Hail the slug gun - its not for sniping anymore.

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by Ghoest, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Ghoest

After the last several patches slugs are not longer getto sniper rifles. Between the low velocity , large drop and somewhat decreased power they are not an impressive choice for for even 100 meters.

But they are much better for the 30-60 meter range and the are at least viable under 20 meters now.

First the change to flinch code was a huge improvement.
    The with GU6 Im not sure why but they seems more accurate in combat situations than before.
    And then finally in todays patch the the changing size of the targeting bullseye is a small but nice touch.

Im mostly using the Piston(extended mag and 1x scope) - although I fire it semi-auto probably 95% of the time. But Im also trying the sweeper with higher magnification scope and a laser sight for hip fire and it may be an even better choice.
  2. Kahlev

Nova and other Vanu shotguns still are perfectly fine for sniping. :)
    • Up x 1
  3. CraftKing

OP, NERF! lol
  4. Mythicrose12

Haven't tried slug gun in a while. Maybe I'll try it if I see your around on Waterson tonight, Ghoest. Only came across you a couple times. Shotguns (buck) now seem awkward to use. The target reticle is huge when running and using jet pack. Oh well..I'll get to used to it I suppose.
  5. Ghoest

I probably should have made it clearer that I wasnt talking about pumps with slugs - I find them extremely awkward.
  6. Frosty The Pyro

I bet the phobos makes a better semi-auto sniper than the semi-auto sniper rifles.
    • Up x 1
  7. Kreantris

Would you say that a shotgun with slugs is the best medium-long range option for LA, or is one of the "long range" carbines the better choice?
  8. Lucidius134

because who needs balance
  9. Paqu

I haven't been using slugs for months on my Nova but I tried them yesterday. All I can say is that I wont be using them in the future either.

For long range they are the best you can get for LA but its still not very good unless if you happen to find stationary targets. Trying to hit a moving targets is painfull.

For medium range carbine does a much better job. Iam using the Solstice SF with HV ammo and compensator which drops people quite fast at decent range. Also the "noobtube" which it has allows you to take out sunderers on your own and is great against infantry as well.
  10. Naota

Not exactly. It's quite decent for peppering crowds with heavy hitting projectiles from long distance, but the velocity is so slow (think slugs for your faction then ~25% slower on top of it) that any erratic movement means a guaranteed miss. Shooting down the bridge from TI Alloys, the bullet takes at least a full second to reach the target. Good for unaware snipers and turret users, hopeless against moving targets... or targets that move in the 1-2 second period after you shoot at them. That said, this is one of the rare situations where no bullet drop really is very helpful.
  11. Frosty The Pyro

vs shotgun projectiles are not 25% slower, they are 25m/s slower, it works out to about 8% slower.
  12. Naota

Oh, well damn. Regardless, they're slow as molasses no matter what you do. The slugs travel slow enough to completely miss a target that was stationary at the moment you fired them, which makes for suboptimal sniping (though pretty good mid-range plinking/headshot hunting).
  13. Absoluth

I stopped using my Thanatos with slug after a certain patch (don't remember which) that simply ruined the weapon for me. I mean, i didn't mind as much when i unloaded 7~8 shells on a HA player with that ridiculous shield up and he didn't die, which is already absurd, but when i 1v1 a NC infil with a pistol at about 25~30m, we shot eachother pretty much the same number of times (about 4 shots), with me dieing and him showing 40% of health on the 'who killed you' window, 'somehow' that made me lose my initial hype when i first bought it. Even if he were to be the top marksman in the NC faction, managing to hit only headshots with a mere pistol, it's still an unreal scenario. Concentrated shotgun shells vs pistol ammo? It's not supposed to be even close.

Bought the pulsar shortly after and am much happier with it. I only bother with shotgun now if i'm playing LA (Without slug, of course).
  14. LibertyRevolution

I have no issue killing people with my Phobos slugs out at 100m with 2 shots, even after this nerf.
    At 100m it makes a better sniper riffle than my AC-X11 with HV ammo and 6x I have on my NC LA...
  15. LibertyRevolution

Phobos with 4x and slugs is a pretty decent sniper riffle for my LA: