Guns that seem naff in VR, that work great in-game?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by ManyHats, Oct 22, 2013.

1. ManyHats

Anyone trialled (or unlocked) any weapons in live, that turned out to be way better than their performance in the VR would suggest?

I'm nominating the Nyx and the Lancer, these are WAY better in live than their VR performance would suggest. (also, anyone picked any weapons that seemed great in test/vr, only to be sorely disappointed in live?)
    • Up x 1
  2. Chowley

EM1 and Gauss Compact.
  3. libbmaster

The Pandora.

Nothing can prepare you or your enemies for the horrors a fully automatic shotgun can inflict upon a tower packed with bad guys.

Also +1 to the lancer. When used in groups that thing is pure butt-whooping.

I'm more concerned about weapons that seem great in the VR but suck in live. I've been extensively demoing the VA55 Corvus, the Flare and the Pulsar C because they all seem like monstrous murder machines at range. (Something I need in my arsenal). Can any Vanu attest to these weapon's performance on live?
  4. Rak

Luperza swears by the Flare and is pretty awesome with it.
    • Up x 1
  5. Corporate Thug

+1 for the Nyx/Shadow, I have yet to try the TR version though it will probably be similar. Once you get used to those bullet velocities it's pretty fun. One of the most rewarding ways to kill in this game. Hip firing shielded heavies to death feels amazing.
  6. Tommyp2006

I'll agree with the lancer, I made a VS alt just to buy a lancer when it was on sale and play with it, really enjoyed it, not great in all situations, but that's why it's so easy to switch loadouts, gives you a nice alternate role from the stock.

On the TR side, the T16 and the SOAS both seem to perform much better in live fire than they do in VR. The T5 AMC is definitely one of those weapons as well.
  7. ThunderSock

Haven't bought a lot of guns, but I like Pulsar C because you don't have to burst at range, and if you do burst you're better off because single shots do more damage. I actually like the hipfire because I can't aim and the larger cone of fire hits a larger area. With higher damage per bullet and normal bullets per mag I can also get more kills per mag. At least I think that's why I like it, I'm not sure.
  8. Liewec123

anything with splash, splash currently doesn't work in VR (well not on the target dummies anyway)
    Lasher and PPA for example will seem utterly **** in VR but are really good against closely grouped infantry

as for the "better in VR" EM6 has advanced laser sight in VR which is the only reason i bought the gun, it doesn't have it in the actual game (kinda a con there SoE!) though its a great gun without it.

falcons, comets, fractures and pounders all lose their convergence issue when used on the dummies in the firing range giving you a false impression of how they handle in the actual game.
  9. Chipay

NS Patriot flare gun
  10. Mostadio

The corvus is a tricky gun. Some people swear by it, some people hate it. It requires good burst control for longer range targets due to its recoil as opposed to something like the NS-11A or CME that can dump an entire mag at range and have almost every shot connect. It's great in mid-long range where you can bet on poor players missing most of their shots and your nanites being able to outheal the ones that do connect. In close range it's absolute garbage due to its low RPM. Very situational.
  11. Liquid23

true... I had someone PM me a while after a Biolab fight where my entire squad spammed them into the capture point claiming I "broke his GPU" and he only lost because his PC shut itself down
    • Up x 3
  12. Accuser

The TAR.
    It has an excellent balance of good hipfire, great rate of fire, and limited recoil that only shines when you're in a heated few vs many situation. Plus it only costs 100 certs!
  13. Metal Insomniac

The Jackhammer.

I haven't even bought it yet, sadly. Just the trial version is quite beastly. Using it in the VR, it felt like another piece of NC garbage.
    • Up x 1
  14. libbmaster

Really? In the VR I found the VA55 kept it's cone of fire tighter than both the CME and the NS-11A under full auto.

Well, we found two more guns for the list!