[Suggestion] Graphics setting - HA overshield performance mode

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by csvfr, Feb 9, 2020.

1. csvfr

As some of you may be aware, it is possible to lose more than 50 FPS depending on HA overshield status, weapon skin, and ADS status. Of course there will be differences based on the particular hardware and game scenes but for me this causes the largest framerate drops overall. Specifically I can get:
    • ~ 110 FPS with most weapons when no overshield
    • ~ 100 FPS with most weapons with active overshield
    • ~ 80 FPS with "old" weapons (GODSAW, Anchor, etc.) when the HA overshield is active and I'm ADS
    • ~ 70 FPS with "new" weapons (Promise, Tengu, etc.) when the HA overshield is active and I'm ADS
    This was in the warpgate, the drops can be particular detiremental in biolab fights where you of course want maximal FPS for the advantage in 1 on 1 situations.

Experimenting a bit it seems like the Nanite Mesh Generator is twice as bad as the Adrenaline and Resist shield types. But there also ain't any graphic setting to turn off or degrade resource consumption of the animation. Reducing graphics quality and/or other settings gives a higher baseline FPS but the large drop is still there. I'd rather not play on low settings just for a headroom for the tiny - yet important - playtime when I'm ADS+overshielded. In fact I'd be contented with just removing the whole HA overshield animation and rather have something like a HUD indicator in its place.

So if anyone knows a hidden setting in UserOptions.ini to alleviate this issue let me know, otherwise I'd like to put it up as a suggestion.