Ghostwar: How late-night PS2 is played on Esamir and Amerish

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Eugenitor, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Eugenitor

First things first: If you care about KDR or certs per hour, Ghostwar is not the game for you. This is why very few people play it. If you want to watch your numbers go up, stay on Indfarm. Ghostwar is about continents, not BR progress.

As the title suggests, Ghostwar is a battle between a handful of ghost cappers, often about a dozen on each side. The goal of Ghostwar is to take the entire continent by any means necessary, or prevent it from being taken from you. A lot of the time, this means flipping the points on all adjacent territory and running to the next base, not even being there for the cap XP. It often means re-flipping, and re-re-flipping. However, when these ghosts meet- and they very often do- it becomes a fast and frenetic battle to see who walks away with an intact vehicle (usually an ESF). Ambushes, mines, misdirection, strategy, and good old-fashioned paranoia characterize Ghostwar. When you start running between generators in Kwahtee Amp Station, trying to get to the cap point at the same time your West Foothills Airdock cap finishes, and you know you (personally, or a squadmate) need to react the moment anything comes up "Enemies Detected", that's when you know you're playing Ghostwar. Ghostwar also occasionally happens to a limited extent on Indar, when practically everyone else has joined a huge zerg somewhere far from you and your enemy ghosts.

The current system is all that makes this any fun at all. If any of the worse ideas were implemented- lattice, that MOBA-esque proposed lane system, that incredibly dull "you must have X people on the point" nonsense- it'd be unplayable.
    • Up x 1
  2. PEETREE

i just think the game of ghostcapping would change with the lattice system. You would see more full suppressed weapon units trying to surprise the enemy in positions where they are thin.

I think having air moving from hex to hex at night is super boring. At least with the lattice system, you'd have to try to figure out where the ghost cap crew on the other side was moving so you could counter it. You could argue that the hex system also allows this, but there are just way too many options in the hex system that makes the two ghost crews hardly ever meet.
  3. Draf

The "Ghostwar" become borring at some point you know ?
    • Up x 1
  4. Shasbot

Not nearly as exactly as this song makes it out to be.
    • Up x 1
  5. Dusty Lens

It's almost as exciting as ghost lounge. The game where you run around the spawn on an empty continent, spamming local with proximity voice spewing some insanely annoying scream noise and trying to flip non existent Liberators.

Then you wait on a landing pad to put C4 on a friendly bird coming in for ammo so you can detonate it.

Waiting alone.

Alone forever.
  6. Eugenitor

But with lattice, you would know where they're going next. There are far fewer options. That's the point of lattice.

"Ghost crew" is wrong. Experienced ghosters, whether squads or individuals, who are serious about Ghostwar don't usually move together- it's not efficient unless they're trying to protect/take one particular place at the expense of others. You don't have three squads hanging around in one place each, you have three squads looking at the map and trying to grab any points they can. With the adjacency system, there are usually only a handful of places the enemy can be going. You will get into constant 1v1 skirmishes if you know how to play.
  7. Ravenorth

No one ghost caps anything on my watch, I hunt down ghosts all the time and beleave or not I actually enjoy it.

8. Cinc

This is the aftermath of ghostcapper vegeta and nappa meeting

9. Sifer2

Wait so you enjoy Ghostwar? Is that why your against the new system? Cause that's a really bad reason man. I played a little Ghostwar myself, and it got old pretty fast. Was cute setting up an ambush to blow up the enemy ghosts ESF a couple of times but if the new system removes this silliness i'm all for it. Of course the new system isn't really going to remove it. That wont happen until continent locks are in, and the number of frontlines is down to only two or three at a time.
  10. Eugenitor

Ghostwar is a game for adults. I never get bored playing it, because there's always something to do. It's actually pretty fast and frantic. I need to be in several places at once.

And this linear BS isn't "the new system"- it's a proposed idea that's not even on the roadmap. If they really do make it so that there's only two or three places to fight, I'm uninstalling and going to find another game. Zerging is boring and getting zerged is frustrating, and there won't be anything else.
  11. Duff_Chimp

Ghostwar, wow you make this **** sound far more exciting than it is. Capping even going base to base ghost capping is about as dull as this game gets. Thwarted so many ghost cappers by tracking them down or just laying in wait for them to retake a point. Makes for an interesting side diversion whilst flying to and from battles.

Too bad when they change the system it should eliminate it. Guess you battle scared weirdos will have to start fighting now?
    • Up x 1