Give infantry 3rd person view ?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Akeita, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Akeita

I bought helmets, camos, armors, potatos, bananas.... But I can't see them... I want to look at y character while running to the next base..

Soooo, why can't Infantry get access to 3rd person view ?
  2. TheBlindFreak

And I'd like to see around corners so I can sit there an ambush people with my shotgun.

Aside from the time and work it would take to implement, this ^ is probably the reason why they haven't brought it back from PS1.
    • Up x 14
  3. Ribero

Probably be easier to put mirrors next to Infantry terminals, so you can make sure your hair is pretty before going out for a night on The Crown.
    • Up x 17
  4. LCTR

I'd be against 3rd-person view for general infantry for exactly the reason Mr Freak gives above.

(and the reason I'd not want 3rd-person in H1Z1 too, tbh)

Though I'd agree there is a disconnect between the player and many of the cosmetic items they buy, helmets especially.

Wonder if there is a way to do a screen shot option (and I'm really trying not to use the word 'selfie' here) where you can see yourself in-game and record the fight you're in, etc.
    • Up x 2
  5. STEALTHKILL

Hell No To 3rd Person!
    • Up x 4
  6. Beeman

I'm not really in favor of having a third person camera. Although, if they ever did wind up implementing it(even just for testing purposes), they could always do the MWO thing: have a little probe floating behind the player when they switch to third person. The probe would obviously attach itself back to the player when they're in first-person.
  7. \m/SLAYER\m/

at VR at least
    • Up x 2
  8. kadney

On the landing pad. In the moonlight. Like a prom queen. :rolleyes:
    • Up x 3
  9. -Synapse-

Some way to look around independently from your weapon would be better. That way you could look not only look down and see your armor, you could also shoot glances over your shoulder while retreating, check a corner without turning, or maintain situational awareness while covering a point. Of course you wouldn't be able to see your head, but it's better than the uncanny floating forearms we have now, and wouldn't unbalance anything too badly.
    • Up x 1
  10. Luke15g

This video sums up the issue with 3rd person quite well, I recommend watching it.

• Up x 6
  11. NinjaTurtle

FPS = FIRST person shooter
    • Up x 8
  12. Daikar

Wouldn't take any time at all since the engine already has support for it.
  13. Krayus_Korianis

PS2 isn't a TPS! It's an FPS!
    • Up x 2
  14. Konstantinn

3rd person view worked just fine in PS1. Lack of 3rd person creates a disconnect between player and the ridiculous amount of cosmetic items in game. Also hinders those that try to make videos.

Peeking around corners is a bad argument against 3rd person. If you can peek, so can they. It is also offset by your inability to aim accurately (or at all). So you peek around corner in 3rd person, but in order to shoot you have to go back to 1st person view. At least that's what it was in PS1, same as it is for vehicles in PS2. Safe to conclude it would be the same way for infantry in PS2.

There really is no logical (or technological) reason not to have 3rd person view in this game. You can deny it all you want, but if they put in 3rd person view in game tomorrow you won't be quitting because of it.
  15. Krayus_Korianis

I'd be harnessing the whines of a million people's tears... I would enjoy the taste it would bring and the power of their cries.
    • Up x 1
  16. Eaderout

I would like all 3rd person removed.
    • Up x 1
  17. Pikachu

Seeing-more-stuff problem can easily be fixed by simply not rendering players that are outside the would-be-camera's field of view. Like an invisible pyramid in front of the the player model outside which enemies can't be seen.
    • Up x 1
  18. pnkdth

That's a complete strawman. People do not want 3rd person because of the ability to peek around corners. That. is. it.

So there is definitely a logical reason for not wanting it, because if I want to keep the game as a first person shooter it is logical that I would not want it to be a third person shooter. Just because I can do something to counter another behaviour does not mean there is no reason for me to object to that particular feature/weapon/ability to be added to the game since it conflict with a game mechanic I much prefer over, in this case, 3rd person and being able to peek around corners.

It really is that simple, people who enjoy first person shooters does not like out of body experiences added to the game.
    • Up x 3
  19. phreec

[IMG]

If you've ever played DayZ or ArmA on 3PP:On servers you would know how much it gets used to peak around corners and walls without ever exposing yourself. This game is already Defendfarm 2.

[IMG]
    • Up x 9
  20. IamDH

[IMG]
    • Up x 7