Hard time for (mostly) snipers

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Mrrobinator, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Mrrobinator

so i am someone who loves to be a sneaky sniper and use the nature to his advatage.
    Now can someone tell me who the hell came up with the idea to put glowing strips on EACH scope of every sniper rifle.
    Does it help me being stealthy cause i look more like a sun then a bush?
  2. andy_m

Dunno... never been a problem for me. At the ranges I work at, as a mostly full time sniper, it's not the scope or gun that gives away the enemy sniper. I look for tracers and listen for the shots. And then I home in on the body of the enemy. I don't ever remember thinking, "oooh... there's a nice shiny scope in the distance..."
    • Up x 6
  3. MarkAntony

And that is somehow relevant when you have glowing stripes all over your character as an infiltrator?

It's SOE logic. "Hey this is a stealth class, let's make sure it can't be too stelathy" they follow the same logic with everything in game. Supposed long range weapons which have one attribute that is important for long range where they just suck etc. It doesn't make any sense.
    • Up x 1
  4. Nexus545

Not sure what we're on about here. Was it added with the most recent patch?
  5. Rovertoo

Pictures?
  6. andy_m

No need for pictures... just go to the char screen and look at your character, his gun, the gun attachments. I don't know about the other factions but a lot of the NC stuff has yellow stripes on it. I'm sure that at the mid to long range sniping distances that it is difficult to make out any of the nice little graphic add-ons.

Through a scope you might be able to, but, again, I don't recall thinking, "blimey! Nice graphics on your weapon there dood!" I see someone in the distance, because I've spotted some movement (not because of a splash of colour by the way) and I'm just intent on killing the barstool before he kills me.

But there you go... I'm repeating myself as I head into my dotage...
    • Up x 1
  7. Maljas23

Not sure when it was added, but I see it only on 10x and above scopes. I doubt it actually gets you spotted like what the OP is saying, but anything is possible in Planetside 2.
  8. Nurath

I can't say I've ever spotted an enemy infiltrator due to glowy stuff on his gun.

I notice him because he looks like an infiltrator and hasn't bothered to move after firing.
    • Up x 1
  9. Nexus545

That's slightly concerning since I'm working on get Auraxium with the Bolt Driver (10x being my scope of choice). I'll find out when I play today I guess.
  10. iccle

Seriously strips on either side of a weapon attachment are the least of your worries, have you seen the bright coloring on the front of your suit yet?
    • Up x 1
  11. Eltirion87

Im a full time sniper and the only thing that i hate is bra on NC Inf .
  12. SuperMedicated

hard time as a sniper?

[IMG]
    • Up x 2
  13. andy_m

Doesn't bother me, I don't use a mirror when I get ready to go into the field... I don't bother combing my shoulder length hair either.
  14. Verviedi

Anything that hurts snipers is good for me!
  15. RobotNinja

[IMG]
  16. ZomboWTF

totally agree

i Think SOE somehow can't see the difference in "Overpowered" and "Diversity"

look at PS1, the empire specific stuff was awesome (Lasher, NC MAX shield, VS MAX jump, Hover engine for almost every vehicle on VS side (which was so much fun it's unbelieveable) etc., SOE thinks that every Empire must be the same and just look different, which is horribly wrong)

we are lucky that we have Empire specific tanks...
  17. ZomboWTF

come to the purple side, we have spandex!
  18. Nexus545

One of the biggest, most likely reason for the lack of ES stuff is down to time and money. Making 1 NS vehicle is cheaper and provides pretty much the same income as 3 ES vehicles. It is also easier to balance meaning the devs don't get a lot backlash.
  19. ohknoh

Yeah....if you're being counter sniped while sniping, you're being out played. It happens to all of us in this game. Like other people have said, I've never spotted a sniper by his scope, or anything else at long distance, it's always his silhouette, and tracers that give him away. Or the direction marker and kill screen when I take a headshot.

Grab my stalker cloak and underboss, or LA with a flash light, and find them. Most snipers that find a good spot are loathe to move. I've dealt with a few who I just could not smoke out, who spotted me, fell back and then sniped me from another vantage point. Talk about annoying.

The bright suit lights are only really noticeable on the store armor that you can buy. I've managed to take out a few snipers in close just because they were running with suit lights. However the armor can be a distraction at night, if the infiltrator is using his cloaking well, especially if you're trying to gun them down, and they cloak, you'll lose them completely a lot of times since you're following the easy to spot lights.

I guess it's just like the lights for your vehicles, there to intimidate people, knowing that you're really good/dangerous.
  20. RenegadeHelios

Well, with all honesty - I had a friend try something for me.

Stood at render range. I put on my lumifibre armor for my infil. 12x scope by 12x scope. Stood by landmarks, he tried to pick me out of a varying landscape, with about a 40 degree range of rotation. Black flame camo + lumi. At night. He gave up. We reversed the test, now with his own lumi, using a 4k screen I picked up off of NewEgg. Saw a tiny, tiny piece of the lumi in the night.

Long story short, you can MAKE yourself overly visible, but it's only going to be a problem at CQC. I've made it a habit of using Lumi on my infil in all occasions during night combat now, so I get teamkilled a bit less.... People see the yellow and don't think I'm a VS infil. .-.

But yea. Don't worry a lot about the lights - it's honestly just an excuse. Nobody's going to see the stripes at that long of range, unscoped or something similar. They'll see the character shape before they see the stripes.