[Suggestion] Give Engineers More things to construct.

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by Eagle6, Jul 21, 2013.

1. ncDieseL

Lots of ideas here. Some good, some bad. Mine is simple.

The actual construction of items should be a task in itself, not just a select and click. In my head I imagine something like putting down a kit and then using the nano armor tool on that kit to "build" the item. Completing the build should reward XP.

Also, I would like to be able to see engineers build a weapons terminal. ALSO, for balance, infiltrators should be able to hack items built by engineers.
  2. Magikarpin

I reckon it should be kept simple, engies should be able to construct temporary MANA barriers and barricades. Make it use the same deploy-able functionality as MANA turrets, limit it to one per engie so as to avoid spam and make it disappear after a certain time, and be able to be destroyed. I think this would add another tactical element to the game
  3. Grizzly886

Yes i miss the turret that fires unmanned
  4. DrBash00

I also would love some more creative Gaming. Maby lets start with giving the engie the Option to build OTHER Turrets, like switching AA turrets to AV turrets (on towers).....
  5. Kevin49704

Personally I don't think engineers need an AA turret, there is already a lot of other AA options. I do wish engineers could create actual mine fields. I want to be able to provide area denial with my mines rather than picking up a single kill. Also I would love a small barricade and am surprised we don't have one yet. The idea of engineers building larger defensive structures like bunkers, tank traps, and defensive towers is nice but would require a radical map redesign to make more space between bases and more open space in general. Which I think the game needs anyways because the bases are too close anyways. As far as anything to do with vehicles though (repairs, ammo, terminal, etc) I believe should stay out of the engineers hands, would rather see those roles filled by support vehicles.
  6. Pantong

I would say, make some of the armor the devs strapped onto bases build able, and destructible ( **** ton of HP). Like windows have an engi use is magic gun to fill u the window a bit to a small slit, or something of that nature...
  7. DrBash00

Well, yes a little bit of "minecraft" would be fun in planetside 2, but i think the engine wouldn´t carry this ^^.

But still, i give this threat a little push, because giving the engie more options to at least make bases in some ways more "costum" is really important. (so even a experienced player, can not know exactly where the AA turret waits for him)
  8. VonStalin

Big shield where 2 vanguards could hide behind would be nice (certible size). They should function as spawn room shields.
    AA turret good idea, but air is not in good situation already...
  9. TripleVasectomy

How about the Papa Vanu Support Laser Leash? Keeps ADHD Maxes from charging away from you while spamming the repairs voice command and cursing in proxy chat about how bad teamwork has gotten. I would probably get more utility out of this than the MANA turrets.

[IMG]
    • Up x 2
  10. Kulso

Aren't we being a little selfish here guys? I mean when I hop onto my Medic or LA they seem to have smaller toolkits than we do. I'm not saying I wouldn't like new toys, but those poor guys have to play witht the same old stuff.
  11. DrBash00

I am not saying the engie should build AA turrets by itself, he should just be able to switch a stational AV turret to a AA or AI turret.
  12. AngersRevenge

The class has the most utility in the game. Need a sensor dart? Grab the cross bow with infinite ammo. Need a something blown up? They can use every type of explosive and carry more of them than any other class (utility pouch). Need something dead? they have guns. Need a hacked object unhacked? Blow it up and repair it. Need to be OP for a bit? Grab a vehicle. Need to set up a blockade at a choke point? Drop some turrets.

They have the most things to do in the game and you want more? This does not make sense to me.
  13. warmachine1

I would rather fix current deployables, so they can be placed on slope & closer to other objects.
    Scalable tripods would be also a nice addition.
  14. Atuday

I only want 2 things for engi. 1: For people who play engi to never say it is OP. 2: the ability to deploy turrets on slopes and in crouch position so as to make better use of the terrain.
  15. PloMerged

would be cool to have static items, like base turrets are.
    the owner should be the faction that repaired it after destruction, not the faction controlling the region.
    there could be a radar tower, a small landing pad, a vehicle blocking shield (powered by an external generator), maybe even buildings that can be destroyed, like pillboxes
  16. Rich9115

i think SAM turrets would be really nice but how would it be balanced?
  17. Nano(zip/zap)

I mostly play engi and have to echo a number of the points already made. First turrets should be more versatile with the B key it should switch between AI and an AV/AA lock on modes and the slope problem needs to be fixed. I think just shrinking footprint that has to be on level ground would be simplest. Also I'd love it if I could set up a turret and while I'm busy repairing a MAX or tank a LA or someone other than another engi could make use of the turret instead of it just sitting there like a rock.

The engi's also really should be split into build type or demo type sub-classes demolitions or demo type get more explosives but can't build anything while build types can build things but carry far less explosives.

Some of the things you should be able to build are as follows.

Ammo Dispensers: like normal ammo boxes with the added effect of being able to replenish C4 and nades as well as supplying vehicles has a usage limit (like an ammo count) can only replenish C4 and nades so many times then deconstructs and an engi has to use tool to set it up again. Higher certing equals more uses (ammo count) and a longer range for the standard ammo replenishment.

Forward Bunker: think of a spawn room crossed with a tower but is not a spawn location, it has shielded windows that can be shot out of and either an AV or AA turret on top that a person can use and the turret and bunker have separate HP's so the turret could be blown up while the bunker isn't blown up and higher certing means more HP.

Recon Tower: acts as a combination of a recon dart and EMP grenade in it's immediate area and boosts the range and duration of all recon darts in a radius around the tower. Higher certing increases all effects.

Lifting/Landing Pads: The gold and blue colored energy things that act as elevators would be really useful on bases with steep walls or cliffs or a pad that launches people into the air and towards a specific direction for jumping across canyons and the like.

Barricades and Breaching: It would be nice if on rooms or buildings you could lock down doorways restricting the ways in and out of a point. With that it'd be nice if you could blow open locked doorways making extra or new points of entry near an objective. Equally a tank trap or something else of that nature would be nice. This I think would be one of the few things that once you cert once can't be upgraded that way 1 breaching charge is always equal to 1 barricade.

Deploy-able Cover: would be nice but in another thread I already gave my ideas on that, and don't want to repeat it here. Link

Auto turrets sound nice but the only way I can see them working is for AA or AV with limited ammo and a hefty reload time between shots or limited firing angle or ranges. As others have mentioned AI turrets would lead to too many friendly fire incidents causing your weapons to lock. Also by having the auto system tied into the lock-on function it would be effective with out having computer powered advantages over what a player could do. Such as pin-point accuracy with dumb fire rockets that a NPC turret would be able to do but a player couldn't.

The last thing that I would put in here would be special walls in buildings that can have openings made by explosives and that the walls be repairable. That way you could just blow a hole in the wall to A point and swarm in there, or take out some of the maze like turns people have to make to get from one room to another. However the destructible environment is very limited in this game so I don't expect to ever see anything like that.
  18. Griffstar

I think tank traps would be pretty sweet
    • Up x 1
  19. Targanwolf

I would love to have a long range mortar....with either anti personnel or armor piercing.
    • Up x 1
  20. Roland2TowerCame

I think it would need a while to set up for balance.

It might give people something to do during a tank battle other than fire rockets. (I know people do other stuff, but all those people hating on vehicles would love it because they would have a great opportunity for tactical infantry combat.)