[Suggestion] Get rid of this new base caping system

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Wulfen109, Apr 19, 2013.

1. Wulfen109

If i have a larger force that wipes away a base, i should be able to capture the base faster than that one guy capturing the base by himself. Bring back influence and objective numbers. Why cater to the people that play by themselves on a TEAM based game?
    • Up x 2
  2. Oakwalker

HAHAHHAAH oh right your serious, let me laugh harder.

1 guy vs 0, gains base faster than 1000 guys vs 1000 guys. That one guy is unopposed.
    • Up x 1
  3. Slyguy65

Don't worry about it it will be nothing but 1k vs 1k anyway when the new funnel system comes into play, the fixed base capture is just there to keep it all consistent, don't want people seeming different now, do we?
    • Up x 1
  4. Holomang

5. Wulfen109

1. Youre a jag off for even comenting like that
    2. Im referring to when we push enemies out of a base, and their SCU is destroyed with no one left
    • Up x 1
  6. Phazaar

The point is that 1 guy vs 1 guy gains a base at the same speed as 1000 guys vs 0 guys. Strawman much?

I'm going to go and put up a post with a potential fix for this, because it's too good to waste, and would add some actual requisite strategy and organisation. Hold that thought, girls.
    • Up x 1
  7. Jac70

I have to say I am not looking forward to this new lattice system. Seems to me all it will do is limit options and force people to fight in the same places. I think the current system is better in that you can go where you like so long as you have adjacency.

We have a massive open map so why do the devs want to turn it into a corridor shooter?
    • Up x 1
  8. SgtScum

Before this change as long as I was willing to lose out on the xp gains for being on base when it fully caps I can just roll around in a flash flipping points then head to the next base and have it counting down before the first base is done.

Did that quite a few times on esamir and amerish just to see how quickly I could take territory solo.

This new mechanic changes nothing about ghost capping.
  9. PaperPlanes

I don't even care anymore, this game is already in the coffin, we're just waiting to attend the funeral.
  10. Phazaar

11. TintaBux

You don't understand the system then ,the whole map will be used, for counter attacks and other tactical purposes.
  12. Yil

You are really confused about what's going on with the new lattice system.
  13. Jac70

OK, why will this be a positive change.
  14. TintaBux

It's needed for meta game and to stop ghost capping, it should make the game better overall, just wait for it to come and try it, you will see.
  15. Jac70

Well I am in the UK so the test server is not ideal and I don't have much space left on my boot SSD. My only fear is once it's on the main server there'll be no getting rid of it. Still, it appears that the devs don't listen to feedback re the test server anyway.

The only thing I can see happening with this is that it removes options about where you can progress, forcing people into choke points and zergs. Constant massive lagfests. I think the current adjacency system is fine, to prevent ghost cappers the game could require a capper to remain on a cap point whilst capping. A lone wolf couldn't cap a facility then for example. Capping is quicker dependant upon how many people you have on point so when a base has been overrun it would cap a lot quicker.
    • Up x 1
  16. prowler707

hmmmmmm here's a thought... let's say every person who plays has a fixed and balanced influential number which is equal to one. but not everyone is infantry, some are planes and tanks but they still equal 1 influential point of that type (infantry, tank, plane). now when capturing bases, not only does it take influential points of each faction but also how deep they are in the territory (this idea will take into effect that if your a sniper its best to be far from combat while CQC is in the heat of combat). i bet this will get those tanks a little more inbound rather than just hiding behind a rock and better handles territory control based on numbers, coverage, and effective use of your class (in other words learn how to play). however the frontline of combat is like a gray area that has little bearing other than representing how much territory you physically control in that territory (with the exception of CQC roles who will be charged with using their influence to push the frontline to the enemy). the only way to take over a territory is to know thy enemy. if they have tanks then get anti tanks... simple gameplay from here on out and makes team based play a bigger priority
  17. Phazaar

I'm not concerned with ghostcapping. I'm concerned with not wanting to order my men away from 2000XP, nor halt our advance unnecessarily. What the new mechanic does change is your choice when leading 48 people and having 0 opposition. Let's take Eisa Tech Plant, just because I remember the surroundings well. VS own it, and the territory West, North and East of it. We have the Pit, providing adjacency.

We want to take Eisa, so we move in, with no resistance, and take the point. Now, in the old system, I could get a squad to defend the point, increasing the cap speed by 300%, and send my other squads to defend the walls. If no attackers came, I could speed things along by moving into adjacent territories with my squads and increasing my influence; this could result in a capture time 1/10th of what a ghost cap would get.

Now that ghost capper is essentially at an advantage compared to where they would have been, but more importantly, my guys are at a disadvantage, twiddling their thumbs with nothing to do until the point flips. The ghost capping issue will largely be resolved by the lattice system, but the twiddling thumbs issue will only get worse as there will be no chance to go elsewhere and do anything and still make it back. This is simply badly thought out; uniformity is unnecessary. All we wanted was the timer to display a minutes-based number instead of trying to judge the movement of the bar when planning counter attacks.
  18. Mastachief

Some of the best fights ever, both small and large engagements. Actual base resecures, not constantly sitting in the spawn once 200 tr have zerged a point.

Fantastic move SOE keep it going in the right direction as theres a long road to greatness.
  19. Herrick

I agree, replace the cap system with LLUs from PS1.
  20. LibertyRevolution

You must be playing a different game then me...
    How it is on waterson is that 1 guy flips the point, then gets back in his tank to sit with the out 30 tanks that have the base completely circled constantly spamming the point with tank rounds while being fed by ammo sunderers.

Approaching the point is instant death. They just spam the point, no worry about hitting friendlies, as none need to be there.