Heavy Assaults don't need a nerf

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by MasonSTL, Sep 10, 2014.

1. MasonSTL

Alright, for a while I have seen many claims that the heavy assault is too powerful. That they are hard to counter against other classes. And I don't think that players are taking the right steps in their strategy in game while making this claim. I have many hours as a heavy and an engineer, and have recently taken the role of medic. I have also had some hours starting out as an infiltrator.

The request to nerf heavy assaults seems ridiculous to me for many reasons. The main one is "They are more resilient against other infantry." No ****, that is their main utility. And if you think that AV is the main utility take a look at the #1 weapon in the game... C4, yes C4. By a lot.

Taking out a heavy should be tough because that is their roll in the game. Heck they aren't even that tough to take out as a medic (medics even make more certs, and from my newer experience make a bigger difference in the flow and progress of an infantry battle). As for meeting one as an engineer, of course you shouldn't be on the same ground your utility is a repair tool and a turret. As I stated above C4 is the #1 weapon in the game so Light assaults are viable against popular belief (though I do think another utility would be good for them).

In conclusion, no. heavy assaults are not "OP"

Know your roll, and change your class depending on the situation. Sorry you may have died before figuring it out. But if you keep burning your pizza change the temp.
    • Up x 5
  2. LodeTria

Eh I'd be fine if the shield was kept as is, but could only be recharged if you had a shield generator in the tool slot. At least that way you have to choose to be AI or AT rather than both with no downsides.
  3. MasonSTL

down side is less movement. Which is a decent downside.
    • Up x 2
  4. Xasapis

That's not a bad idea, but it would make playing the class a chore. Shoot at somebody, get to cover, charge, etc etc.
  5. Iridar51

In a game where 90% of what you're doing is killing other players having a class that kills other players better is a bad mechanic.

And these numbers come from where, exactly?
    Heavy is tough because his role is being tough? Amazing logic. Then I say have should be nerfed because HA deserves a nerf. Great justification, huh? The problem is that this role is harmful for the sense of sportsmanship, for the game itself. There should be no class that's better for killing in a game of killing, period.
    • Up x 3
  6. Xasapis

Not sure what you mean by "better at killing". All classes are good at killing. Some are better at absorbing damage, some at flanking and some at sneaking.
    • Up x 2
  7. gigastar

Heh. LMGs in general are actually worse than ARs, and only better than carbines at range where thier damage falloff comes into play.

Aside from the rocket, every other weapon a HA can use, at least 2 other classes have access to.

HA is not better at killing at all, theyre just better at not getting killed.
    • Up x 6
  8. Leftconsin

DEVS I KNOW IM USING CAPS LOCK BUT THIS IS IMPORTANT.

HEAVY ASSAULTS DONT NEED A NERF.

THAT IS ALL.
    • Up x 1
  9. LodeTria

Oh I don't mean you have activate it, it's a passive like it is now, maybe even better than it is now that it would be specializing. Without it it just wouldn't recharge at all once used.
  10. Iridar51

Oh, long time no see, Mr. Dictionary.
    Well I've got my own dictionary. From my Gunplay Guide:

Winning Firefights
    First, let's define what a Firefight is. Firefight is you shooting at a guy, and that guy shooting back at you. To win the firefight, you must kill the enemy before he kills you.

There are two approaches you can use to help you win firefights.

1) Increase your survivability, so you can live longer than your enemy:
    • Use Nanoweave Armor, it will boost your effective HP by up to 25% against non-headshots.
    • Use a weapon with good hip fire.
      • In a firefight, speed is life. The faster you move, the harder it is for the enemy to keep their crosshair on you. So the greater your effective hip fire range, the more will there be firefights where you can afford to move at full speed, dodging incoming fire.
    • Use a weapon with 75% ADS speed.
    SMGs are a great example of a defensive weapon: they allow you to dish out respectable damage while being very mobile.
    Heavy Assaults have overshields that boost their effective health by a large margin, so naturally Heavy Assaults win more firefights. If you're fine with letting your class win instead of your own skills, feel free to use this crutch.

2) Increase your firepower, so you can kill the enemy before he can kill you.
    • Increase your own player accuracy.
      • Make a conscious effort, don't just spray in a general direction of the enemy. Learn to track the target, fire only when your crosshair is actually on the enemy. If you notice yourself firing past the target, stop firing. Let the CoF reset while you re-acquire the target.
    • Learn to control weapon's recoil. Train in VR. Just concentrate on pulling your mouse in the opposite direction to the recoil. Half an hour and a good music should do the trick.
    • Go for headshots.
      • Using a pump action with slugs or a close range bolt action rifle is a good way to force yourself learn the skill of instantly acquiring enemy's head as a target.
    • Avoid starting a firefight with an enemy that is beyond weapon's effective range.
  11. MasonSTL

• Up x 3
  12. Alarox

The mechanics for the shields are fine, the problem is how strong they are.

There are weapons that need entire magazines to down a single HA.

Should the HA be tanky? Yes. Should the HA shields be reactive? Yes. Is it possible that the shields are too strong atm? Yes.

I'm not sure why this is such a black/white discussion. The HA doesn't need massive nerfs, but at the same time I don't see why reducing the shield's strength is not allowed to be discussed. The HA doesn't need practically double its health to do its job.
  13. MasonSTL

I disagree with the entire mag statement, it depends on the weapon and the range.
    • Up x 1
  14. Haquim

I also disagree with the entire mag statement. Depending on the hitdetection you need more than one :mad:.
    • Up x 2
  15. Xasapis

Also depends on player's accuracy, possible lag and hit detection issues due to heavy area load.

It is very possible in certain situations for certain guns to not have enough bullets to kill a shielded heavy.
    • Up x 2
  16. MasonSTL

If you are going head long into a heavy as an engineer your ding it wrong. If you are not sneaking up on a heavy as an infiltrator you are doing it wrong. It you are not using your mobility to get an advantage on a heavy as a LA you are doing it wrong. If you are not accurate as a medic or reviving friendly heavies your doing it wrong.
    • Up x 3
  17. Alarox

Uh... what?

"I disagree that there are some weapons that require entire magazines to kill a HA because that only happens with certain weapons at certain ranges."

You can still outplay a HA and easily get killed. 700 additional health on command isn't something you can just shrug off.
  18. MasonSTL

If those are the cases why should the heavy be nefted and the hit detection, lag, and player accuracy not be taken into account. This goes with my OP in a sense, Heavies don't need a nerf at all.
  19. MasonSTL

ummm yeah. Change loadouts. this also goes with classes as well if you are not totally fit to take on a heavy... don't over extend in a situation where a heavy will be prevalent
  20. Alarox

Are you trying to defend the mechanics or defend the values of the HA shield? Because I agree with the mechanics and idea behind the HA, but I don't think the shields values are properly balanced.