Hacking turrets observation

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Get2dachoppa, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Get2dachoppa

I approach an occupied turret. Cloaked, uncloaked...doesn't seem to really matter because its happened in both circumstances. I start hacking the turret and shortly afterwards, before the hack is finished, the occupant suddenly jumps out and in almost all cases immediately begins firing on me. Exactly how do they know I'm even there?

It happened again where I air dropped into a base, cloaked and approached a turret (so much noise I didn't think my cloak sound would be noticed). Guy immediately jumps out about a quarter way through the hack. I'm just getting a bit curious and somewhat suspicious how these people know they are getting hacked.
  2. AnuErebus

My guess you got a unlucky and they just jumped out at the inopportune time. Best advice for hacking turrets, never hack from the back if you can avoid it. Crawl around to the other side where they can't see you if they jump or are kicked out. Also, when hacking you can still move, look around and shoot so long as you're holding down E and don't move more than a few meters away. Also, if you're running mines it doesn't hurt to throw one down before you head to the other side, they'll catch the occupant should they leave.
  3. Rohxer

I can hear the cloaking sound on top of combat spam, so your victim probably does as well. Just drop a mine down behind the turret before you start hacking, circle around to the side or front of the turret so you don't get hit by the explosion, then hack away. If you don't have a mine, you can still try to crouch and move around to the front of the turret if possible so you see them if they pop out. Even if you render to them before they render to you it may take them a moment to see you around the front side of the turret.

It can be tricky in certain situations, but people have become wise to the ways of the infiltrator. Unless you run up uncloaked, you have to assume they hear you. And even if not, they still may see your dot on the mini-map from a nearby radar. It's not as easy as it used to be. Just put yourself in their position and think about what you'd do if you suspected an infiltrator was near and possibly hacking you...
  4. Get2dachoppa

I've had problems hacking from the sides because the turret changes its shape and position so sometimes it ends up blocking my FOV to where the target appears. I could understand "oh he just jumped out at a lucky time" but I've noticed it a bit too often to think it was lucky timing (for them anyway). In the time I watch the turret on my approach, I usually don't see any indication like "hey, this guy isn't shooting anymore, maybe he'll jump out soon". I would figure a guy actively shooting at targets wouldn't just randomly jump out of his turret RIGHT when I start hacking, but this is what I've had happen multiple times.

Maybe it is a radar issue. :mad: