Halberd on the MBT is overpowered. Why are tanks even allowed to equip it?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by karlooo, May 4, 2020.

1. karlooo

The Halberd is equivalent to an MBT's main gun. It's like having 2 main guns, why?

I'll just compare this weapon to TR guns. Why would you choose the Vulcan, Gatekeeper, Marauder over the Halberd? The Halberd is good at any range against armor and it kills infantry much better than the 3 gun.
  2. strove

With the exception of a long range sniping style build... id take the gatekeeper, vulcan, saron or aphelion over the halberd any day of the week... The Harberd is notably lower in damage than the main battle tank cannons dealing only 600 per shot, this is the same at the prowlers AP shell damage, apart from the prowler has two shots... The other two MBTs have higher damage per shot (750-850 for the magriders and vanguard AP shells) AND better resistance values against enemy tanks so no the halberd isnt equivalent to the MBT main guns, it just fills a similar role and is out performed by faction alternatives at shorter ranges.
    • Up x 4
  3. McToast

I like the Halberd for it's versatility, which is exactly what NS weapons should be like. It's decent at any range, it's effective against vehicles and infantry, to a certain degree even against aircrafts, and it has a moderatly high skill ceiling.

It's out-dpsed by the ES AV weapons, and it needs a competent gunner for AI/AA work.

The ES AI weapons are too weak though, especially compared to the Halberd.
    • Up x 2
  4. Campagne

Is this some kind of good topgun joke I'm too NC to understand?

But for real I'd be hard pressed to think of a general situation I'd not bring a Vulcan or even Gatekeeper over a Halberd had I the option. Aside from AV/AI versatility both are superior in almost all the ways that matter for a secondary topgun.
    • Up x 2
  5. TRspy007

Pretty much every other option is superior to to halberd, especially since the CAI.

The vulcan shreds everything, the gate keeper is meh since the nerf, but still has higher dps, and the maurauder shouldn't even be picked over the other two, but its nice for farming infantry, although if that's your main worry the basilisk, kobalt and vulcan would work fine if not better.

Even if you hit an esf with it, it barely takes away half their health. I won't even begin to mention how useless it is against larger air.

Also I'm pretty sure the halberd doesn't even 1hk infantry anymore. It's more like having one main gun and a rocket launcher.

This thread seems pretty silly, and is the first time I've seen anyone complain about the halberd.
    • Up x 1
  6. Boosted24v

Halberds most def 1hk infantry, I do it all the time, but I def do not think its OP at all.
    • Up x 1
  7. McToast

It's pretty much the big selling point of the weapon. In tank vs. tank warfare, dps is more important than frontloaded damage because you can't cripple your opponent in a single well aimed volley anyway, the ES AV weapons do a way better job here. Against infantry however, frontloaded damage for a OHK is very important, because ducking into cover is a lot easier for them. With it's long reload and tiny splash the Halberd would be pretty much useless against infantry, if it couldn't OHK, making the ES versions a straight upgrade.
    • Up x 1
  8. Towie

• Up x 1