Headshots: Should they ignore Nanoweave?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Gundem, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Gundem

Please, don't try and play games with me. I'm old enough not to fall for this bullcrap.

Either make a valid point, or concede and leave. Pick one.

P.S, ************ even further will count as concession. Just letting ya' know.
    • Up x 2
  2. Scr1nRusher

Fine.

Nanoweave is currently fine the way it is & previously it was imbalanced to some extent.

It has a strength(body shots) and has a weakness(headshots) it rewards going for the head over time & punishes going for the body.

Is it the best suit slot? No

Its is helpful if you can make the most out of it? Yes

We should be talking about Kinetic Armor on the MAX, and how it should get the same treatment nanoweave did.
  3. Foxirus

But why am I wearing a helmet if it doesn't provide at least SOME protection from bullets? :D
  4. Scr1nRusher

Because NS needs war to keep the lights on.
  5. Gundem

Yay! Legitimate discussion!

So, let me counter: Why does Nanoweave deserve to be the only suit slot that can be negated?

It's not like NW resisting headshots would invalidate them completely. They would still deal x2 the damage of a body shot. It would just mean that you don't deal 2.4x the current damage with a headshot against a NW target.
    • Up x 1
  6. Scr1nRusher

I think that instead of focusing on Nanoweave interms of strengths & weakness, you should look at ALL suit slots.
  7. Iridar51

To be honest, I'd rather nanoweave didn't exist at all. It feels like a mandatory suit slot for infantry combat and it reduces consistency. But as long as it is there, yes, headshots should ignore it.
    • Up x 3
  8. Valdorick

I feel like being pedantic and useless to this thread, so I'm just going to correct one thing with the OP.

Really, there is one other suit slot that can nullified by a single class's actions. Flak on infantry at all ranks is ignored by an engie's sticky grenade if A- it sticks, or B- you're just so close to it that it might as well be sticking (directly on it/next to it if its stuck on a wall).

... yep, that's my useless input to this thread, since I don't feel strongly one way or the other.
  9. Khallixtus

Instead of buffing Nanoweave, can we buff Adrenaline Pump? It's actually worthless.

And I believe Nanoweave is made for safety at longer ranges, so you can get from cover to cover with more ease. Buffing it would also be a nerf to lower DPS guns that are made for easier headshots at longer ranges. They aren't used too much, but they will really fall out of our good graces if Nanoweave affected the head.
    • Up x 2
  10. TheFlamingLemon

I'm not set in this belief, but it might be better to remove nanoweave, flak, etc. and make all suit slots things like asc and adrenaline pump. That way experienced players don't have direct in-combat advantages over new ones.
    • Up x 1
  11. Pelojian

vets will have a combat edge even if flak and NWA are removed, vets will know the base design, will have specialized weapons, medkits/c4/mines and high rank class abilities.
  12. EIMR

Yes, but they won't have literally more health than the newbs.
  13. Pelojian

NWA 4 and Flak 4 are very affordable, everyone started out not having ether and the difference between 4 and 5 is 5% for NWA and 10% for flak.

every vet has started out with no NWA or flak and has gotten the certs enough to purchase the last rank. regardless of keeping it or removing it, it will still be hard on new players who don't know map design and don't have gear, removing NWA and flak won't change that.

if they remove NWA and flak what else will be asked to be removed to 'improve the new player experience'? lets not forget increased whine by infantry players being 'farmed by tanks' cause they die more to explosives (when they die far more to other sources then tank weapons)
  14. EIMR

I remember that when I started, getting enough certs for a sight was a struggle. Yes, they can get the certs for it, but then they won't buy other things(like abilities upgrades), and anyway, the first half hour, which is the most important, they probably won't buy anything.

Yes, but what does that have to do with anything? The fact that others have suffered to get the gear doesn't improve your own experience. Yes, it will still be hard for new players, but at least in straight combat they won't be at a disadvantage.

That's a slippery slope. And people will whine anyway, so it doesn't really matter.
  15. nehylen

Most of these guns are made to be used at closer ranges too. Scout and Battle rifles virtually have SPA, also slug shotguns, already heavily subject to CoF RnG, would be hurt quite a bit in the process.

I tend to believe like Iridar, that NW shouldn't even exist, it's screwing up slow RoF guns so much already, and a quasi-default choice for the majority of people (i remember some poll Iridar made about suit slot for each class, NW won hands down), showing how powerful it is, even in its current state.

The only semi-serious contenders are flak armor and grenade bandolier; yet both are still less frequent than NW.
    • Up x 1
  16. Pelojian

This is why players suggest to new players to play as support because support is the easiest way to get certs.

no matter what new players will be at a disadvantage in direct combat, the people shooting at them are more experienced, have attachments for their weapons and they aren't restricted to the default weapons and have map knowledge and gear upgrades.

I don't see any real benefit to removing them, if removed peple will whine even more when they die to explosives and new player experience won't improve a lot IMHO.
  17. Baneblade

I have a counter proposal:

Add another nanoweave type armor unlock, but it only increases protection for the head.
    • Up x 1
  18. EIMR

They would only be at a skill disadvantage, since all the others suit slots only give non-combat benefits, and differences between weapons are accepted, and the default ones are pretty decent. But it's true that veterans will have attachments, and I'm not going to suggest removing the attachments system. I still don't like NW, but you're right in that removing it wouldn't help the new players.
  19. Eternaloptimist

I agree with Scrin. Nanoweave is body armour, not head armour. Removing the multiplyer for the benefit of less skilled players does not do a service to those who have learned to shoot well, or are learning.

A helment is a protection against flak irl. It generally won't stop a high velocity bullet going at full speed and it doesn't protect the face. This is one game mechanic that I think mirrors real life quite adequately.

(No, I'm not a sniper. I main Engineer with Medic and LA alts).
    • Up x 1
  20. Verceterix

If heavy shields cover the head, nanoweave should cover the head. As it stands, nanoweave is a waste of certs, unless maybe you're going against an NC with low rate of fire weapons that has bad aim. Snipers can get over it, imo.