[Suggestion] Glaive IPC should slow down, pause, or decrease Orbital Strike Uplink charge

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by HAXTIME, May 28, 2017.

1. HAXTIME

The Glaive IPC does not see much use now that there is a friggin' player designate-able Orbital Strike in the game, so I thought maybe we could give it a new function: an effective defensive counter-measure against Orbital Strike Uplink facilities.

Here's my line of thought:
    • Does your base deserve getting smeared with an Orbital Strike because you didn't pay attention to the map? Yes.
    • Could you have done something about it? Usually yes, at least for a while.
    • Did you deserve at least a chance to avoid or postpone your inevitable demise when you noticed it just a bit too late? Yes.
    This last point is where, IMO, the Glaive IPC could come into play:
    • It has a range just slightly greater than that of an Orbital Strike Uplink.
    • You notice that just in a few minutes you are in range of an Orbital Strike, because you missed looking on the map (e.g. because you were continuously harassed by Infiltrators).
    • You do your best to make it to the enemy Orbital Strike Uplink ASAP and start hammering it with the Glaive IPC.
    • While the Glaive IPC is firing, you have time to deploy countermeasures, such as an armor squad to take it out.
    Now the Glaive IPC can either pause, slow down, or downright reverse the Orbital Strike Uplink charge, depending on how well it performs for the task. I think the fine spot would be a full pause given a continuous Glaive IPC artillery sequence, and any mistakes from the defenders part (such as firing the dart at an exposed spot where it can be destroyed, or failing to keep the artillery squence up) will allow the Orbital Strike Uplink to continue charging.

This could potentially create tense base-to-base fights, with clear defender and attacker roles, with the defenders working against the clock.
  2. Pat22

I definitely think the Glaive could use some extra power versus Orbital Strike Uplinks, but maybe not a full pause. IIRC it's got a small series of buffs lined up already, such as disabling skywalls for extended periods of time so any additional changes versus OSUs should keep that in mind.

I don't think a single canon should be able to halt the charge completely. Maybe 1 canon halves the charge rate, 2 canons stops it, 3 canons reverses the charge at half rate?
    • Up x 1