Gettin' Moody - Sniping

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by ThePackage, Jan 8, 2014.

1. ThePackage

My thoughts on sniping in PS2 and why it just isn't fun.
  2. Jester7x

Render distancing is what usually keeps me from sniping. I run into more infil's with smgs now.
  3. Donaldson Jones

I do a good amount of long range sniping I do it because my close up situational awareness is not very good. I tend to make all my engagements even as a heavy at longer ranges because most folks are more accurate than I am.

You should check out this thread https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/long-range-sniping.157527/
    it's pretty comprehensive about long range sniping vs quickscoping, although the performance patch did change things somewhat.

Also I usually nest up for long range work and use my personal waypoint to gauge distance while I'm on the move under 300m you are golden for headshots, I usually miss the first 2 or 3 headshots because i have to adjust aim a bit depending high or low.

The biggest advantage for LR sniper in this game is herding the enemy or making them paranoid. Usually only takes one or two shots to get the enemy jittery, most use a repetitive pattern that can be accounted for.
    • Up x 1
  4. Stinneyt

Can you imagine the tsunami of HAAATTTEEE that would ensue if infiltrators could instajib in CQC?

Re: effectiveness. Every enemy you send to the cloner is effective.
  5. IIXianderII

I agree that the animations could use a little work, and hopefully they will add a graphics option slider for animation quality so that those who can handle it can have smoother animations.

Your point about being ineffective as a sniper is kind of a cliche though. We don't need OHK body shots to have a chance at being effective because CQC is not where we are supposed to be optimally effective. I have a higher KPM on my sniper rifle than a lot of people have on their regular guns, so saying we don't have good killing potential is not true. Sure, some of that KPM comes from farming people standing still, but I still feel that sniper rifles have the greatest potential for taking out priority targets, so if you can get free kills in-between those high value targets why not? Other classes push and are forced to kill whoever is in-front of them, and sure when I am pushing a zone I do the same, but snipers have the ability to back off a bit and choose who they want to kill. This ability is sometimes not that useful, and sometimes invaluable to teams (just like everything else in the game, its situational).
    • Up x 1
  6. ISKNausicaa

The animations could be a bit smoother but it's workable and a damn sight better than when the update first came out.

Going by your stats and what you have stated in your vid you just need more practice with a single sniper rifle ( pick one rifle and one scope and stick with it), they aren't really weapons that you can pick up and start popping moving heads with.

Close range basr rifles are more niche less run and gun, while not as powerful as smgs at close range they do offer more options ( better range, being able to eliminate a target before they can react etc) the only issue I have currently with them is the ****** ghost iron sight bead/reflex dot that obscures a targets head after a certain range, apart from that they are in a pretty good place after the removal of scope sway.

They have a far higher skill ceiling than smgs, if made so they killed no matter where they hit then there are individuals that would become absolute wreaking balls with them.
  7. Tenebrae Aeterna

The majority of my dedicated, long ranged, sniping experience comes from Delta Force: Land Warrior where you had the Barret 50.cal sniper rifle. This particular rifle could kill at ranges clear up to 1000m+ even if it hit your toe and penetrate solid walls. Coupled with the fact that you could take the sniper class to effectively remove scope sway, go prone to reduce your hit-box to a pixel, and have a scope with a built in range finder/compensator and scope magnification settings........sniping was downright bestial in this game. I can't recall what the other rifles were capable of, but I believe even the close range PSG-1 (Silenced close ranged sniper rifle) was a OHK to the body...but I might be mistaken since it was semi-auto.

With all that said...

Imagine players like Mustarde, Druid, and the other great aggressive snipers we have now using a rifle that kills in a single shot to the body...there is absolutely no way this can be balanced. With this capability, even I would end up becoming a beast at close range sniping...especially now that they have better defined closer ranged sniper rifles by removing the scope sway with low optics. The amount of screaming you would hear from the run and gun oriented community would dwarf what we had for the ZOE MAX. It would literally give justification to those whom believe in the so called Siperacolypse that was feared to transpire when Nanoweave was removed, the range cap not implemented, and the scope sway taken off low optics on close ranged sniper rifles.

We do need the animations fixed, we also need that nasty scoping in sensitivity issue fixed, but for the aggressive Snipers amongst us...one-hit-kill body shots are not needed and would bring them to a whole new level of murderous rampages. There's plenty of videos dropped onto the forums by these snipers showing that you can do very well with close ranged sniping if you practice and have the reflexes to do it. Long ranged sniping and aggressive sniping are two different beasts, the latter of which being a hybridization between long ranged sniping and your run and gun oriented mechanics...

You shouldn't presume, if you do, that a good long ranged sniper can automatically be efficient at aggressive closer ranged sniping. Long ranged snipers are more for high priority targets, your aggressive snipers tend to lean into the harassment area...causing chaos and panic by just killing everyone in sight.
  8. Zagareth

PS2 has 2 major sniper groups (beside the other infiltrator playstyles). Those who snipe mainly in short to medium distance 50-200m, and those who snipe almost always at 200+m. I belong to the 2nd group.

To be really effective in the 2nd group, you have to avoid every direct enemy contact, you always have to get to a spot where no enemy is close. But then you always have the time to choose the right and most dangerous targets (other snipers, AV turret engies and so on...)

This playstyle is not suited for everyone, it's nothing where you charge in, engage and try to get as most kills as possible before you certainly die and respawn... and repeat...
    This playstyle is more for those who like the assassination aspect of the infiltrator play. You gotta be away of your environment, gotta listen where shots coming from, what shots, gotta get a real feeling from the battlefield around you and then take out the targets which are a keyrole against your own faction.

Personally I don't have the score per hour that many people have, but mainly because I make a lot of observation between my "shooting engagements" - but it's fun, because most of the time, the enemy has no ******* clue where I am. I see so many snipers in that game, making a lot mistakes :
    • "spotting targets" close to other enemies (thats like wearing a huge flag "hey you dumb noobs, I'm here!")
    • shooting series of shots in a row with a bolt action rifle (do you really think no one notices the bullet tracers?)
    Well I could at least count more than 10 other mistakes and I use them all to my advantage (I admit sometimes I make them as well :D) to spot these snipers and nail their heads down. However, the tricky playstyle of a successful long range sniper is not for everyone and not rewarding all the time, but it's fun if you like to play beside the usual zerg runs.
  9. Tenebrae Aeterna

Indeed...

Originally, I never understood why anyone would continue to frantic fire with a bolt-action sniper rifle to try and take down an enemy, it's obvious you're exposing your position. Then, after playing Planetside 2 for a while, I've come to find that my computer doesn't really handle the game well...so I do it RARELY out of sheer frustration from missing shots due to lag.

Just kind of a "DIE DIE DIE FOR THE LOVE OF WHATEVER YOU DEEM HOLY DIEEEEEEEEE" moment.

Granted, I get connection drops that freeze the game and pretty extreme lag spikes due to playing on a stock Dell laptop, if I had a better computer I wouldn't ever suffer from such frustration, haha.
  10. Shadowhunter1

i
    couldn't watch this video any more after the fact that you said you want OHK riles. then that will make EVERYONE come out of the wood works to play infiltrator, and no one will play anything but max and infiltrator. why waste time on weapons that need bullets to kill to the body, when you can go infiltrator, and hit them in the foot and kill them in 1 shot. I LOVE THE OHK-HS ONLY. shows the difference between TRUE marksmen, and the rookie, newbie, scum bags that are crying about not being able to kill, or have to spam fire. making it easier for people to find and kill the newbie scum infiltrators. while the true marksmen are somewhere in the distance with there .50 RAMS / Longshot / Paralax with their silencer taking their time to kill that medic that stopped for the split sec to resurrect. catching the rookie sniper uncloaked and sitting still. getting the heavy between the eyes the second his shield goes down, or the best, when the engineer jumps out of his smoking vehicle and hides thinking he is safe and he catches 1 between the eye. the whole time the enemy has NO IDEA where the marksmen is because it is a headshot kill, and a silencer.

I have had a platoons hunt me down because they could not get a lock on me, and started using people as bait to find my location. I always give a maniacal laugh in proxy chat if i am found and killed. ONLY on the fact that it takes SO LONG for them to find me, IF they find me, IF i don't redeploy to a better location or just a new 1, or i saw the platoon coming for me and i just want to make them open targets.

THE ONLY THIS SOE NEEDS TO DO FOR TRUE MARKSMEN IS:

increase render distance, increase bullet drop for that increased render distance, and remove bullet trail from suppressors, and decrease the hit box just for the head. i find it to easy to head shot people.

otherwise OHK rifles are OP whether they are bolt action, semi-auto, or full auto, and if introduced they will ruin the game. OHK-HS Riles are A-OK.
  11. Tenebrae Aeterna

I think the OP is just a bit shocked, and overwhelmingly frustrated, by the transition between long ranged sniping and aggressive close ranged sniping. Essentially, it seems that he believes the two are similar enough that it should be logical for a long ranged sniper to quickly adjust to this particular facet of sniping...which simply isn't true. Aggressive sniping is fundamentally different because it's a hybridization of run and gun oriented gameplay and sniping in general...which brings a lot of new aspects into the playing style that a long ranged sniper just isn't ready for unless they have those superior twitch based reflexes and practice needed to quickly nail the headshots...like Druid, Mustarde, and the rest of them. He says in the end of the video that he knows one-hit-kill body shots won't be incorporated...but implies that he sees no justifiable reason why.

To the OP, think of aggressive sniping as a completely different playing style to long ranged sniping...because it is, for some of the reasons that you addressed in the video. Take a look at some of Mustarde's videos and focus heavily upon the aggressive sniping community we have in general. It's more or less gearing yourself to quick response times to execute those shots quickly, and if you don't have that capability...long ranged sniping is probably where you're going to want to stay, or pick up the SMG like I do.

The way I see it, you'll have to practice a LOT to get where they are with aggressive sniping...but once you do, it's sort of like second nature. This is probably why Mustarde has such difficulty adjusting to the new scope sensitivity bug/stealth feature...it became second nature to him, so now that it's been changed...it's very difficult to adjust.
  12. Shadowhunter1

when you miss quote me or only use one word, you make yourself look foolish. use a complete sentence, or at least a frame of reference.
  13. Tenebrae Aeterna

When someone - snips - an entire quote, it generally means that they didn't want to clutter up the thread with walls of text. This is general forum practice in situations where both parties are writing a wall of text and the following comment doesn't need point by point quotation. I was taking your general response and replying to it with a comment that doesn't follow the same presentation of your post...but agrees with the majority of your points and seeks to potentially theorize on the reasoning behind the OP's opinion...which neither of us agree with.

If I was disagreeing with your claims, that's when I would use point by point quotation.

Though, it would have been more prudent for me to type: @ The Package rather than "To the OP," because that segment forth was directed towards the OP himself and I can see how you may have potentially mistook that as being directed towards you.