Heavy Assault - Best way to cert?

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by Kylln, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Hawkins

1. Medikit. Instantly heals you to full. i couldn't live without it on my Heavy anymore.

2. Really depends of you. I have Resist and NMG maxed and must say i like the NMG more. If someone gets the jump on you the NMG is clearly better but if you can fire first the Resist Shield is better. as for the Adrenaline Shield: i'd give it a try but honestly it is too expensive.

3. FLAK Armor all the time, everytime! With all the Grenade/Mine/Tank/Lib/Rocketspam going on currently that choice is a nobrainer. Flak armor helps you a LOT to survive. I used nanoweave for quite a while till i finally tested Flak armor and the difference was like Night and Day. It helps me so much to survive now. Sure you survive 1 more bullet with nanoweave just to die 1 second later to a random grenade exploding next to you. 50% Explosion reduction is a lot!

4. stick to the standard grenade. The others aren't that great and not worth the certs

As for C4: i'd rather have the Medkit.
  2. Dresari

The first thing you should cert as a heavy (outside of the 1 point in nanoweave) should be your primary weapon. For nearly every LMG available, this means at least a forward grip, and IRNV scope (vastly superior to alternative scopes in every combat scenario with the exception of plinking at targets farther than ~125 meters, or shooting at ESFs). Compensators and HV ammo are both excellent options if your LMG has them available, as it increases your maximum damage range, and requires significantly less leading at any distance. Laser sights should almost never be used, as hipfiring in general is a terrible alternative to ADS unless you're within 5m or so.

For the rest of your list:

1- Medkit- Cheaper to cert than restoration, faster to apply, no real contest here. I'm fairly certain restoration kits will be altered somehow in a later patch, as they are seemingly worthless.

2- Resist shield- I can't say enough positive things about resist shield in comparison to the other two shields. For one, you can activate it far more often, as it doesn't require charge to activate like the other shields do, and recharges nearly 3x faster than NMG/Adrenaline (Adrenaline is essentially NMG with kills being gravy to your recharge time, however you'd need multiple kills every charge cycle to compete with the base recharge rate of resist shield, hardly realistic). There's no damage cap, or reduction in charge upon taking damage. You can absorb far more damage far more often using NMG/Adrenaline with any sort of healing (including medkits) in regular combat. The downside to this shield is that it requires you to be proactive and alert with its activation, as using it after you've already taken damage will add less effective health than using it at full HP/shields. The combination of high uptime, generally higher effective health, and lack of damage cap/impact of damage on shield charge makes resist shield a far more compelling alternative than NMG/Adrenaline for the average soldier who spends time in the thick of things.

3- Nanoweave Armor- Nanoweave 5 is easily the most versatile and arguably the most powerful suit upgrade for a HA. 125 extra HP is very potent, and increases TTK against you across the board. Flak armor is situationally more useful against HE vehicles (tanks, libs, ESF pods) and grenades/mines. That being said, you will almost certainly die more to bullets than to explosives if you're playing HA, which makes Nanoweave the more attractive option (it also has the added advantage of making resist shield more potent if you have that equipped). The other options (extra rockets, grenades, shield recharge, ammo) are all lackluster for HA in comparison to Nano or Flak, and are almost never worth certing into.

4- Default Frag- Unless grenades change, you'll get the most mileage out of the standard frag grenade. AV grenades are rather clunky at the moment, and although you can pull off some devastating combos with rockets on stationary targets, they are extremely difficult to achieve maximum effectiveness with against moving targets (the explosion radius isn't very big, and damage drop-off is high). They can be effective against MAX units, but the increase in damage over the default grenade is negated by the reduced lethality against regular infantry. Concussion grenades are a powerful tool, but in the current state of the game, they have limited value. Frag grenades are simply too versatile and powerful in infantry battles. They can control enemy troop movement through an area (nobody runs into a grenade), they can force people out of positions, and they are very effective at doing what HA do best- killing things.

5- No C4- Generally speaking, C4 for a heavy assault isn't all that worthwhile. HA lack the mobility of LA, and getting C4 into position against Sunderers and tanks is infinitely more risky and difficult. In addition, C4 is reduced in value significantly for a HA due to the fact that we're already given a default rocket launcher that is effective at destroying vehicles and turrets from a relatively safe distance, where as for Medics and LA, C4 is the only option. Medkits are useful in any scenario where you have less than full health and aren't near a medic (which can be quite often), where as C4 as HA is really only useful when you manage to sneak up on a tank/sundy/turret or the odd MAX suit. Needless to say, the former scenario happens far more regularly, and I would stick to Medkits. Leave the C4'ing of vehicles to the LA, they get off on that **** anyway.

I regularly kit the above, and I find that it's both versatile and effective in most combat scenarios.
  3. Jex =TE=

What does the Adrenaline and resist shield do?
  4. Badname2490

Restoration kit heals more and you're already waiting for shields to come back so use that. I think It heals more? Personally I picked it due to the whole shields coming back and stuff like that.
    Adren. Shield
    FLAK ARMOR! HOLY PISS IN BALLS FLAK ******* ARMOR!
    Stick to standard grenades, both of the options aren't worth it.
  5. Netham

With how much I see you on these forums, Im surprised you dont already know.

Either way;

Adr. Shield: Same as the NMG, except certing into this allows for additional regen based on kills. Rather than certs spent. [NMG is ~45 seconds to fully recharge when maxed. Adr. is 60 seconds to recharge to full at all levels, but at max, each kill provides ~15 seconds of shield.]

Resist: Mitigates 40% of all damage taken[Save hitting the breakpoint of ~400 damage). Doesnt drain when struck(AFAIK), but still applies 60% of the damage taken to your shields/health.
    • Up x 2
  6. KnightCole

Ahh, so Resist Shield is the way to go eh? Interesting, I was thinking that same thing a few days ago.....NMG is just like 200 extra health or something, the Resist is 45% less damage from each bullet? I will defs have to cert that at some point then. Its no wonder its 200 certs for the 1st lvl. 150? its something crazy.
  7. forumo

Resist Shield's other advantage is much much shorter regeneration time.
    NMG takes so very long to restore.

Don't bother getting more than Resist Shield Level 1, the higher levels are bugged at the moment.
    (They are supposed to make the shield last longer, but do not.)
  8. Bill Hicks

The pros use resist. if you are a person who out thinks his opponents and runs up on them, go resist. If you are a punk and get jumped, go Nanite mesh
  9. Dark82

1. Resto kit. Med kit is good when you are at low health, but if you are only missing a bit of health and are taking fire, it is essentially useless as when you get to low enough health for the med kit to be useful, you will probably die. The resto kit only heals about 75% of all health, but you regen health for 6 seconds, so it is better if you are taking fire. The med kit is better only if you find yourself at low health after killing an enemy, and when you are safe. However, the resto kit can also fulfill this, albeit to a lesser extent.

2. NMG if you are cheap, adrenaline if you like rushing into a room and killing people, resist if you can predict when you will take damage (like turning a corner) or are fighting at long range. Mostly personal
    preference.

3. I like nanoweave personally, but this is VERY much personal preference.

4. Anti vehicle is good against MAXes and vehicles, but it hard to hit vehicles unless they are still. Concussion grenades can let you clear out a room with almost no resistance if they hit everybody. They explode on impact and makes the enemies' vision blurry and makes it very hard to aim for them.

5. C4: I don't suggest this, as light assaults do best with C4 (since they can fly). I would rather have a resto kit.

Videos:

:
  10. anchorman

c4 is a good upgrade if you find neat ways to use it. You cant sneak up on people or tanks like the LA can but you can put it in the path of vehicles and wait for them to run over it and press the button. This is best suited for tanks that like to run over you or a harasser that run in a predictable way, most harasser drivers get comfortable in their path and this could lead to a good chance to plant the c4 and get behind the rocks or buildings and wait . I really would like to hear what some of the harassers I took out this way was saying when it happen lol.
  11. Posse

Just one thing, C4 and medikits go in the same slot, so you can't really pick both of them, C4 should be 1c option.

Anyway.

1) Whatever you prefer, I go with C4s, saved my life against many maxes.

2) Depends on your playstyle and skill, if you're good go with Adrenaline instead of NMG, if you go with C4s I would advice against using Resist Shield, if you run with healing kits then choose whatever you feel suits you better.

3) Nanoweave, there's no real choice here.

4) Whatever you like, each one is good for different situations.

Me and my 860 kills with C4 while playing HA disagree with you.

BS, you die much more often to small arms than to explosives, and seriously, evading grenades is way too easy.

Btw, Nanoweave gives you 2 more bullets worth of HP, not 1.
  12. pirron

My most used loadout and why in quite random order (I do assume you are VS player):

Orion (forward grip - lots of ADS) + Adrenaline Shield maxed lvl: this combo has a great synergy in my opinion;
    Orion is one of the most quick kill (1v1) focused lmgs in this game which is great while using Adrenaline Shield. I'm not a big fan of Resist Shield because you are loosing a lot of mobility while using it. This is making you take significantly more damage then using NMG or Adrenaline offsetting it's more tanky nature. Orion is great for 0.75 ADSing. So this combo is giving you a great dodge ability midfight (lower damage intake) while maintaining great killability over a wide range of distances.

Ammunition belt. Compensating for the ammo count of Orion. I would say that all options in this slot are viable generally speaking depending on your playstyle. Flak and Nanoweave can be greatly compensated by a skillful usage of the shield that's why I don't put either of them as a must. Your call.

Concussion Grenade. This is mainly against Maxes. Have somewhat rare, situational AI usage but if used in those it has no other grenades which can compete in this game. All grenades for HA have their strengths and are perfectly viable overall.

Decimator. Versatile launcher. Yes, I'm not joking... If you give up long range AV, AA role you are deadly to anything in ~(-150m radius). Any height advantage is only boosting this effect...

Restoration kits maxed. In all probable combat scenarios I would rate them slightly higher then Med packs. Both are fine choices.

Beamer + laser sight. Most versatile secondary for Vanu in my opinion. If you have some practice with it... Matches some of the worst primary weapons in combat. Also has synergy with Adrenaline Shield cause of mobility traits.

For other primaries except maybe SVA-88 I think Resist Shield + Med Kits + Advanced Shield Capacitor is a nice combo but I have no practical experience to back it up.
  13. Serafine

AV grenade is perfect for taking out Sunderers (and sometimes tanks). I made some vehicle kills and A LOT assists with this one.

For the rifles I actually like the Flare. That thing is like a full auto sniper rifle when upgraded properly.
  14. lilleAllan

Restoration kit lvl 3, I think- it was cheaper than medikit.
    Resist shield - Cheap, more hp. Would've probably gotten Adrenaline shield if it wasn't so expensive.
    Nanoweave lvl 4 - I certed this up back when I ran with the SAW, since using the SAW will get you shot in the face.
    Normal grenades

I use concussion nades on my CQC loadout, and now that bandolier is buffed I will probably run that instead of nanoweave since concussion nades are sick.
  15. Hypersot

are you people answering an 8 month old question?
    • Up x 2
  16. gregfox89

Exactly. I'm going to wait in cover until my shield comes back anyway, so what difference does it make if I use a resto kit or a med kit? Resto kits have saved my life several times while running for cover, where med kits would have failed.
  17. Posse

lol, didn't notice
  18. Rogueghost

I have both fully certed med kits and resto kits, and I all around prefer the med kits, with resto kits if you get down to 1-2 bars of health it will not heal you to full, med kits will.
    And when you are taking heavy fire, spamming med kits will save your life, but spamming resto kits will just waste infantry resources because the healing affect does not stack.
    The only thing resto kits have over med kits is you can pop them before a fight to have something like the medics AOE heal during combat, but imo I feel thats a waste of the resto kit.
  19. veselie

1a. Medical kit for insta healing to fight longer wihtout support but i refuse to use it if health is over 50%
    2c. Resist Shield it recharges faster and got used to it even if it has drawbacks like not blocking sniper shots or explosions
    3b. Flak armor when i fight in towers where are AP mines everywhere or when i expect to be explosions
    3d. Nanowave armor most of the time to survive sniper headshots and it works well with resist shield
    4a. Anti Vehicle grenade for when I put on fire a vehicle with my Lancer and i skip reloading it to trow the grenade. Vehicle has to be pretty close.
    5. No c4 since since I use med kits.
  20. WarpmanDIM

CERTainly

1b. Restoration Kitbecause they make it constant. you pop it, health goes up. Saved my butt couple of times.

2c. Resist ShieldBecuase it makes you freaking 2500 hitpoint machine if turned on beforge combat and with nanoweave 5

3d. Nanoweave Armorbecause Resist shield doubles the benefit

4b. Concussion Grenade
    nothing beats the trolling a lasher or chaingun can dish out with this baby.