Given the Lynx revamp, what exactly is the Cougar supposed to be FOR?

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by Nakar, Apr 8, 2014.

1. Nakar

I'm just curious. With the Lynx revamp, it seems pointless to introduce the Cougar at the same time in its current form. Ignore for a moment complaints or comparisons to weapons from other factions on a statistical or stylistic front (though they may have merit), just compare the two TR carbines to one another.

In comparison to the Cougar, the Lynx 2.0 has:
    • Better damage per second at every range, and markedly so as distance increases.
    • 10 less damage per magazine at max damage range and then better DPM at all other ranges (including much better minimum DPM).
    • Roughly similar reload efficiency.
    • More forgiving miss compensation due to higher volume of fire.
    • Superior Moving ADS COF and similar or superior hipfire COF, which are the most important COFs for a CQC carbine.
    • Superior or comparable handling.
    • Similar attachment options.
    As far as I can tell, the retooled Lynx outperforms or is functionally identical to the Cougar at the supposed role the Cougar exists to fill in basically every meaningful category. Given that I already own the Lynx, I can't see any reason why I would want to drop 1000 certs or 700 SC on a gun that is basically the same in function as a gun I already own. Normally that's not the case; the Bandit, for example, is very similar to the Mercenary, but it has some obvious pros and cons that have made me seriously consider purchasing it. Introducing the Bandit as it currently is provides an NC player to consider buying the weapon despite having the Mercenary already. Given that the Lynx I already own will become a weapon that effectively performs the same as or better than the new carbine that's coming out, I'm not sure why I should want to spend money on said carbine despite the fact that I'm extremely tempted to buy the Zenith and Bandit (and would be very tempted to buy the Lynx, if I didn't have a Lynx already).

So while I know this is probably a pipe dream, would it be possible for someone on the dev team to answer the following questions?
    • If a hypothetical player who owns neither the Lynx nor the Cougar were to examine these two carbines in the depot, each priced at 1000c/700sc, what argument would you make as to why that player ought to buy the Cougar instead of the Lynx if they wanted to spend 1000c/700sc on a close-quarters TR carbine? Assuming the two fit the same role and are priced the same, what pros and cons would weigh the player's choice in favor of purchasing the Cougar over the Lynx?
    • As someone who already owns the Lynx, why should I buy the Cougar when the patch hits? Why should I wish to own both at the same time? I can make this argument for the Serpent and V-X67, and for the Jaguar and the current Lynx, but I'm having trouble answering this question for the new Lynx and Cougar.
  2. WyrdHarper

3. Owen W.

And the MCG for that matter. Hope it's good this time, and not an attempt at grabbing SC from unsuspecting players.

Anyway, on topic: I won't be getting the Cougar. It's not a TR gun and I feel like an NC using it.

Long live the Lynx 2.0 I say. Getting it as soon as I hit 1000 certs.
    • Up x 2
  4. Klondor

I'm definitely going for the new lynx, and i kinda like the Cougar carbine, it's like my new T5 AMC but i just have to deal with more recoil and 10 less rounds per mag.
  5. Paperlamp

It's for shutting TR up about a 167 damage carbine.

Doubt they put much thought into it beyond that.
  6. asdfPanda

The Cougar's minimum damage at the time of this post is at 112, and it's minimum damage range is 60m. The new Lynx's minimum damage is 100, and it's minimum damage range is 50m. The Cougar has a slight edge at long range, while still being viable in close quarters.

However, everything on PTS is subject to change, so take this with a grain of salt.