Good News from Smed is Good

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Phrygen, Aug 20, 2013.

1. DrBobcat

I get the same FPS whether I run on ultra or low, render quality set at 100% or 70%, boosters or no boosters. In large battles (the game's main selling point), the game inevitably drops to 30fps or less, severely hampering infantry combat. My point is that you'd think there would be a dramatic difference in performance with such wildly different settings. There is not. That alone is a strong indicator of the game being poorly optimized.

I get that people find differing framerates tolerable. It's human nature. I do believe, however, that you and I would both benefit from a bettering of the situation. We're on the same team, ultimately.
  2. KunzeWaldemar

"the PS2 team will be shifting their priorities to focusing purely on optimization. It's unacceptable as it stands."

As i read this sentence. Is he really talking about the PC version? Maybe he is talking about the PS4 version?
    ...After month of waiting i almost lost hope. Just a little pessimistic.
  3. Czuuk

i thought this was us waiting for the lock on update.
    • Up x 1
  4. ScrapyardBob

Well, they did an optimization pass back in January, and they've been twiddling away at it along the way. I'd say there's been some improvements (20-40%), but hopefully this means they're going to do a lot more multi-core stuff (and that it helps).
  5. Phrygen

Big smed posted this

• Up x 1
  6. Reaper

If I had the choice between a ****** Free 2 Play game like PS2 has become, or a game where I have to sub and the game makers spend serious time fixing the bugs before a patch or release I would much rather pay!
  7. Sen7rygun

Ill believe it when I see it. Any even halfway decent system should be running this game at 50-60+ fps. Graphically its not a super high end product, the only crunch would come from having to run bballistics calculations from so many players at a time. If they can find a way to break this games main thread into even 2 or 3 threads we'll be seeing a massive performance improvement.
  8. Dingus148

I would call myself cautiously optimistic but the devs have demonstrated a track record of unreliability. They may have the best of intentions but their constant over-promising/under-delivering has eroded my confidence. I'd like to see them hire some new blood if only to make the workload more manageable, but SOE is a company...Delivering on past promises comes second to keeping costs down

Hoping my fears are groundless
    • Up x 2
  9. NinjaTurtle

I love how it has taken nearly a year for them to focus on optimization all the time pushing content back further and further.

Think this may be a good time to take a long break from the game then.

No Hossin and no Infiltrator update makes me a sad turtle

[IMG]
  10. ItsJustDash

I may be doing the same, just logging in for the daily certs and checking the deals. This is really something that should have been worked on and you know fixed months ago. Not ooops sorry guys we will get on it now because we noticed a large amount of people quitting.

I mean I really love this game, if I did not I would not have sunk the time and money into it. Hell I have already sunk enough money into this game I could have at least bought 5 full priced brand spanking new games.

There is a line to be drawn though, optimization has been brought up, asked, and begged since Beta. Yeah it is better, but the state of this game in the performance department is what really drove me to be a pilot. In the air you don't have to deal with a lot of the lag besides in the large fights. Now heh, the lag is there too.
  11. NinjaTurtle

Exactly, SOE should be optimizing as they go. If they can't then where are we going to be in a few game updates or a few months... right back where we are now.

They need a team dedicated to this all the time not 9 months down the line when they are bleeding players decide to put everyone on it

It was all the new shiny things that keep me interested each update.

If there is going to be nothing new for the next couple months then it will get a little stale
  12. ItsJustDash

Fun thing is I know a lot of people are in the same boat as I am in. Pilots have been saving certs since the announcement of the ESF update. I hit 8K then spent some and I back close to it again. The ESF update and the lockon tweak were I was looking most forward to. I just don't know now v.v
  13. NinjaTurtle

Yep just logged off at 9015 certs waiting for the Infiltrator update :(
  14. jihon83

Who knows, maybe this was kicked off because the PS4's version just runs "too well". I can only imagine that Higby had to slink out of the room when the alpha build ran at a constant 60 FPS, even during one of those rare 3-way 300+ fights that will happen during alerts on Indar.
  15. Sen7rygun

The good news is that if they don't optimise it I'll still be getting 60+fps when I'm one of the last 30 people playing the game.
  16. Sagabyte

Hm...

I3 2120
    Gtx 560 ti 448
    8 Gb ddr3 ram

Runs on 1920x1080p at medium (shadows low) with a 30 fps average in big battles and 50ish when in the open. I run most of my games on max at 60fps, so I don't understand why I can't at least run this at 40 fps on high with some settings down.
  17. TeknoBug

I play more on my Intel system but I sometimes play on my AMD system and the difference is dramatic between the two, it's harder to get kills in a 1 on 1 fight on the AMD system compared to the Intel system while in a big fight.

One can only hope that the PS4 platform motivates SOE to fine tune Forgelight for both PS2 and EQN, Arenanet did a decent job of fixing that up with GW2, it ran like crap in the first couple months on my AMD system and WvWvW was pretty harsh but it's all good now on both systems that I can't really tell a difference.
  18. Luewen

Except. The demo ran on PC not ps4. I will be surprised if the game runs 60 fps on actual ps4.
  19. Some1

http://4.bp.************/-oET52dax8kk/ToE69RDEO6I/AAAAAAAAADk/tjiFta5LW0U/s320/grain-of-salt.jpg
  20. DukeFlash

The only reason I believe this tweet is the PS4 launch is coming up and that thing uses AMD cpu,
    which are woefully utilized as it stands...

I'm honestly not too worried because I already figured there'd be a lull or priority shift after Hossin & battle islands are released,
    which is soon.