Gu09 long range sniping nerf.

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by insane2170, May 23, 2013.

1. insane2170

Ok so in the patch notes SOE claims to have fixed dot visibility when using an unsilenced weapon.

For a sniper with an x12 scope who avoids silencer bullet spit drop of fail, the above fix makes it harder for him to be effective.

It now involves more skill, and you have to hide more, better, and be more careful about your targets. Be prepared to move often.

Having said that, some major fights have now moved significantly. Don't expect to be in the same base for long.

Any thoughts? I was thinking of giving the old silencer fail some testing in VR and buy a shorter range scope to counter the bullet drop. I think an x10 would do better.
  2. AnuErebus

So it's back to normal then? This bug hasn't been around for very long. I've always been a part of the camp that believes snipers not using a suppressor when away from a large group of enemies are kindly painting themselves as a kill me please sign every-time they shoot. Suppressors aren't that big of a deal when you know your ranges well enough to compensate for the drop, I have no problems killing people out to 200m with suppressors while I've made a few shots up to 300m. I personally prefer an 8x when using a suppressor.
    • Up x 3
  3. Ztiller

Hang on. They fixed a bug, related to every class in the game, that caused you to not show up on the radar when firing, and you compain and call it a nerf?

Jesus christ. Will you guys ever give it a break?

I use the Silencer all the time. Use it, or don't expect to get the benefits of one.
    • Up x 3
  4. Jac70

If you're using a x12 you'll likely be out of range of the minimap anyway - at least for troops who will have the map zoomed.
  5. Rustygun

I never had an issue with showing up on the minimap after shooting: shoot, cloak, repeat. Usually do it fast enough that they don't notice.
  6. ShadowAquilaX

Good. Now all the lame/no-skill sniping spam will be put in check.
    A buddy of mine sits in enemy bases for hours and hours, whoring his K/D like it was something to be proud of because of that bug. Heck I've done it too, but it's boring as all hell and I felt dirty for being so cheap.
    I mean players that are terrible at FPS games have KDRs of 2+. I'm a pretty average player (better than my buddy that's for sure) and had a KDR of 1.8 before I joined an outfit. (now it's 1.2 because we do a lot of testing and training that involve dying alot plus we take on the strongest outfits all the time like)
    One day he came up to me started bragging about his 80+ session K/D. I got mad bro. Told him to stop being cheap and exploiting the bugs in the game.
    I know K/D means diddly poo in this game, but too many ppl don't see it that way. There's no end game or meta game, so nothing else to do than nurse your KDR after doing sky-whale wars and flash/sunderer races right?
    that's my 2 cents on the topic (more like 5 dollars but keep the change)
    • Up x 2
  7. DeathSparx

I've made it along fine with a 12x on both my Parallax and my Longshot without getting noticed...much. Since I don't have a suppressor, for me it's really all about the hiding spot. Plus, I also have maxed out nanoweave armor so I can survive those headshots of the few infiltrators alert enough to find me and actually nail a headshot (as opposed to 3-4 fail body shots that I can easily heal up with my medpacks). However, if I even hear an enemy cloak near me or pop up on my minimap, I'm going to either hunt them down or run...

The point is to adapt, even if that means picking up the suppressor and relearning how to snipe with it.

I could easily say the same thing about maxes but we both know that it's not true. My point is that sniping does take skill; you have to pick a good spot and account for bullet drop and leading (if your target is moving)--it's an entire ordeal. Sure, you're buddy probably is a good sniper and nothing else (on top of the fact that he probably was exploiting a bug but we'll ignore that for now). K/D to snipers is a big deal because, quite frankly that's all they can do so it's a measure of how well they're doing their job.

Personally, I measure myself not only on my K/D but also how many bases I've capped/defended because I also do CQC Infiltrator stuff and it's pretty high for my level (or atleast I like to think so).
    • Up x 2
  8. giltwist

Doesn't using a silencer significantly reduce teh range at which you can OHK, even without the nanoweave issues? Why even bother with a 12x scope if you can't possibly OHK.
  9. AnuErebus

Suppressors reduce velocity. Damage is the exact same.
  10. iller

Sure feels like it to me.... I'd post the video proving it but I think everyone here's already seen it already and half of them claimed the shots just missed even though the Game-Confirmed head shot-kill that followed that shot was aimed at the exact same height and only produced a red 'X' instead a real 'Reticle Headshot' indicator like all other headshot kills do at even longer ranges ranges with the suppressor (aimed at the exact same height)

IOW: A lot of ppl in this forum are just bad trolls. They don't actually care about getting this class fixed. Changes like this one that make the class harder to play again, fill them with delight. I personally don't care because I never needed this type of advantage so I could just camp 1 spot for kills. On my server you always have to assume that someone out there has ESP or even tracelines, and will eventually notice you anyway nomatter how far away you are or how silenced you weapon is (and I've got video proof of that too).
  11. Qraven

All bolt action sniper rifles still can OHK at clip range with a silencer attached. The two detractors for using a silencer are bullet drop, and velocity. You will need to user the lower MIL-DOTs on your scope to sight in your bullet trajectory at clip range. Using a 12x Scope at these ranges typically uses the 4th MIL-DOT down. Leading targets will also need to be adjusted in order to compensate for the longer travel time of a slower velocity round.

Nano-Weave Armor on your target is the exception. This will raise the total Shields+Health above the damage of a head shot. A follow up round (prior to shields kicking in, or healing) to any part of their body will complete the kill.
    • Up x 1
  12. Vaphell

i've seen a description of suppressors claiming they also reduce max dmg and min dmg ranges. Sadly there was no info about bolt actions, but in case of semi-autos the numbers reportedly were 10m penalty related to max dmg range and 25m penalty for min dmg range. If the numbers were the same for bolt actions instead of 750/800dmg@10m -> 550@75/100m you'd get 750/800dmg@0m -> 550@50/75m.
  13. Aimeryan

It reduces the range at which before you reach minimum damage, but if you are greater than 100m away anyway this makes no difference. It really only matters between about 75m and 100m (in regards to the high-powered sniper rifles), and then only if the target has NW. Basically, if the target has sufficient NW to make minimum damage not OHK, and the target is between certain distances, then equiping a silencer may make the bullet deal minimum damage instead of slightly more than minimum damage and result in not getting a OHK that would have been otherwise.

In regards to the loss of velocity, this can make a fair difference since it means giving the target more time to change their own velocity before the bullet would have impacted. Basically, if the target is moving to some degree of being erratic then a slower bullet velocity will make it more difficult to hit the target (in some cases going from possible by intent to impossible by intent).
    • Up x 1
  14. insane2170

You have no place in this post. Neither was I complaining or calling whatever you guys do in game a nerf. The update has put the infiltrator at a disadvantage where there was none before. I am trying to gain knowledge by seeking the community's advice. Get off.
  15. insane2170

That's what I do, however it seems that I show up more easily on the mini map now. I am still sorting out whether Helios players were just dumber than those on Connery or if the map dot shows up more than it used to.

So many variables changed with the update that it is difficult to pin point the source. I can get 10-12 kills on average before anyone thinks of my location, but with the update that goes down to 2-3.
  16. Nyscha

I've been hunting infiltrators as my infiltrator for months now and I have no trouble seeing dots on the minimap.....
    Not like I need it anywhere when you can hear them from a mile away shooting and half a max away when they use stealth.

Not really a nerf.

And ShadowAquilaX it sounds like you are mad.
  17. insane2170

Thanks George but you already told me that. Not my fault people were too dumb to turn around at Zurvan while I got 92 kills with no death..
  18. insane2170

Ive also hit the local leaderboards rather often when I am in a good spot score-wise.
  19. illgot

It is so much easier killing mass people with an AR than from 300+ meters with a sniper rifle.
  20. Ztiller

The title of this whole post is "Long-Range Sniping Nerf"

Yet you pretend as if you never called it a nerf?

What disadvantage? The only thing that i am able to sort out from your post is that you are complaining that you show up on the radar, where as a bug previously prvented it, forcing you to use a silencer and makes it harder to snipe.

Like i said, don't complain about not getting the benefits of the Silencer when you're not using one. It's not a nerf. It's a bugfix.
    • Up x 1