Heads, Heads, Heads and oh wait. Heads.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Wardy, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Wardy

In the EARLY alpha footage from E3, we see soldiers being able to choose from a long long list of heads for their soldier. We also see INGAME screenies of soldiers running around without helmets showing off aforementioned selection of heads.
    *Source*
    http://www.blogcdn.com/massively.joystiq.com/media/2012/10/pslaunch.jpg
    http://www.planetside2.com/uploads/dcsclient/000/000/000/442.jpg?v=158.12 (showcasing two variety of black male heads)

And yet at launch, we're limited to a measly four heads from the beta. One for every "ethnicity".

Not impressed. Where's the rest of them??
  2. G1n

they will probably charge $$ for them, like in TF2.
  3. Cluzore

We got some fugly skull helmets on the SC store.
  4. Wardy

Don't overly care so much if they were a paid for cosmetic, but currently the only way to change you selected head is to re-roll your character, this is not something I wish to do when a greater variety of heads should have been put in from the get go.
  5. xemlash

yup some different ones available through SC in the store.

I could have completly missed something but on what set of circumstances would you want to change your head after creating your character? i personally have never been that bother by this on any other game
  6. Gary

Marketing tactics.. Release some of them first possibly the least popular. Inevitably people buy them. After some time release newer versions *cough iphone* watch as people flock to buy the new stuff.
  7. Wardy

[quote="xemlash, post: 610250, member: 1794"I could have completly missed something but on what set of circumstances would you want to change your head after creating your character? i personally have never been that bother by this on any other game[/quote]

Sorry what I meant was, at character creation now, we're limited to four heads. From screenies and vids of the game, I was under the assumption that you'd have the ability to play without a helmet (so troops could be distinguished more easily within a squad, and yes I'm aware there are helmet skins available for this). Now say x months down the line they release a head that either happens to look like me in real life, or I find myself wanting to look like this particular head. I wouldn't want to then re-roll the character to gain said head.
  8. xemlash

Ah I see now sorry.

Yeah I see what you mean, I would say as its cosmetic it would be a station cash purchase unfortunately
  9. dieMaus

They will put them on for SC probably...
  10. fallenvash

They might be planning on releasing them later as purchased items as most of the others suggest. With my cynical view on SoE's greed I was thinking the same thing, then I remembered reading something in an article many years ago, perhaps on Gamasutra. It mentioned how one of the great things of the planetside character creation WAS the limitation, you just rolled up a character and started the game right away. It went further on to explain how having a character creation as indepth as other MMOs would take away from the focus of the game. This is not some other MMo where YOU are always the hero to take on all the quests and save the meager excuse for a plot the game has, this is a game where you are just one small member of a BIG army. Having a lack of personalization enforces that feeling of being like everyone else and having to support everyone else to get anything done.

The article did not bring up the following points, but one could also see if everyone was running around without helmets, it can make identification of friend and foe a little harder. And the current issues of distunguishing factions is already a constant hot debate on the forums as it is.
  11. Wardy

I appreciate what you are saying, but essentially on creating the soldier, we are that soldier. We don't go on long quests to kill NC or VS dragons. You play the role of your soldier in the greater scheme of things. I am just sad that the little customisation I saw is not present at release.