[Suggestion] Give LA the old SA weapons

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by Dimachaerus, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Dimachaerus

TR = Thumper
    NC = Rocklet Rifle
    VS = Irradiator

Cert tree for unlocking different types of ammo.
    Plasma/Frag/Emp for the Thumper
    HEAT, FRAG, Airburst for Rocklets
    Dunno what exactly to give the Irradiator.

Fire mode selection:
    Thumper- Impact or delayed detonation
    Rocklet- dumbfire or "range" detonation like the old scorpion launcher
    Irradiator- sticky impact detonation or delayed bounce.

They'd replace your main weapon, would have low-ish ammo totals requiring fairly frequent resupply, would be not so good at cqc since you'd harm yourself. Would be GREAT for flanking and breaking up large enemy groups though, you know, the thing that LA's are supposed to be all about.

Damage wise, the grenades/rockets would be much less powerful than the UBGL variety, but would have better range/accuracy and more staying power (smaller rounds = more rounds you can carry) they'd also make picking LA actually worthwhile over the usual HA/Medic swarm, and would actually act to counter said swarms.
    • Up x 1
  2. Iridar51

Could you please explain what actually those weapons are and what they do? Not everyone played PS1, you know.
  3. Dimachaerus

Thumper was the PS1 equivalent of the M-32( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milkor_MGL ) multiple grenade launcher. Basically, a rotary cylinder weapon that shoots 40mm grenades. The thumper shot much smaller grenades though, but otherwise functioned like most normal game's grenade launchers. One mode the grenades exploded on impact, the other they'd delay for like 3-4 seconds so you could bounce them. Thumpers with plasma grenades were some of the worst grief machines ever.

The rocklet rifle was basically an oversized revolver that fired several kinds of dumbfire rockets. Had a sort of AP rocket useful for plinking vehicles/maxes, and one that was a frag rocket that would hurt infantry more (also acted as proximity flak against aircraft) primary mode fired one rocket at a time, secondary would mag-dump all six in very very rapid order. Load up frag rockets and spray all six into the bottom of some aircav for lulz.

The irradiator was your standard grenade launcher of alien design but instead of shooting exlody bombs, it fired little orbs that would emit a "field" of energy that would harm anyone who entered it (or was in it when it went off). They would stick around for a good while and while not particularly deadly singly, could be downright rude if you walked into several fields.

Plasma grenades were basically incendiary grenades. They go off, and anyone hit by them takes a small bit of damage and is set on fire for a while.

The Scorpion was a rocket launcher that was designed to hit targets hiding behind cover. You'd aim it at a point just in front of/on the target rock/wall/tree/whatever, lock that range into the missile, aim over the obstacle and fire. When the missile reached that range, it would explode and shower anyone beneath it with a spray of little bomblets. It wasn't super effective, but the idea was sound.
    • Up x 1
  4. KnightCole

We need a scorpion attachment for ar and carbines.

I loved those types of weapons in 2142, pk74 ar rocket.

Fun fun..annoying on the recieving end but fun fun
    • Up x 1
  5. Iridar51

Sounds very cool
  6. Sandpants

This would indeed fit the LA role.

But SOE and their mindset on making it a "1v1, assassin type class with ammo scavenging".
  7. Iridar51

To be fair, this was their mindset. We haven't heard anything about this topic for a long time. Hopefully, they will reform their ways by the time there'll be our turn for a revamp.
  8. Sandpants

Still, LA is unscheduled for an update. For quite a while now.

Maybe if this thread got more posts and we could just stick it up in their faces.
  9. Iridar51

They clearly stated their closest plans don't involve LA revamp - they want to do Hossin, ESF and infiltrator updates first, before or after promised optimization efforts.

You said it yourself - LA is long since unscheduled, and there have been a lot of threads with a lot of good posts with ideas, demands, begging or angry panting, all in vain. If a thread with a bunch of posts could attract their attention, it would've done it by now. I doubt they even visit this part of the forum.
    We will get our update, eventually, but I doubt we can do anything about it.

And from the perspective of simple math - infiltrator forums have twice as many posts as LA section, so I'd bet SOE will rather deal with 100 angry LA posters than 200 Infiltrator ones.
  10. Corezer

I couldn't see splitting the weapons up factionally being balanced. That being said, the thumper and irradiator were trolltastic

I could see the rocklet though, especially if you could change from rocklet to flacklet with the select fire button. oh and btw the flacklet did diddly dick to infantry, only good for air and even then not so much as the turbo equipped helicopters of PS1 would turn around and kill you faster than you could get off 12 shots. secondary mode decimators were better, or lancers or AP MCGs

kinda reminds me of my idea to give AP ammo UBGLs as a tool slot, with the S-variant carbines being able to cert the current ammo type for rail attachment.
  11. Kyouki

I'm all for it. The tears of terrorists will cry after my thumper has wiped out their entire squad.