisu.pw/directive/?name=leftconsin&category=3
    As you can see I am missing HA armor but have all the other non-MAX armors.

HA can be brutally boring at times.
    - The anti vehicle grenade is based on kills and with the nerf it got a few months back it is pretty bad at actually getting an infantry kill. It kind of is a flaw in the directive process that the best way to get them done is to turn stuff against infantry.
    - Air Deterrence is you just wandering around with a rocket launcher out shooting at air. A lot of air. Go to where there is a LOT of enemy air, either a massive enemy zerg or an enemy warpgate, and just start shooting. Fortunately this is the one thing the Striker is good at.

Infiltrator is more straight forward.
    - Recon comes pretty quick if you have a fully upgraded Motion Spotter. Yes, that is 1780 certs for the whole line. The last tier is 1k certs, but increases the duration 4 minutes, and doubles the range to 50m. The doubling the range part means it covers huge chunks of bases. Plop the fully upgraded one in a Bio Lab and watch the ribbons flow in.
    - The rest of Infil is just rotating through available weapons.

Infil is the easier of the two and definitely the faster.
  7. dngray

My best advice is to not approach PlanetSide 2 playing one class exclusively. You need to change it up to keep things from stagnating. I play Engie as my main, infiltrator and max as my back ups.
  8. Call-Me-Kenneth

don't play a single class, play what the current combat/squad requires. this game is not an rpg...

if you want to max a class first, then probably go for medic and engineer. at least their tools, that last lvl on them makes a huge difference.

if you are more interested in combat, probably go for a max lvl resist shield + nanoweave on heavy, then just save certs up. eventually you'll decide which class to cert up next on your own and having tons of certs banked will give you the satisfaction of having a fully certed class the moment you make the call.
  9. Konstantinn

I agree about using whatever class is needed at the time, but you can kinda sort of still main some class. Like going into a situation you don't know anything about, just spawned at base, looks low pop, no indication of vehicles, 50/50, few enemy few friendly dots, what's the first class you pull?

That's where preference comes in, again... sort of... because HA is good 1v1 and in case you discover enemy sundy you won't be standing there twiddling your thumbs at it with infiltrator.... but at same time you can't put up darts and see where enemies are coming from.... so there's preference.
  10. Crator

It's for the challenge! lol
  11. Ximaster

As a user of both classes i cant say u exactly,but i get more kills with the Infiltrator than the HA...
  12. Joexer

Ill say heavy because its just easier to play. Sucks it has to be that way but infantry vs infantry HA is the way to go.
  13. Villanuk

TR dont have the greatest LMG's in the game, although the chain gun can be great fun. Infiltrator have decent pistols and decent SMG's which when close enough can take down HA's.

The best way to find out which class you would like to play, is by your style of play. If you run and gun go HA. Infil is about stealth in bases, being cunning and sitting outside the main zone of action with a sniper and picking off other snipers and protecting your team mates. You can still run and gun with SMG, that is rewarding with infils but i tend no to as you are needed more at capping points and sniping.

Just my take on it.
  14. Asageh

If you're only going for the Directive reward, Infiltrator will be a lot easier to obtain only due to two of the Heavy Assault Directives being extremely lengthy to achieve.
    1. Air Deterrence which accounts for damage done to Aircraft, which means you need use the Air Lock-On launchers and actually hit the Aircraft 1200 times, that coupled with the Aircraft pilot's awareness of Lock-Ons and if they have Decoy Flares equipped, which makes it a real pain in the **** to consistently getting Air hits.
    2. Anti-Vehicle Grenades being near useless in killing potential unless you run Grenade Bandolir during an opposing faction's MAX Crash, and you need 1160 kills with the AV Grenades, they're not even useful against Ground driven vehicles.
  15. FieldMarshall

Im over half way to auraxing HA, and have auraxed Infil.
    The infil aurax was really easy compared and less frustrating.

-Kills super easy, happens by itself.
    -Recon. Same as above, it just happens for free.
    -Sniper kills. Very easy
    -SMG kills was also easy.
    (What was left is infil kills and scout rifles)
    -Infil kills (if its not already complete when you get this far) can reliably be grinded by playing sniper hunting other snipers.

As HA you are doing things that doesent always happen, like MAX kills.
    -You can go an entire day and not get a single MAX kill.
    Friendlies stealing your kills or enemies not playing MAX makes it frustrating.
    -AV grenade aurax you can forget about. Its been nerfed so hard that getting kills with it almost never happens.
    -Air deterrent is not that hard if you are playing TR or VS, but is very boring and grindy.
    Also relies on the enemy using air, which dosent always happen
    -Launcher kills is easy. Just RL primary. Can be boring.
    -HA weapon is easy, unless you play VS then it can get a bit boring.
    -Kills happen for free.

The armor reward from Infil doesent look as good as the HA one though imo.

Easiest directive is probably LA.
    Just kill a bunch of stuff with 3 weapon types and kill some enemy LAs if its not already complete.
    Very few battles where you cant progress your directive.
    The only time is when there are large outdoor battles and you are stuck on shotgun kills and that almost never happens.

Engi is easy except for the turret directive.
    Completely reliant on the battle being in a place where you can get anything done with it.

Medic is also easy except saviour and enemy medic kills.

And MAX is basically impossible because 1160 melee kills, and getting nanites every time you die after maybe getting 1 melee kill
  16. Allisrem

It's not only about the directives for me, but it's a bonus for Infi that it isn't stupid to farm...

Still tho, I hate the times when its tankside and I'm infi and totally useless.