Give Infs the ability to temporarily disable or bypass shields.

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Stncold, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Stncold

That's it. Do this and they instantly become relevant and useful in one fell swoop and it would also help alleviate the problem of how stupidly easy it is to defend Tech Plants and Bio Labs right now. Those two are more ridiculous than Interlink Facilities ever were, especially Tech Plants.

Give it a long cooldown or make it a cert that replaces the cloak for all I care.

They just need SOMETHING to do other than snipe, and IMO this would be perfect and would kill two gigantic birds with one stone.
    • Up x 1
  2. Celair

Disable? Nah. Walk right through? Sure thing.

I don't much like the idea of removing an Infil's ability to cloak, but this would need an appropriate downside. Perhaps it could function like Stalker camo in that you trade your primary in for a new effect, except instead of a pseudo-permacloak and the ability to shoot from stealth, you get to pass through shields like a Sundy with a Gate Shield Diffuser. Something like messing with recharge delay/timers where after passing through a shield, your cloak rapidly depletes and takes an extra second or so to begin recharging. Maybe even have the ability require 100% charge to use and/or have it use up a certain percentage of your cloak/shield's power. (Just tossing ideas out)

I did see someone suggest giving Infiltrators the ability to do this where their proposed downside was that walking through the shield caused a ripple in the shield itself and also silhouetted the Infil for a brief period of time.

In any case, it would do wonders for giving Infils more tools to infiltrate should they decide to drop the certs into it. Granted, we may not see anything like this at least until Stalker Camo is reintroduced.
  3. DeltaGun

That's a cool idea, but it kind of negates the point of shields if everyone could just switch classes to get through. Although Anti-Shield Sunderers exist and they havn't broken the game yet.
  4. Balindrum

Hmm... I'm not sure on this one. I definitely agree that Infiltrators need more infiltration ability, but I don't think this is it. Every base bar the Biolabs has an alternative way in to the bottom floor of the central location, and as an Inf you should be able to sneak in, at least if you do so before the main assault begins. Plus, let's be honest here, if you go wandering through base shields as an infiltrator during a large assault, you'll be torn to shreds. If there isn't a large assault going on, you have the tools to sneak in via other means. GSD Sunderers exist for simply wading in through the front door.

Furthermore, I think it is in preparing a base for an assault that Inf's hold their most value as Inf's. A base that isn't under attack garners little attention from those holding it. Sneak in, hack a few terminals, switch to engineer and throw down prox mines and C4 if you want to, but above all: sneak into the main compound, spawn an S-AMS Sunderer inside those impenetrable base shields and deploy it. Now initiate the assault on the base.
  5. Timeraider

give EMP grenade the power to disable shields for a very small time.. would make them usefull.
  6. Celair

It might seem that way, but as you said we have Shield Buster Sunderers. You load one (or several) up with at least one infiltrator, they hack a vehicle term, someone spawns an AMS, base may or may not be taken over depending on the resistance/counterattack. They're powerful enough to turn a several hour stalemate into a victory, but they do require a lot of coordination.

The same could happen with a squad of infils running in, hacking terms, and swapping classes/spawning AMS Sunderers. All you do here is cut the Diffuser Sundy out and dramatically reduce your combat effectiveness until everyone's swapped classes. This kind of approach would only be useful during the initial assault of a facility though. Once you've got dozens of people defending, there are eyes all over the shields, and there's going to be vehicles in the courtyard. No number of infiltrators can currently compete with vehicles, so good luck with that. That would be the time to load up the Sunderers with a mix of classes and drive right on by those tanks. After saying this though, it would seem that allowing Sunderers AND Infils to pass through shields would probably defeat the purpose of shields.

In retrospect, it might not be such a great idea to let Infils do this.
  7. Marinealver

How about a shiled mitigate cloak. That way infiltraitors can infiltraite. Wont be as good or last as long as standard but heck you be able to sneak in a base.
  8. Zinus

Wanted to say exactly this.