[Suggestion] Hardlight barrier

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by badname123, May 1, 2017.

1. badname123

While crouched behind the deployable shield enemies can still headshot me.

I suggest to make it taller. I realize making it taller might make it impossible to jump over which would not be good. If its height could be made so im not getting headshotted behind it and still be able to jump over it that would be great.
    • Up x 1
  2. Liquifier

I agree the Hardlight barrier needs a higher stance to be considered for protection from enemy fire and not just being a road hazard but with that being said it also needs an effective way to be brought down ( via EMP )
  3. BrbImAFK

No thanks.... there's enough EMP spam killing all the things as it is!
    • Up x 1
  4. DemonicTreerat

Or let us deploy the blasted thing on walls and slopes so its possible to crouch and be fully covered if we're not standing directly behind it. Right now I see it used more as a crude way to block doorways than as actual protection. Mostly because it provides absolutely zero protection for anything above the belt unless you're standing so far away on the downhill side (or the other guy is shooting uphill) that it doesn't really have an effect anyway.

Though I really wish someone would get off their rear and give us some serious field works. Energy weapons, complex war machines formed out of nano machines, space travel and yet we lack the tools to do something as simple as dig a ditch and pile the freaking dirt on one side. Would it really kill the game if engineers could have the option to cert into a tool that let us put down chest-high walls, wire entanglements, and a few other fieldworks? They don't have to be nearly as tough as base walls - even if just 1 or 2 C4 or a few MBT rounds destroy them it would be nice to at least have SOME place to take a break from the endless streams of bullets.
  5. ZDarkShadowsZ

I wouldn't mind an alternative variant of the barrier. We could have the one that's currently available, but a taller, less wider version as well that can extend the range of cover scaled to just a little wider and taller than a single player. Or have some different shaped barriers like a concave-like barrier than allows for an extension of crouch-only cover but expands into standing cover as well.

Realistically though I suppose these kinds could just be abused more than the current barrier is from time to time.
    • Up x 1
  6. Erendil

I think the HLB as it is now is pretty worthless.

I can get similar cover from an AI/AV MANA turret, and at the same time I can use it to kill mans.

A much better design would have been to make the HLB man-height but only let it stop enemy fire. That way you could stand behind a friendly HLB and get its protection but you could shoot through it at enemies on the other side. And anyone could walk through it, friend or foe.

As a balancing measure they could make it like the HA Resist Shield where it only stops a percentage of the damage of shots going through it.
  7. Pelojian

i think the purpose behind the HLB's height is to act as soft cover to be used on a slope where you can shoot at the enemy easier while they only have a small area they can hit you and you can move backwards from there to be completely covered.

if it only reduced damage it would be worthless in my eyes because all it would take is a heavy to punch through with resist shield on to kill you.

don't forget that if a light assault comes into close range with a shotgun the barrier will take some of the pellets denying them quick kills and giving you more time to gun them down.
  8. ListenTourBalls

It just needs to be 1/3 meter taller and I would spend certs on it. As it is like another said, there's hardly a reason to use it over the ai turret as far as cover, and teammates usually see it as an obstacle because it isn't useful for cover at all, really
  9. Metalsheep

IMO they should have just basically copied the Halo 3 deployable cover.

[IMG]

Man height, about 2ish people wide. Shield can regenerate if the actual hard generator isn't destroyed. Immune to small arms fire.
    • Up x 2
  10. Weylin

These things are useless in the current state, or so narrowly useful that it's just not worth it.

I have not ever once thought "Wow, that hard light barrier was really overpowered"
    • Up x 1
  11. Pelojian

the only way HLB is OP is for the trolling potential by fourth factioners putting in spawn tubes and in the auto drive area of a vehicle pad.

IMHO you shouldn't be able to deploy a HLB in a spawnroom or deploy one anywhere near a vehicle pad. it's not nice when someone pulls a vehicle, you are next in the que, you spawn your vehicle and the guy before you get stuck and then a third guy's vehicle gets spawned and you lose your nanites to 4th faction trolling because your vehicle's auto drive pins the first guy in so he can't clear the area in time.
  12. OldMaster80

Not only it's not overpowered, it's rarely even useful. I think only once I got a kill because of the barrier. It should have been slightly higher in order to provide a reliable cover against headshots.
  13. Kcalehc

Honestly I feel they should have made it kind of like a vehicle/spawnroom shield. Full body height, and about 2 bodies wide, can see through it, can shoot through it only one way, and does not affect player movement (for any side) in any way. So yes, you can put it in a doorway to stop the enemy shooting in, but they can still rush in then shoot you. Vehicle weapons, rockets and splash damage are stopped in both directions - instead damaging the shield itself.
    • Up x 1