Give VS a "Ray" weapon rather than charge up ?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Akeita, May 9, 2014.

1. Akeita

You know, purple ray that connect to the other soldier's body dealing DoT and using heat mechanics.... Of course we can tweak the damage and range later but I think this would be way cooler than aboring charge up bullets.

Or even make it like Voidray in starcraft, the longer the beam is, the more damage it can deal. This would be an excellent weapon against Tanks/MAXes if it is not suited for a primary weapon, it can be used as a "rocket launcher".

I will stab myself if this have splash thou
    • Up x 5
  2. Jogido

Cool idea.

Are you saying to have this instead of the Lancer and Vortex (was that right?)? I would lean toward creating news weapons with this mechanic instead of changing existing weapons....or have it as a fire option or attachment to allow players to choose it.
    • Up x 1
  3. Ravenorth

I heard that Lasher was like that on alpha build(beam/ray weapon), but the engine couldn´t handle it, so it was changed on its current form.

Of course I dont know if its true, though.
  4. Akeita

If only there's a video ._.
  5. IamDH

It had a small range and pretty much functioned like a regular gun. The beam was merely visual
    There is a vid, want me to get it?

(or was that sarcasm?)
  6. Some1

Beamy Deff Gun
  7. SpcFarlen

It was, when it was first tested back in beta it behaved similarly to the Particle Riffle in ME3, though it ran out of ammo as you held down the trigger. It was quickly named the tickle riffle since it very quickly gave away your position and only did a small amount of damage.
  8. JP_Russell

I don't think ray weapons are something that could feasibly be balanced very well in PS2. You'd have to drastically limit their range or their damage output or both. They're the kind of concept that ends up being either way too good or not good enough, with no real middle ground.

I think I'd prefer the Lancer/Vortex design, anyway.
  9. Ronin Oni

I'm not so sure the engine had a problem with it so much that it did like 5x more FF damage than it did to enemies.

It worked more like PS1 lasher where everyone within 1m of the beam took damage.... which generally meant all your friends, the single enemy you were aiming at, and maybe 1-2 other enemies if you were lucky.

It also had a max range of like 10-20ft... which could well have been an engine limitation..........
  10. Pikachu

Engine can't handle displaying a simple sprite or line of particles?
  11. TriumphantJelly

It is. Search PS2 GOOD THING I BROUGHT MY DUPSTEP GUN. someone overlayed dubstep easily because of the lashers abrupt start and end when it was a LaZeR.
  12. Iridar51

1. Change every VS weapon's bullet model to something similar to medic's heal beam.
    2. Don't do anything else.
  13. Ravenorth

Like I said, I was told so by two different people, on reddit to be precise, so dont really know anything else about it. I didnt play on alpha, started during the beta and Lasher was already changed on its current form back then.
  14. Exonis

Can we all just admit that Forgelight is a pretty ****** game engine already?
    My everything settings for PS2 are on super low + 60% Render quality & I only get 40-50 FPS.
    But when I play Firefall I get 60+ FPS and I can have much, much better graphics.
    • Up x 1
  15. Michel

For everyone who is interested :
    • Up x 3
  16. Koldorn

ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE
    ~Vanu, probably...
  17. Akeita

YES, PLEASE.
    I will use that thing even if it take 5 second to kill a guy.
  18. KnightCole

Well, judging by the mound of bugs we have now, im guessing no, it really couldnt lol.:D
  19. Booface

The engine could handle it because it wasn't a real beam weapon. It was basically a machine gun with a beam visual effect, creating the illusion of a constant stream. I could be wrong on this, but I think the damage would ramp up because the ROF would increase, kind of like how the TR MCG does now.

The problem is that there's a sort of soft ROF cap due to lag problems when you have too many projectiles at once in a game where people can, if they want, equip a weapon en masse. Without a high enough ROF, it was painfully obvious when you used it that it was just a machine gun with a different visual effect.
  20. FateJH

No, the engine didn't support a proper DoT mechanic (at least it didn't back then). Infantry weapons work because they only register each bullet "at least once" and the beam of a proto-Lasher, if it were used as the damage point "held" on a single target, would only be able to hit that target once. To simulate DoT, the Lasher fired lots of invisible bullets coincidental to the graphical beam that simulated the DoT. However, with the range was severely limited to support the RoF needed to simulate DoT (at least that's my theory why the Lasher was only as long as a lightsaber), and the fact that its was possible to sweep the Lasher across a room and have invisible bullets miss the targets that get swept through, it was a pretty dismal weapon.

What is even stranger is that the PS2 proto-Lasher was a complete change from the PS1 Lasher, which is what the final form of the PS2 Lasher X2 is now almost completely like.