Hacking and You.. What You Need To Know!!

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Kon, Dec 2, 2012.

1. VampireCrono

this is awesome and exactly what i have requested of higby via twitter

EDIT: also it would be great if infiltrators could virus a base and corrupt the spawn tubes so that they have a cooldown, like infantry deploying every 10 seconds as opposed to deploying as many times and whenever the person wants to
  2. Stormlight666

Now if they could change it so an infiltrators cloak doesn't lose energy if you're not moving it truly would be the PS2 version of a PS1 infiltrator. Especially with those hacking cert tree skills.
  3. Kon

well that's what the stalker cloak is meant to be, if it is ever implemented... according to the old highlight information it was permenent if you weren't moving and you could only carry a pistol, thing is it would have to be perfectly invisible while moving not how it is now where i can spot infil so easily he might as well run uncloaked
  4. Nekryyd

I fully appreciate that the Infiltrator needs a bit more to "do", I honestly do... I main as one, happily I might add. What do I think? Well...

I think what you suggest is too powerful. This is coming from someone who mains as an Infiltrator. It is alsofar too dramatic of a shift to be implemented.
    Things I don't like:
    • REK tool : I don't want to be even MORE vulnerable whilst hacking. In PS1 you could stay cloaked while you hacked, so not having a weapon out was no big deal. 'Course, Infiltrators were nigh-incapable of killing anything, so it's not like they were a threat anyway.
    • Hacking vehicles : In PS1, this was balanced by the fact that you REQUIRED a certification for the vehicle you were hacking to drive it once you swiped it. PS2 has no such thing. Also, I can usually pretty easily hack an enemy vehicle terminal, making the usefulness of this tactic mostly limited to taking enemy Sunderers, which would happen ALL THE DAMN TIME. In PS1, the AMS truck was protecting by a cloaking field. Sundies have no such luxury, and are pretty easy to spot. You couldn't turn your back on your Sundy for 5 seconds before it was stolen.
    • Hacking Mana Turrets : NO. Not for "your own use". Over-powered, as NO class other than Engie can deploy and operate them. I COULD get behind hacking them to disable and/or rig them to explode if the user overheats it.
    • Pinning all of this to a Stalker Cloak requirement : NOOOO. This is disastrous. The tradeoff of a Stalker Cloak (if we ever see it return from the grave of Beta) is permanent invisibility in exchange for being restricted to a sidearm. Thing is : The sidearms in PS2 are actually worth something as opposed to what they were in PS1 due to the now lower TTK. And now it would ALSO get a heaping **** ton of new hacker abilities only IT gets slathered all atop that, leaving the entirety of the rest of the Infiltrator options stuck with vanilla hacking options? NO.
    • Get ready for the slowest cert gain EVER, considering the way things are currently balanced.
    Now, all that said... I think the hacking ability needs and will get more elaboration down the road. All of those suggestions, however, completely kick the balance of things in the nuts, and are based on what should be now considered ancient history. PS1 style cloaker is NOT compatible with PS2. We need to start with some more basic types of things and work from there. Some easier, less dramatic ideas:
    • Implement DOORS (or they can be person-sized energy shields to fit in with what's already there) : In PS1, door-hacking was the Infiltrator's most routine of duties. If we had some doors, we wouldn't even need THAT many, that could only be passed through by allies unless hacked by an Infiltrator, it could go a LONG way towards making the Infiltrator more universal and also help base defending quite much.
    • Reprogramming : A good hacking cert, IMO, would be to give Infiltrators the ability to hack, disarm, and reprogram enemy combat deployables (other than just Mana Turrets).
    More on Reprogramming
    • Stage 1 would let you have a sort of "trap vision". Think of something like the Hacker perk from CoD. It lets you see enemy deployables (Mana Turrets, Ammo Boxes, AT and AP mines, Squad Beacons, etc) by highlighting them on your HUD, allowing you to see them even through walls. 50 certs.
    • Stage 2 lets you hack a deployable to disable it. It remains on the worldspace, but can no longer be used by anyone, friend or foe. 250+ certs.
    • Stage 3 lets you completely reprogram the deployable's nanites to reconstruct the object for your faction or otherwise sabotages it. So enemy mines become friendly mines of the same type, enemy ammo boxes supply your friends, squad beacons become friendly, etc. Things like Mana Turrets could possibly be set to have some manner of power surge when overheating, destroying the turret and causing damage to the operator. 700+ certs Infiltrator gains perhaps half or less XP when converted deployables are used/kill enemies (kills still added to total).
    • Stage 2 and 3 hacks can be reversed by an an enemy Infiltrator provided they have enough skill (ie - An Infi with Stage 2 can only reverse Stage 2). Reversing a Stage 3 reverts it to a disabled state, then hacking again restores it as normal. Completing a Stage 2 and Stage 3 hack also net you XP independently, and would have their own independent cap from one another. IE - A stage 3 hack nets you 60 XP altogether.
    TL;DR > NO. PS1 style Cloakers are inherently incompatible with PS2. We need a NEW way of doing things.
    • Up x 1
  5. Kon

yay for people who haven't read all the posts in this thread, as i have stated previously what i listed for types of hacking were merely just a way to explain and demonstrate the types of hacking that could be implemented.

The REK tool takes the place of the sensor dart not a weapon so you can still carry all your weapons, and hack just like now, it carries basically the same risk actually TBH the REK would have a larger range so probably have more survivability, because you could hack from cover they don't know what doors are and it would require a complete redesign of all the bases in the game so that wont happen

Reasoning behing giving hacking on a tool is that it allows SOE to balance Hacking like they do other upgrades like nanoweave / flak armour etc etc it fits with the way SOE want the game to run without majorly changing the entire game design

also the basics of what i suggest wouldn't require stalker cloak, the stalker cloak was to be limited to the advanced stuff like hacking(jacking) vehicles as it essentially steals another players item it requires something extreme to balance it so tieing it to stalker would mean you have chosen to hide and avoid confrontation completely to be able to hack an enemy vehicle and drive off with it.

cert gain is what it is, until SOE change it from Farmside 2 to Planetside 2 you get slow cert gain for anything other than that
  6. Nekryyd

Yay for people with no reading comprehension... As I stated, your examples are unfeasible, and harken back to a system that doesn't exist anymore.

I never suggested it would replace a weapon. Just that you would be squatting out in the open, uncloaked (unless you are now also saying Stalker Cloak should allow you to hack whilst cloaked - even more OP) with a REK in your hands rather than a gun, at the ready. TBH, looking back on it, I never did like the REK. I didn't understand the "hacking" involved, you were just shooting a beam of evil nanites that magically did the hacking for you. I wish we had something more of a very short minigame - but that's a topic for another day. Also, TBH, the whole REK thing is the least of my concerns that I addressed.

Right now I can hack with my back turned to the object I'm hacking, with my gun drawn, sights up, pointed at anything that might come my way. Nope. Next...

ORLY? They are already putting in underground tunnels, which is much trickier to do from both a design and resource perspective than it would be to implement a 1-way shield similar to what ALREADY EXISTS IN THE GAME (eg - the exact same shields that protect the entrances to spawn rooms). Just put those same shields in a few more key doorways, and add a simple "control panel" that can be hacked and VOILA. ERMERGERD DERS.

Then why didn't they put in a REK from the get go? Also, I don't understand why you would "need" it for balance purposes.

You say THIS.

But then you say THAT. Sooo... It's not required, but it is? Anyway, you missed the point entirely. A theoretical Stalker Cloak would already be balanced by the fact that they are the only Infiltrator that gets permanent cloaking at the cost of being able to use a rifle. However, considering I can, and have, dropped enemies in a handful of seconds with my sidearm, the killing potential of this cloak can't be underestimated. The loss of the rifle is NOT balanced with theoretical "advanced hacking" abilities. It is balanced with the permanent cloaking.

So, put another way... Just the Stalker Cloak ALONE is balanced as a "sidegrade" against the other cloaking devices. Giving EXTRA hacking abilities to it puts it OUT OF BALANCE.

No, just no. When I am carrying a sniper rifle, I ALWAYS swap to my pistol when running or when I enter a building or other enclosed area. The pistols are very capable weapons at short ranges in PS2. Again, this is notPS1. If I had a Stalker Cloak, I'd be able to pull off tons of wicked assassinations using my Beamer and frag grenades. You could still be entirely kill-focused if you wanted to, it would only change how you killed your enemies. PERMANENT CLOAK is the "something extreme" that balances it.

I'm not against cert gain, we just need to shift XP gain to benefit support, defense and logistics actions as much as it does attack and capture actions.

Anyway, the bottom line is that you're trying to shoehorn the PS1 cloaker into PS2 without taking into account everything else in PS2 that has changed. To implement what you suggest would require a huge rework of the entire game. The Infiltrator is already a good class as it is. It's a lot easier to simply tweak what's there a little bit, and expand upon it rather than try and fit a a square peg in a round hole.

Also, what you suggest would do nothing for Infiltrators that didn't have this hypothetical Stalker Cloak/Advanced REK Hacking combination. So it would entirely fragment the class. No again. And again and again. No. Doing something as relatively (compared to your idea of nano worms and vehicle jacking and all sorts of massive changes that throw balance under the bus) simple as adding in hackable door shields would instantly make Infiltrators a required class in every squad.

Adding the ability to detect and hack enemy deployables would further up the ante. As it stands, even doing THAT much would probably get many players out there to start crying for a nerf, but you also want the Infiltrator to basically be able to screw with everything in the game.

Just in case I haven't made it clear...

HOW IT'S BROKEN

1. Hacking vehicles, again, would make it almost impossible to deploy AMS Sundies for any appreciable length of time (or do you expect players to squat on the AMS and do nothing but boring anti-cloaker guard duty?).
    2. You are creating a class variant that can still kill very effectively, can hack terminals and turrets, can be permanently cloaked, can steal AND use enemy vehicles and Mana Turrets, can disable enemy spawns, can hack ALL turrets SIMULTANEOUSLY, can bring down all enemy shields, can cancel out base benefits, SINGLEHANDEDLY.
    3. It gives the short end of the stick to Infiltrators that don't have this OP Stalker Cloak/Uber-Hack combination.
    So explain to me again how:

1. Using the Anti-Personnel Shields ALREADY IN THE GAME, and making them hackable is somehow impossible to implement. One could simply add these to existing doorways around some of the more key objectives (like the now practically defenseless shield generators in Tech Plants) and other strategically important buildings (like where some capture points are) and it would be a huge difference both for Infiltrators AND for base defense.
    2. Being able to see enemy deployables through walls and potentially hack them is either A) Not useful B) More over-powered compared to your ideas, C) Also "impossible" to implement or D) All of the above.
    But hey, there's at least one thing I think you had a very GREAT idea about:

So, you have my vote on that one. You also have my vote that hacking needs to be expanded upon... Just not how you're suggesting.
  7. Arcanum

Partially automated turrets would add a lot more depth to the game and more usefulness for the infiltrator/engineer classes.
    It doesn't even give you XP 100% of the time.
  8. TheRunDown

I would Prefer that the "REK" was a Universal tool and Hacking Efficiency was the only skill.
    You either carry a REK or a Med kit.
    Where as the other hacking Certs would lay within Hacking Tree of the Infiltrator.

That way, Hack and Hold could come back to this terribly circler territory game.
  9. michigori

Nice vbrow! I really enjoy it and i hope they will make those changes exept for the Nano worms.
    Continue!
  10. michigori

Kon?
    Can i put the link in my description so people come to the post? People must know!
  11. Kon

as stated IDEAS, where just to illustrate the point, i am not fussed about whether they are released anything like what i suggested. the idea of the REK is based on the same principles of the other "TOOL" guns in this game yes it will make you vulnerable while you hack but to affect meaningful change in this game you should be vulnerable, repairing something , reviving someone or healing quickly
    if it makes you vulnerable while you hack the hacking can make a meaningful change on the game enviroment

Do as you like michigori
  12. Celair

Might want to update that bit on cloaking sounds, infils have empire-specific cloak and decloak sounds.
  13. michigori

Yeah i really like that, even if it's easy to hear even at 75 meters.
  14. Anvildude

From what I've seen the TR sound is practically whisper quiet compared to VAnu and NC.
  15. Lincoln E

Anything to make hacking better would be great.
  16. Rhinzual

You don't understand man, trying to get kills with the Beamer is so much better than the mainstreamers who all go Manticore or SMGs!
  17. ArcKnight

+1 I supported older version of this thread as well, though I highly doubt the worm s should not be imlemented
  18. o.Solei.o

These are some pretty decent suggestions. I'm all for both LA and Infil getting more team-support powers. I'm not sure how it would play out with the current state of the game though. Additionally, part of the problem we've got with all classes getting any kind of serious make-over at the moment is we are locked into a 5 slot system, with only one item for each type. ("Ability", "suit", "utility", etc.)
  19. Kon

ive had some thoughts on this recently, what if you removed the sensor dart tool for the infiltrator but gave them a remote sensor deploy-able that would cost like 35 resources has range enhancements with certs and you can cert to carry more ( takes up same slot as bouncing betties ) imagine putting down a sensor that remains for 20 minutes or until destroyed ( destroying gives you a large notification) same functionality as the dart basically but larger radius and permanent to a point would free up the tertiary slot for the REK

this would work well with utility pouch if it was reworked to be each level of utility pouch allows you to carry an additional different utility ie

you carry sensors you cannot carry BB's with level 1 Utility Pouch you can carry 1 BB level 2 is 2BB's etc etc then give each class additional utilities

Infil BB's/Motion Sensors
    LA - C4/ BB's
    Medic - Only C4(Revive nades should be cheaper to offset)
    Engineer - Mines/BB's
    HA - Only C4

ill expand on this in a proper thread but will see
  20. Foehunter

I love it. This is what needs to be in the game for the Infiltrator. As it stands, the Infiltrator is nothing more than a cloaking sniper.