Help a complete newbie

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Makwa, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Makwa

Complete newbie, never been good at any FPS game but I am hooked on PS2 for some reason. Infact this is the first one I have played for more than an hour. Decided I want to get good at it and dont want to stick to Infiltrator. My biggest questions
    "How do you keep the sob's from getting you in the back all the time?"

How do you get the damn gun around in time to shoot em?

I caught him off guard but he dropped me what the hell?

Alright I tried to use my mouse to compensate for recoil still missing
  2. Zer0range

Practise.
    • Up x 1
  3. Gisgo

This.
    A radar flash could help too with people getting on your back.
    I heard SMGs are good for infiltrators, too.
    If you like the game you will get good at it without even trying, just enjoy the game.
    • Up x 1
  4. Makwa

Getting lots of practice in. And have to admit I am getting better. Just searching for a few tips.
  5. Hosp

Practice - This'll get you used to the gun you're using.

Experience - Best way to survive getting shot in the back is to not get shot in the back. With experience you'll gain situational awareness.

In both cases, keep playing and don't rage. You will die alot initially. Hopefully you start building yourself up.
    • Up x 1
  6. LilyUK

Hi Makwa :) Trying to think of a few things for you. Try not too worry too much about getting caught offguard and dying, it will happen a fair bit sadly. Don't let it get you down (she says ;x) as you do have infinite lives. You will respawn and be back in action in no time. :) Like someone else said, the little radar thing is good because it will show red dots when someone fires their gun near you (unless they have a suppressor). I think it is part practice and part experience. What I mean is, just exposure to the game. It probably feels very raw to you right now, and it did for me (and still does sometimes). You'll ever so gradually start to get a feel for the ebb and flow, and start to develop an idea of what's going on around you without thinking about it. :) Like the direction or flow of where enemies are or could be coming from, and knowing when to watch your back, and knowing when you can relax a bit more. I'm getting better, but for exmaple paying attention to the sound of footsteps when it's quiet enough has helped me a lot. Even weapon sounds (and other things like faction specific infiltrator cloak sounds)

The more you play, the more all this slowly falls into place I think. :) If this is what everyone meant already when they said practice, then fair enough! Oh as for trying to shoot back when someone does surprise you, I can't really say. For me personally it's a total fluke if I get them first. Usually I am just free xp for them. :)
    • Up x 1
  7. Talizzar

I have to shoot for the head. Headshots, or enough of them will end the fight. Also many fights are won and lost due to internet speeds. If people get the drop on you, most times you are dead, unless you are a Heavy and have the sheild going.

Infiltrator is a tough class, not much armor. Sniping is all about finding that sweet spot to hide but you can stay there long as smart players will find you as you found out. Snipe and move. The cloak is good but does not make you invisible.

Try Heavy Assault until you learn to shoot better. You will survive many more battles just because the shield and will have more rounds in your gun.
    • Up x 1
  8. JohnnyMaverik

If you are playing infil as a sniper use your pistol in CQC, it is not great (well the Magshot is great IMO but that's more of a personal preference than anything concrete) and use your radar tool thing... basically it'll tell you if somebody is trying to sneak up while your ADSing. Also use a bolt action if you can, not a scout rifle. It's one headshot vs infantry, 2 body shots and I think only takes 3 to the legs as well...

If you are playing Infil as an infil, get the SMG.
  9. onemancrewbtf

Butt with the practice.

First, decide who you want to be:
    -close range, suicidal Infiltrator with scout rifles, mines, emp grenades etc.
    -long range, sniper, medium infantry support, scout role

Later on you can be both, if you get enough certs.

Then learn maps, bases, their interiors. Know every spot you can get and hide. Every hole. Every door. Every window. Everything.
    Before going in, plan. Listen. Feel the battle. Move only when necessary. If detected, escape with cloak on.
    Hide in shadows, night is your friend, crouching with pistol/dart makes you less visible. Crouch while sneaking with cloak.

Also, don't get mad if someone low ranked finds you with no problem - they are cheating. Just go on to another base/spot. Report, rinse, repeat.

Max cloak regen, helps a lot.
    Also use your cloak effectively. That means often(even when depleted energy and then on/off for 1-2secs) BUT when enemy is close DON'T turn it on. Turning cloak makes loud SLURRRRPPP (HEY GUYS I'M HIDING) that some enemies can hear and detect effectively.

Also, rule number 1 for sniper: "You dont see us... but we see you"|
    Number 2: "One hit, one kill"
    Number 3: "If you run, you'll only die tired."
  10. Badname2490

Sadly the TR default sniper rifle is kind of a joke compared to other sniper rifles.

I heard some of the other semi autos were much better than the default. If possible get the bolt action.

Shotgun wise the nighthawk is were it's at.

OTHER than that just keep trying. It takes awhile to get a good feel for infil.
  11. onemancrewbtf

You joking? They are the same. Except VS get no bolt action as starter.
  12. Makwa

Ok thanks for the great tips. My real goal is New Conglomerate Light Assault.
  13. Keiichi25

There is no way to stop someone from getting behind you... It is all about being paranoid, cause everyone is out to get you, even that guy who spawned next to you on your team... (cause there are jerk players who will try and kill you too...)
  14. Noxx(ia)

listen to reachcast :) in many of our episodes we have a section called "ReachCast University" where we talk about tips and tricks to the game. The older episodes contain tips oriented towards newer players.We've also highlighted a few videos that other players have made that can help you too. feel free to send me a DM about anything if you so desire.

http://imperialreach.com/planetside-2-podcast/

we have a new website coming soon.