Has the new death screen really given anyone an advantage so far?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by MasterCheef, Mar 14, 2014.

1. MasterCheef

Its nice to know where the person was that killed me and all, but i find that the info hasn't really helped me much besides satisfying a curiosity. Maybe its because i'm not an elite gamer, but my orientation is screwed up enough when i respawn that the indicator does little to help me.

I dont see what the overreaction is about. The few times that i DO hunt someone down for revenge, its because they are in an obvious location that i wouldve known about even before the change. The other times i die, i either avoid the spot or just move onto something else. I rarely go back out just for revenge.

All this complaining, is there anyone out there who finds that the new death screen has given them a TANGIBLE advantage against their killer?
    • Up x 2
  2. Wobberjockey

i was asking in TS last night.

our designated newbie (br 16, first character, he's a few weeks into PS, we're trying to help him learn the game) flatly said that he gained no benefit from the new screen or the killmap.

the opinion of our BR50+'s were pretty much in agreement that it was either redundant, or it was great for hunting down low BR's.
    it's extra information that they could use to hunt down their killer if they wanted.

in fact our designated newbie said that he was actually doing far worse because of it. that it was harder for him to chain kills together and that reprisals came faster.

take that for what you will
    • Up x 2
  3. Maelthra

Personally, I don't even look at the thing. In most cases I already had a good idea of where my killer was. I took for the directional damage indicator, I look for where the tracers came from, or I listen to where the sound of the shots came from (7.1 speakers ftw). It isn't something I need at all, but I suppose it wasn't implemented for a player like me that was already used to using the existing tools for locating one's killer.
  4. Ash87

I asked my designated PS2 experts last night.

Everyone of them said it was repugnant... because when they hit the death screen, they couldn't click the mouse button to get out of it, they had to press the space bar.

Really, that was their main reason for hating it.

I'm hopefully going to have time to play tonight, so I'll get back to you when I have an opinion of my own.
    • Up x 4
  5. BillBoBaggins

Makes not much difference considering the amount of players in a area anyway.There could be a hundred + and i am not gonna waste my time looking for one soldier or if i did want to look for them it wouldn't be that simple considering the encounters you come across.
  6. Edenwolf

Never even look at the thing, I know 90% of the time who and from where shot me.
    • Up x 3
  7. WyrdHarper

It gives you less information about your death than the old one (because you don't see your body falling or what's going on around you as you die), and it's harder on people who don't know the maps as well and may not know that they need to move a lot (ie newbies).

So basically, I feel like it's giving me less of the information I want to see about my death, a lot more swag nonsense I don't care about, an easier way to hunt down new players (or any player really, especially if you get ressed or have TS), and it creates this whole "vengeance" culture based around getting back at the guy who killed you. Plus clicking to get through it is a pain.
    • Up x 4
  8. Wobberjockey

that is my biggest annoyance so far

that and the providing 'tips' to 'help' me if i die without a kill in a life...

really insulting wen i'm point crashing.
    yea i'm dying, i know i was probably going to do that. WHY ARE YOU TELLING ME TO GO ELSEWHERE!

actually that tip…UGH
    there are times when you need bodies. and that tip is going to be sending the unwashed masses elsewhere. like off an under popped continent.
    • Up x 4
  9. zukhov

Im sure the new death screen helps out new players when they don't know what hit them and reduces the amount of hackusations from noobs. Doesn't really give any significant information to an experienced player.

I like it, its a good change. Wondering what all the fuss is about frankly.
  10. AshHill07

Nobody thought to whack the spacebar to get though it? No? Just me?

Maybe if the "Closest medals" was more relevant to the weapons I've actually unlocked (9/10 on the Halberd every time, I DON'T EVEN HAVE IT UNLOCKED!) The location of killer is pretty useless unless they were tagged before, which 9 times out of 10 means they'll have been killed by the time I hit respawn anyway. Most of the time it pretty much just says "The guy who killed you was directly infront/behind you". To which the usual response from me is "Yes I guessed that much already thanks".
  11. Jogido

It actually slows me down a little bit.

I could always tell before where I died from, but now that it goes to death screen so fast, I have to use it and the map is not orientated to my character's direction.

but It's really not that big a deal.
  12. Trudriban

wasn't...wasn't that put in specifically to help the new kids rather than make it even harder for them?
  13. Hibiki54

I wouldn't mind the death screen as long as any of the information shown was relevant. My only and biggest gripe is the speed at which it is shown when you drop.

At least give me a full second to register how bad I got owned before showing me the death screen.
    • Up x 3
  14. MasterCheef

yeah, i kind of liked being able to lurk around when i died. I could at least see if the person who shot me died, or hear the commotion to figure out if my squad took the area.
  15. doombro

It told me that I only had like, 5 more kills til I got a medal on my knife. That was pretty nice.
  16. Wobberjockey

yes.
    yes it was.
  17. Aesir

I'll be honest, I have mixed feelings about it. I like the idea behind the loadout info and tracking of medals(which looks better than the general overview ingame).

The numbpad enter smashing with my right hands thumb(mouse still in that hand) while grabbing a drink does work fine ... I'm an MMORPG player ... you know ... It's kinda annoying, but one can get used to it and I think adding like right mouse button to skip or the likes isn't to much to ask for.

Now to my issues with it ... the map was in some cases really helpful and I was running medic today with a friend. I let myself get killed, so I see the screen, get rezzed and kill the guy. It's been really helpful ...

But I don't see much use for low BR players out of this. The where is not often the issue, it's the how. When I first started playing PlanetSide 1 I always thought it's because of the higher BR guys having some kind of advantage ... until somebody told me to quickly tap fire my Gauss Rifle instead of Burst firing or even full auto.

Guess what, next back door defense I was running out of ammo killing more than I ever thought was possible. And the same guy gave me his loadout, before I never lived long enough to fire away 2 boxes of 9mm AI ...

Which is why I think having better tutorials is probably better than that map ...
  18. MasonSTL

Sat alone in the cave (near point A) at The Ascent yesterday. Crouched in the same spot for 7min in a 1-12 battle. The same 3 guys came for me 3 times and would walk right past me after I had killed them each twice. Would have taken video but apparently took a screen shot instead :(.

I agree that the button to continue is a bit annoying, but something that would be easy to get used to.
    Maybe as a compromise if the death screen would automatically switch to the deploy screen and then give us a button on the deploy screen for us to bring up the death screen again.
    • Up x 1
  19. Wobberjockey

also annoying:

if you get immediately rezed by a medic, you go from death screen to the map to the confirm rez screen pretty much instantly.
    • Up x 1
  20. Trudriban