Hacking

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by Corway, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Corway

As a vanguard class that is often ahead of the main force why don't LA have the hacking ability as well?

The class is a little flat. I mean I can hold a point for a lil while by myself with a shotgun but beyond that if I'm not killing or capping I'm not usually doing much. Also if they're given the ability to hack that could shore up the ammo issues everyone has.

So what do y'all think?

I hear the cries of OP but is it really that much more OP compared to the invis guy walking into bases and just taking things?
  2. Winterspawn

Yes, I would like that. And you're right about infiltrators, they just walk in some base while cloaked, bump into a few idiots who don't kill him, and they start hacking and destroying generators. This may be their intended use but they get a ******** of different utilites and powers that make them unbalanced. On top of their snipers they get decent close range weapons and about 10 different ways to get free XP without doing kills. We just get to fly and can't even use our sneakieness to JJ into a base and hack terminals.
  3. HueyLewis

Can't tell you how many times I've been behind enemy lines wishing I could snag some terminals.

I think if it was a cert upgrade or something that it'd be fine, throw in some other abilities to make it an actual choice between your options and it'd be fine.
  4. Trenyt

How about the ability to subvert the terminal so that any vehicle pulled out from it is shown on radar until destroyed. A sort of advanced scouting feature?
  5. Noxzer

As someone that plays both Infl and LA heavily, I can tell you that the utilities of the Infil are extremely limited. Their short-range weapons are garbage and it's much easier to infiltrate a base with jump jets rather than cloak. Cloak is extremely easy to see through and if you're spotted, you probably won't get off a single shot before you're killed because of how long it takes to uncloak. And if you do get in, you can hack and that's it. Your short range weapon takes almost a full clip to hit on-target to kill and you only have 5 reloads, so you only have so many plays you can make behind enemy lines. Not to mention you have nothing you can do against enemy vehicles.
    • Up x 1
  6. Winterspawn

I know that jetting into a base is easier but you have no idea how many times I've seen hostile infiltrators walk right in front of our own guys while cloacked and being obviously visible. The cloak itself may not be great but the stupidity of many players who assume that infiltrators are only snipers and that it must have been a friendly makes up for that lacking ability. On top of the cloak you also get the ability to hack (free xp especially in hostile bases that are empty) and the AoE sensor that tells positions. We just get a jetpack that runs out of fuel after a few seconds, that takes longer to recover than you can actually use, and on top of those things it's even bugged.
  7. gunshooter

Yes take the unique mechanic of another class and put it on another. Great suggestion. Let's give everyone HA shields.
  8. Fahadius

They already have cloak as their unique mechanic...they don't get to have two! Besides, getting behind enemy lines is far easier w/ LA than it is w/ an infil; I'd argue that the hacking ability fits LA far more than it does infil as far as base sabotage goes.

Edit: I should say, everyone has two but LA, so we should be allowed to borrow one of yours.
  9. Corway

So as it stands infiltrator get invis, hacking, the lil radar shooty thingy, bouncing betties, sniper rifles, anything else I'm forgetting in the unique abilities/gear category?

LA has jetpacks, smoke and (laughably) flash grenades, and ... hmmm well I seem to be drawing a blank on unique other features or a single support task to offer to a squad (unless you're squad leader then you can use the beacon which isn't unique) anything I'm missing?

If your condescending and utterly nonconstructive comment was about why hacking and not something else? Well I'd be happy to answer that. It would take something that only gets done sometimes that is incredibly helpful to both your faction and (with the ammo issues) you personally and make it a bit more accessible and maybe see it done more often than when I roll infiltrator.

If it was about alternatives then I can say I like what some folks are throwing out there as specializing the class to a demolition/crowd control guy. Maybe stock C4 with the option to unlock more ... a lot more none of this 2 or 3 thing think 5 or 6. Maybe a grenade launcher that could allow them to become tank hunters with their mobility, or with different ammunition lay down covering smoke for advancing infantry, or frag grenades to clear out the zerg and make it dangerous for the horde to clump up creating a new meta game within combat requiring more tactics than bodies.

Or you can feel free to add something to the conversation besides snide remarks, or not, up to you.
    • Up x 1
  10. ruin103

something different might be good since hacking is already in the game.

I was thinking that locking a terminal for a period of time could be useful. Could call it 'sabotage' or 'overload' maybe. In the heat of a battle not being able to use the terminal for a minute or 2 might be useful. Could possibly upgrade it with certs for more time.

For mine, hack is good in 1 v 1 situations when a non inf is around. In a battle or with a few enemy round chances are they will just hack it back. A short lock that doesnt consume c4/ammo would be unique and useful at the right time
  11. gunshooter

So wait, you legitimately believe that Infiltrators are better than LA.

Amazing.
  12. Z-Rex

I don't see any part of his original statement that actually says flat out that Infiltrators are better than LA, but simply that LA lacks any additional utility compared to other classes. One could easily sub out Infiltrator for almost any other class purely for the sake of comparison.

It does seem as if LA is lacking in having an additional and exclusive mechanic that most the other classes have, and I for one would like to see something more than just being able to jetpack and flank people or get over walls/buildings, and actually contribute to their unit.

Now do you actually have anything constructive to add?
  13. Corway

Are you illiterate?

At no point did I specify that any class was inherently better or worse than one another. I simply drew the comparison because I used their skill as an example of a potential enhancement. All I did was quite literally itemize their unique special abilities and weapons. This could be done across all the classes. All of that was just to point out that everyone has multiple valuable tools where we have one viable tool and zero support based tools unique to our class.

Try reading before you comment and if you have nothing to offer just ignore it.
    • Up x 2
  14. shahryar

hmmmmm

how about EMP darts or jamming.
    maybe a dart that disables terms temporarily

or radar jamming similar to the radar jamming from killzone 3
  15. hostilechild

I play infiltrator but when playing LA i would love to hack terminals.
    Just remember, you will be killed lots while hacking them by your own guys wanting the terminal/turret kill exp :eek:
    You will also rarely find them undestroyed unless get there really early (both friendly an enemy destroy them, sometimes when defending we destroy the terms to prevent hacking by enemy infil if we know the deck is lost).

This might add some flavor to the game as remember the enemy LA will have it too, so terms/turrets etc will swap around a lot more (could turn into good exp) Currently infiltrator dies a lot trying to get to them, LA will not die as much and can actually fight in CQC, infiltrator no longer has a shotgun and sucks in close (except for my bouncing betty if you chase me).