HA in a supporting role.

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by P3YCH, Apr 14, 2015.

1. P3YCH

Hello, I could not find a post about this when searching, so I decided to start up a thread.
    I want to talk about exploring methods and possible builds for using the HA in a more supporting role.

The main way that I have seen the HA used in a supporting role in-game is in the use of providing suppressing fire. Whether it's a doorway or some some boulder they are creeping around, by simply trying to keep the firing lanes filled with lead, suppressing fire can have a great effect of keeping the enemy where they are.
    I know the idea is fairly obvious and is already utilized a lot in-game. So what might you say are some other ideas? Lets brainstorm a little.

And what might you say are some good guns and builds? When it comes to guns, I'm certain that LMGs with a high magazine capacity would be essential. But how critical would accuracy and damage at range be an issue? (most times I have seen suppressing fire used, or have used myself, it was over medium to long range distances). I can be very certain that the suit of the HA for support should definitely have an ammunition pouch equipped, or upgrades to nanoweave armor.

What are your thoughts?
  2. Zoobe

Although it is cool to theorize about this, I do not think suppressing fire in PS2 is a thing. It just does not work. For one, the TTK is kinda long, and your targets will duck back in cover without being killed. HA-s will simply pop shields and return fire, until they get you, or you are suppressed enough to be jumped. In games like insurgency, suppression is real, and you simply cannot peak and take fire to return it, it is not in PS2.

The client side, and lag comp works fully against you too doing this. Even up close, a HA will go through the door, popped shield and kill that person suppressing the door with a advantage, might be a trade at worst but the problem is solved and team mates are in behind. Client side and lag comp, plays into the hands of the aggressor, not the suppressor.

Any of the big LMGs is good enough to do what you are talking about, and resist shield with ASC works good to keep your downtime to a min and the firing lane, firing. However you are better of advancing that position and trying to kill the enemies there I think.
  3. Erendil

Suppressive fire absolutely exists in PS2. Any time you have interrupted an enemy's ability to wage war by firing at them without killing them, you have suppressed him. Bio Lab air pad and teleporter standoffs are classic examples of this. The defenders can keep the enemy suppressed for hours so they can't leave the teleporter room or air pad and enter the dome.

I personally find the most success suppressing enemy forces with long range weapons. I think it's because the enemies I try to suppress generally can't effectively return fire since most people in this game run around with close/medium range weapons. So their only choices are to hide/flee or die.

Battle rifles can be quite good at this. I've stopped whole squads from advancing by unloading mag after mag into a bottleneck they have to traverse in order to attack - like a foot bridge, long hallway, etc. And MAXes definitely DO NOT like to be shot by them. AV MAXes always duck for cover whenever I start laying into them.

And of course the Lasher is the king of suppression. 3+ Lashers spamming a doorway and nothing short of a MAX crash will have a chance at getting through.

The Lancer is also quite good at suppressing vehicles due to its extreme range and accuracy. Even a Prowler or Vanguard will retreat once I start shooting them.
    • Up x 3
  4. Gutseen

get 30 maxes, get a few HA to drawn attention, get erryone REKT by pounder spam
  5. TerminalT6

Funny you bring this up, I tried out a suppression-styled HA (T9 CARV-S w/ Ext. Mags) in the latest Connery vs. Emerald Server Smash. The following is my guide to effectively suppressing the enemy, which probably doesn't work in normal gameplay, but there's no end-all guide to anything in this game, so...

1. Stand on/near the enemy's point of interest.
    2. Identify the enemy's prime point of entry (where they enter your line of sight).
    3. When the enemy is in sight, activate shield (Resist, preferably)
    4. Apply head-level dakka.
    If you have allies around you, you can put down large groups of people pretty quickly. Great fun.
  6. _itg

For suppressing fire, I think uptime is far more important than any other stat, so, as you mentioned, high-capacity weapons would be ideal. Fortunately, all of these LMGs are also pretty good at range.

Don't be so sure. Any time you're suppressing a position, there should be plenty of allies around and therefore ammo packs, or at least a terminal nearby. Nanoweave makes sense if you're running NMG or adrenaline shield, but the resist shield/ASC combo, with its unparalleled uptime, may be the superior choice here.
  7. KnightCole

HA totally doesnt need to become like BF3 LMGs, useless, inaccurate and **** in every way....
    • Up x 1
  8. P3YCH

Great feedback! I haven't had the chance to look at the posts since I started this thread and am really happy with a lot of things people have said.

Really?! I had not considered battle rifles. I had heard they were a little ineffective, but I have not played with them hardly at all in VR. I shall test them out with careful consideration on ammo capacity and damage on different units.

Just to clarify _itg, is uptime the amount of time one would is able to shoot (not stuck in reloading)? If so, I suppose gun reload time would be an important factor as well.
  9. xthezerohunter

I hear VS Heavy using the Lasher x2 with Ext. Mags works well for supressive fire.
    • Up x 1
  10. Littleman

Anyone that says suppressive fire doesn't work either hasn't realized they don't willingly march into a hail of oncoming bullets, or is too dense to notice they're walking into a hail of oncoming bullets and doesn't really get why they just died.

Suppressive fire works mostly because people are K/D mongers and generally the idea of stepping out into a hail of bullets is pretty stupid. The real problems with suppressive fire though are that they tank your accuracy stat and if done improperly, will prevent friend and foe alike from making a push.
    • Up x 1
  11. Khallixtus

Suppressing fire can definitely be a thing, but is a problem for most other than TR, seeing as NC and VS are prone to running out of ammo, although some LMGs on their side still have great ammo. The main reason it works is because not many people are willing to brave the 12 bullets I'm putting through that door every second, aside from another Heavy running NGM/Adrenaline or a max.

It can work extremely well however, as at one point in a Biolab fight over their shield generator, we had about 10-15 people dead, and me and 2 medics alive in the room, with one minute left on it. Although there were about 5 VS standing outside the door, they really weren't willing to walk in the stream of lead and pain I was putting through it, especially after one tried crouching in at head height (it was a really dumb thing to do) and got what was coming to him. In the end we got everyone alive again right as I ran out of ammo and we had 8 VS come into the room, only to be gunned down.

But suppressing fire doesn't always work too well, especially as with long periods of firing causes large spread, meaning a HA or someone with Nanoweave and Battle Hardened can just walk into the fire and get their accurate shots off.

But that's the only supporting a HA can really do, but they were designed to be the one being supported, not supporting.