gpu limited on sli gtx 580's

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by UnrealGaz, Jan 3, 2013.

1. UnrealGaz

hi all

in small fights I am gpu limited at 60+fps full details 1980x1020 no issues at all.
    however in large scale fights I am still gpu limited that dips down too 30 fps but when I check gpu useage in MSI afterburner both cards are at 62% load not fully used and im gpu bound...how does this happen? sometimes it switches tp cpu limitation at 30fps but mostly its gpu limited without maxing my cards...any idea why?

im on an i7 3770k at 4.5ghz
    16 gig ram at 1800mhz
    sli gtx 580's on newest NVidia drivers 310.70 I think
    windows 8 pro 64bit
  2. AccelPrime

It doesn't matter how much you spend on a PC, it's as if there's a cap on how good of a performance you can get.
    I get pretty much the same FPS that you do, and i've got an i5 at 3.5ghz, 8g ram and a gtx 560 Ti. When there's just a couple of friendlies around my fps goes up to ~100, and in massive tri-factional battles i dip down to 25-30.

Let's hope that we'll see some further optimization, as it is clearly needed.
  3. UnrealGaz

definatly sli gtx 580's should destroy this game but too be gpu limited at 30fps while not maxing it is just wow
  4. UnrealGaz

can anyone else with sli gtx 580's post here please thanls.
  5. BlacKnight

I have no sli, but i have a 580, the same thing happens, the load is under 70 and the fps go down, and My CPU usage is low aswell, so it's a game thing
  6. A WakeSkate

I am running 580's SLI'ed and it does the same.:eek:
  7. HerbertKnivez

The game has not been properly optimized for SLI yet, try running the game with one.
  8. Skillet

The GPUs are just starved for data in large fights. The CPU just can't process it fast enough so they're not fully used. SLI scales fine in this game. CPU is bound, always has been, always will be.
  9. UnrealGaz

so even though it shows gpu bound and cards aren't maximised too there full use, its actually cpu bound and the game is deciveing me?
  10. Skillet

Lol, decieving you, who knows. I wouldn't put much value in Alt-F or how it calculates GPU vs CPU limitations. I'd put more value in the knowlege that your GPUs are more powerful than this game will ever need. Low FPS in large fights with 100's of players/vehicles is normal. In fact, the game is amazing, that with its level of detail, it accomplishes what it does.
  11. UnrealGaz

cheers for your input mate appreciate it
  12. Boris

I just posted in another thread about forcing higher setting than what's in game, this should use your GPU's more (when it can) but shouldn't affect FPS too much if at all.

try this in your ini, remember to make a backup of your original in case things go wrong.

[Display]
    FullscreenRefresh=0
    Maximized=0
    RenderQuality=1.200000
    FullscreenWidth=1920
    FullscreenHeight=1080
    WindowedWidth=1768
    WindowedHeight=992
    Mode=Fullscreen
    FullscreenMode=Fullscreen

[Rendering]
    GraphicsQuality=3
    TextureQuality=0
    ShadowQuality=3
    RenderDistance=1000
    Gamma=0.000000
    MaximumFPS=60
    UseLod0a=1
    OverallQuality=-1
    LightingQuality=4
    ParticleQuality=4
    EffectsQuality=4
    TerrainQuality=4
    FloraQuality=4
    ModelQuality=4
    VerticalFOV=59
    ParticleLOD=2
    ParticleDistanceScale=0.650000
    FogShadowsEnable=1
    MotionBlur=0
    VSync=0
    AO=1
    GpuPhysics=1
  13. The Flask

what power supply are you using? it might not be sufficient to run GTX 580 in SLI on a full load

quote from tom's hardware: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/329534-10-corsair-hx850-powerful-gtx580
  14. Lucanesti

I am GPU limited with 560 Ti SLI as well and get anywhere from 50-80 % load one card 1 and card 2 doesnt go over 50%
  15. CyclesMcHurtz Code Monkey

In a multi-GPU configuration, it's possible to get unusual frame rates. Sometimes one card will get more work than the other and cause an uneven frame rate (sometimes called micro-stuttering).

I would trust it completely to tell you what it's measuring, but you do need to understand that it's not measuring "load" since that doesn't really exist (load is calculated from many things). The GPU/CPU indicator is comparing the amount of time the CPU spent working (in microseconds) and the amount of time the GPU was working (also in microseconds) and then counting over time which happens more often. In the case of micro-stuttering, you can end up with strange averages that probably just tip over the CPU scale by a small amount.
    • Up x 1
  16. Boris

This is why I've steered clear of multi GPU's since trying SLi a few years back. That and some games flat out not using the other card or running worse than with one, flickering shadows in some engines, then there's the added heat and power consumption.
  17. Ruxxis

you are not gpu bound when both cards are at 62% usage.
  18. Eyeklops

Change the renderquality to 1.41 and watch your 580's melt. I get 98% usage on both gpu's of my GTX 690 and this was the only setting to do that.
  19. UnrealGaz

that i understand but the inagame alt+f measure thign says that i am so im wondering too belive it or not.

secondly im on a gold rated 800watt PSU however i have seen both cards maxed out in many other games with no problems constant 100% load.

thank you everyone for your input and soe thank you too,