Gunning for a lib is headache inducing cancer.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by OSruinedPS1, Feb 28, 2023.

1. OSruinedPS1

The pilot is constantly janking around all over the place expecting you to hit aircraft and ground targets you can only see for 1/5th a second. Not everybody smokes crack, brah.

Gunning for a liberator is simultaneously a headache inducing cancer, a weak bomber, and an OP AA gun. How to fix all that: prevent the belly gun from being able to fire when aircraft is pitching or banking more than 30 degrees, then rebalance liberator around that new paradigm (buff).

Back in Planetside 1 gunning for a BFR sucked for the very same reason, that was also headache inducing cancer. You were either bouncing from walking animation, or jumping half a map away to avoid being hit.
    • Up x 1
  2. Liewec123

i don't think lib needs an A2G buff, it already 4 shots MBTs with dalton,
    and MBT's can't escape it, nor can they outgun it with a puny walker/ranger.

but i totally agree that the the AA potential of dalton is silly
    (and completely unnecessary since you can already kill an ESF with 2 and a bit volleys of auto-aiming Hyena missiles from the tail.)

if i could change lib i would reduce the agility so they can't tilt left/right as fast
    and make it drop out of the sky like a brick if the belly tilts too far away from horizontal.
    • Up x 2
  3. OSruinedPS1

None of that makes belly gunning any more viable for the non-crack smoking user.
  4. Cleridwen

I think that's a coordination/expectation issue. I've been gunning a lib on and off with a friend, we're both kinda starting off with the aircraft and learning on our sides as well as together. I used to think gunning was a headache, but that quickly went away. The pilot has a serious job when it comes to giving the belly gunner the correct angles to hit targets, and the gunner has a job as well, spotting targets (especially air) when fighting.

I'm no pilot, and honestly I have probably flown a liberator myself not more than a minute and half total, but I'm sure there's a lot to learn as a pilot too, deciding which fights to pick and when to bail. I'd say it's possible to be a lib gunner without having flown one, but being a lib pilot without having ever gunned one hardly sounds possible to me, as you wouldn't be aware of the restrictions the belly gunner has to hit targets.

Being a lib gunner can very much feel claustrophobic, restrictive, and punishing, but with a pilot who knows how to play, and, most importantly, is here to have fun and cheer when you hit an ESF, not blame you for missing shots, is likely to going to get the annoying parts out of the way pretty quickly. Being nice to your teammates benefits everyone, yourself included! Managing to make things work with your gunner/pilot is only going to make things more fun. And if piloting or gunning a specific vehicle isn't your play style, that's okay! I personally think that the Liberator is an overall pretty balanced aircraft against most targets it can encounter, which isn't something to say lightly in this game.
  5. tigerchips

Decouple aiming from turning would solve that problem, it's something i talked about 8 years ago, there is a similar option in Battlefield 4.
  6. JibbaJabba

Pilot and gunner coordination problem.

Yaw doesn't impact gunner aim. Pilot should be using it during gun runs, then pivot back to traditional roll/pitch when evading or when gunner is reloading (if applicable).

This usually flares up when you have a pilot has less gun experience