GPU physics grayed out?

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Samus, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Chuina

Codeforge, any update on these awesome particle effects yet :)?
  2. Samus

neeeeed moooore immeeersion ... ;)
  3. Owndapwn

Hey, sorry to necro, but a lot of good information was stated in this thread.

First of all, I probably meet the hardware needs to run PhysX on the CPU, or even GPU if someone knows of modded 7970 drivers, which I've heard tales of them floating about.
    2500K@4.6-5.0GHz is pretty robust.
    I might also lurk on ebay to find a good deal on a low-end nVidia.

Is there some secret config file I can edit to enable the PhysX as-is?
    I fully understand I risk it not working until I screw around with it for a good long while and I do not expect you guys to help me fix it.
  4. Samus

No secret config file or anyway to tweak this feature... It was disabled by the devs until further notice... I would recommend you get a low end nvidia gpu dedicated for physX as AMD cards dont support it neither do cpu. I have a gtx 680 but also have a dedicated gtx580 for sound and physX. Sound + physX + graphics for one GPU is too much.
  5. BenYeeHua

But I think it might be no working in this game as it is running with physX 3.x
  6. Hydragarium

You do seem a bit confused about how this works so let me explain.

1. Your graphics card does not have anything to do with sound (never has in fact). It is all done through the CPU these days - and in a few rare cases by the soundcard in the case of Soundblaster and such.

2. PhsyX runs just fine from a CPU - it is nowhere as fast as having a dedicated CPU perform the calculations, but it isn't impossible (This is up to the game developer to allow)

3. You should never buy a "loe end" graphics card for PhysX. If it isn't fast enough to perform the PhysX in "realtime", your primary card has to keep stopping up and wait for the PhysX card to "catch up", which can cause severe FPS drops. In fact it is often more beneficial to use just the primary card for both unless you have a second card of a similar age and model.
  7. scar413

So... when do we see the glorious physx effects again? I saw them at the end of Beta, and it looked freaking awesome.
  8. -g2.-De.-Ciph3r-.eD

Ok, a bit confused myself. It was "officially" disabled BEFORE beta ended. however adding the gpuphysics=1 command to your INI seems to turn it on.

Im on an ATI card, so I don't have physx. . however if you do have a decent nvidia card, and turn it on, you should see the "special fx" with no frame hit.

Google it, try it, and see if it works. Just run to a teleporter at spawn and see if the code bleeds through instead of staying vertical.
  9. BenYeeHua

Nope, it disable by hard code it, you can't enable like this.
  10. Hydragarium

11. BenYeeHua

And nope, as I think physX 3.x which using in this game has been disable/not support for older nvidia graphic card driver, so you can't calculate the physX 3.x by using ATI to rendering the game while using weaker Nvidia graphic card to processing the physX.
  12. Hydragarium

You have NEVER been able to use AMD cards for PhysX. CPU? Yes - AMD cards? No. They do not have a PhysX chip intended for the task.
  13. BenYeeHua

And you know what I just found?
    The physX is running!!!
    That why whole the world is flashing.
    Stop doing that physX!!!
    Stop using 2 threads and make this game lag!!!
    http://puu.sh/1RybO
    • Up x 1
  14. TheEvilBlight

What program are you using for this?
  15. BenYeeHua

Process Explorer, which I can know how many threads for a game.:)
    And this show us don't use physX again...
    Remember why they disable it?
    Because it is buggy, and I think it might be has some connect for the flashing bug.
  16. TheEvilBlight

I knew I should've dug into Russinovich's sysinternals more!

Maybe I'll redownload it (reformatted computer and all) and see what it tells me about Planetside2.
  17. Gadamlu

my gods, that is one of the few "non in-game content" changes i actualy want and are looking forward too with great interest
  18. BenYeeHua

It tell you, when it don't draw anything, the engine still calculate with 20% usage, so the engine might be blocked by something.
    At first I think it is cache miss, but now I think it is waiting physX.
    • Up x 1
  19. Hydragarium

Ben... You really need to calm down. The game has ALWAYS had PhysX running to some extent.

No not the flashy particle effects that are shown in the video below - PhysX is much more than that. The game enforces a limited amount of physX for things like vehicle wrecks and whatnot. You cannot turn this off - it has to be on for everyone to see the same thing.

I stress again - NOT eyecandy, BASIC PHYSICS.

Not this

More like this
  20. Owndapwn

Forgot I'm not on a hardware forum for a second..
    Anyways, this is false.
    A GT 240 would be ample for just about every PhysX game. I'd likely get a GT 620 with a 2gb video buffer, though I might be able to find a GTX 275 for similar priced.
    I'm able to run Metro: 2033's particle PhysX on my CPU no sweat, and if you've played Metro: 2033, you'll know particle PhysX is not in short supply.