Hardware- Quieter and cooler for cheap.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by customer548, Aug 26, 2016.

1. customer548

Hi,

I noticed that many of us had an I5 CPU.
    Monthes ago, my own desktop was terribly noisy. And my own I5 went to incredibles temperatures while playing to our favorite game.
    So, I decided to look for cheap and easy to install hardware parts in order to have a cooler and way more silent desktop. (I didn't want any water-cooling stuff..I was just looking for silent and cheap).

- CPU fan : Artic Freezer 13. Cheap and easy to install (and silent). Thermal paste is included (You have to change your Thermal paste each 2 years or it may damage your CPU). You'll have to take off your motherboard from its computer case in order to install it. You'll notice that it's Intel-AMD compatible. My own I5 is now 20 to 30°C cooler.

- Here are REALLY silent fans : be quiet ! Shadows Wings SW1. Those are not the "best" fans in order to make your desktop cooler. My own goal was to have a silent and cooler desktop. Those really a great job and are easy to install. Choose the right dimensions depending on your own needs.

I bought this stuff 5 monthes ago and i'm still astonished by its effectiveness. You'll simply not hear your desktop anymore ( "Is it ON ?" ).

These are cheap hardware parts. You may also wait for temporary discount sales.

Links to useful tools :
    - Core Temp 1.2 : CPU temperatures monitoring.
    - Nividia System Monitor : Nvidia GPU temperatures monitoring.
    • Up x 1
  2. Erendil

$68 for a 140mm case fan? That's not exactly what I'd call cheap.

If you want cheap and silent, and still get high quality. I'd recommend BitFenix Spectre Pro fans like this one: BitFenix Spectre Pro 140mm Case Fan. It's 1/4 the cost of the Shadow Wings fan and pushes ~40% more air. (86cfm vs 60).

BitFenix also has a PWM version that pushes a whopping 122cfm for about the same price, but I have no personal experience with it.

Of course, at 22.8dBA the Spectre Pro is a bit louder. But then, when it comes to case cooling I always recommend people get a fan controller that allows you to control the RPM of your fans (if you're motherboard doesn't have one built-in), so you can lower the RPM (or even turn the fan(s) off in some cases) to minimize noise when your PC is idle or just being used for email, browsing, etc, and then crank up the RPM during high Load situations (Gaming, video rendering, etc).

You can get a cheap controller for around $20 which just gives you simple RPM control knobs for each fan, or you can spend a little more to get one with temp gauges and that can control the fans' RPM based on the temp.
  3. customer548

4. Erendil

Ahh that's much more reasonably priced. I see they're based out of Germany. A few web searches shows they're market is mainly in Europe and not much at all in the U.S., so that would explain the much higher price on this side of the pond. :cool:

Cooler Master makes excellent fans as well. They have a few different lines depending on your specific application (high cfm for case fans, high pressure ones for CPU fans, low power fans, etc.).
  5. customer548

I'm not sure of it, but I guess Amazon allows EU-US imports. Maybe customers would be able those at EU cheaper prices. But it may also induce extra delivery charges.
    Thank you for your links about different products.
  6. AtckAtck

Silent is so overrated if you have a hot living place...
    I get temps of 30-45°C in the summer, this is no fun.
    I recently installed water cooling with 3000 rpm max fans. http://noctua.at/de/nf-f12-industrialppc-3000-pwm:D [You can change the language with the little flags.]
    It sounds like gigantic hair dryer if I want to. :eek: (But can be silent as well.)
    Nothing beats Noctua fans.
    • Up x 1
  7. Erendil

Sure thing. :cool: And yeah, you can theoretically buy from any one of Amazon's sites. However, a lot of Amazon marketplace companies only ship to certain countries, or don't ship outside their own country at all.

That said, once you login, any listing you look at should tell you whether or not it can be shipped to your country.

• 186.7 m³/h / 110 cfm
    • 7.63mm H2O
    :eek: :eek:

That's some serious air! I think I might've just found my new CPU fan...

Ah yes, here we go.... :D https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KESS6O0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  8. AtckAtck

I think it is the best fan money can buy. I have 4 x 120mm of these on my watercooler and 2 on the case front.
    All controlled by fan control software.

But beware, there are some negative points too:
    The spin up is near to maximum speed, this is hands on LOUD.
    You can regulate the fans down to around 900 rpm, not lower, so you NEED a control software. You don't want to have case fans spinning at 3000 rpm all the time.
    They are pretty expensive. ~25€ per fan is not cheap.

I'd buy them again any time, but I am no silent fanatic.
    Like I said, my living place gets really hot, so I need extreme cooling.
  9. Erendil

Yeah I thought about that. Thankfully the BIOS on my MBD (ASUS P8Z77-V LK) has pretty good fan control settings that remain in effect even across PC power cycles, so it would never reach 3000 RPM if I don't want it to. :cool: The AI Suite software that comes with it has a fan control app too.

Luckily Amazon sells them for ~$24, which is what, 18 pounds? That's a bit more reasonable.

If this fan works out I might buy one of their 140mm fans for the rear case exhaust. Too bad they don't make any larger fans though. My HAF-X case has three 200mm and a front 230mm. Although they already push enough air to keep the inside of the case pretty cool so they don't really need replacing..
  10. AtckAtck

That should work too. Like I said I have a corsair water cooler and control the fans with their software.

I only have 120 mm fans in the case; 2 front, 2 Top (in the radiator), 1 back and an open side panel (200mm fan hole). I could mount some more, but the airflow is pretty good this way.

If you buy some, plz tell me if you like'em. :)