[Suggestion] Get Rid of the Magrider!

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Malebranche, Jul 27, 2018.

1. Malebranche

Magriders are the weakest tanks in the game. Floating coffins they are. They get owned by Vanguards and Prowlers. Best thing to do is just dump them.

Here's my suggestion:

Vanu develops a fighting Sunderer- 3 turrets and can equip them with sarons, halberds and/or aphelions (use the tank secondary weapon stats for them). Same accessories as a standard sundy.
  2. LordKrelas

For the weakest tank, it is scoring a lot higher than logical, for that claim.

A 3-Saron vehicle..
    You ever use a saron?
    Now imagine a Sunderer with an additional gun, that has the AV Topgun firepower of a Magrider, who's best weapons are the top-guns.
    That's a battle bus from hell.
    • Up x 3
  3. Pacster3

Yeah, but that is the misconception of the magrider...that its top gun outshines the main gun easily. Do that to the other factions by nerfing their main gun enough that the magrider has a chance to win a 1player vs. 1player fight and is useless against air and we gonna see if that helps balancing VS vehicle play a bit.
  4. Doc Jim

The Magrider has the disadvantage that its "main" weapon and hull are stuck together, putting it at an extreme disadvantage when trying to outmaneuver opponents from frontal engagements at close range or disengaging at close range. I've come to believe that most balance suggestions that have been made over the years don't take this unique trait into account sufficiently.

Instead of doing anything to the weapons, maybe we should consider changes to the directional damage categories which the Magrider has. I suggest making the Magrider's rear resistance identical to its side resistance. Keep all the guns the same, keep the hitpoints the same, keep frontal resistance the same, keep side resistance the same. Just bring rear resistance up to the same values as the side resistance. That way the Magrider merely loses the ability to fire its "main" weapon at the enemy while disenganging or maneuvering around the enemy instead of losing both the ability to fire the "main" weapon AND getting fncked in the **** at the same time.

This change would leave long range duels unaffected and would not buff its firepower. It would merely allow the Magrider to actually take advantage of its maneuverability without getting disproportionately punished for it.
  5. Malebranche

You'd still need four crewmen to use it effectively, so that's a major weakness on its own.
  6. LaughingDead

Bruv, that's not the point.

Imagine a bus with 3 mjolners, or a buss with 3 vulcans, the DPS would be far too high for anyone to even contend with.

Like, concentrating that much firepower into a heavy vehicle is unfair to fight for literally everyone else.

Thats actually pretty funny considering they're actually in front of the vanguard in terms of performance and behind the prowler for vehicle kills.

If you are face tanking vanguards and prowlers in CQC combat then I'd understand where you're coming from, but you're not supposed to use the maggy in this way. At all.
    • Up x 4
  7. Towie

This might have an element of truth to it in my opinion - having played all three factions for ages and I tank a lot, I say the Magrider is great BUT (and it's a very big but) you must have a gunner.

The good news is - you can nearly always get a gunner. It was shown some time ago that the Magrider is 2/2 more often than Vanguard and Prowler and I doubt that has changed recently.

I can't help but feel the Magrider has been 'balanced' over the years by comparing the most frequent scenarios in the field - so invariably a 2/2 Magrider vs 1/2 Prowler or Vanguard.

The net result of all this is that the Magrider is weaker 1/2 compared to Prowler or Vanguard but when 2/2 it is good.

Moral of the story - if driving a Magrider, go find a gunner ;) - all said and done, it's still my favorite 'tank'.

(Incidentally my favored Prowler setup doesn't even have an AV top gun - AA proves to be more useful overall - especially since they nerfed the Gatekeeper)
  8. BorgUK1of9

Magriders are the worst tank ever to use on Hossin, I mean who designs a tank that when used in tight spaces is useless because its main gun is fixed to the front. You have to physically turn the whole tank to aim the gun, what muppet came up with that idea.

Unlike the Prowler and Vanguard it cant aim up at aircraft.

PS1 Magrider had no bullet drop (you know that VS speciality that disappeared) but COF at range to stop long range sniping.

Unike the PS1 Magrider that actually floated very nicely over ground and water (no water in PS2 was disappointing) this one clunks and bangs around (or even explodes over rough ground with the bug atm).
    • Up x 2
  9. Malebranche

Not really. A 3 turret sundy with 3 sarons will still be beaten by 2 vanguards with halberds- thats 4 guns (2 main guns + 2 secondary) versus 3 secondary guns.
  10. LaughingDead

You're asking for vanguards to always 2v1 your 1 tank. effectively, it's cheaper than 2 vanguards, it's a higher damage tier than all other vehicles and since you're asking for it to use sunderer resistances, it doesn't have a backside weakness.

That is BS.
    • Up x 2
  11. Pelojian

magrider is a higher skill tank, that's not a reason to cripple tanks that were designed differently just to appease players that do poorly in magriders.

if you want to tank as VS and suck in a magrider ether get a gunner or use a lightning.

when used properly and with finesse magriders are very effective (esp in groups, ground hover mode gives them more mobility in tank formations, like being able to drive OVER VS lightnings to attack enemies or retreat over vs lightnings)

no other ground vehicle has that easy capability to escape when an exit route is blocked by friendly armor.

magrider is harder to learn precisely because it is unconventional, anyone that knows of real life tanks can jump into any game and pilot a conventional designed tank and do reasonably well if they use their head.

magrider should be thought of as a heavy harasser or like a stealth tank tactic wise from command and conquer, you don't just throw them at the enemy, you use speed, surprise and out think the enemy to win.
  12. Malebranche

Then increase the resource cost of a battle sundy. Sheesh, how silly.
  13. LaughingDead

Thats to call an entire revamp of the vehicle resource cost balance.

You think I'm being silly? I actually enjoy the magrider thank you.
    • Up x 1
  14. BorgUK1of9

Its not harder to learn its just designed poorly in regard to control, the PS1 version to the PS2 version was like driving a Porsche compared to a WW2 Jeep. A fixed main gun that cannot aim up at aircraft, really who designs a tank like that.
    It lacks speed unless you put all your points into movement and surge. Its clunky and turns poorly and on Hossin is a liability.

Since release and the stupid amount of TR Harassers running around with Vulcans that we have seen since the 2015 change mean the Mag is no longer balanced.
    I remember in PS1 the Prowler needed 3 to gun, it was a poor plan by SOE, TR were constantly crying about it and TBF they were right, same issue now, a Mag without a gunner is useless and the low VS pops on all servers means finding gunners is harder now than ever.
    VS is broken, DBG have messed it up.
  15. Smoo

Well, back in the day of PS1, the top Saron was the main gun, and the front gun was not very effective. But, BACK THEN, it was okay, since the top guns (and ALL the tanks *required* gunners) were the main DPS anyway.

So the devs took the fixed crappiness of the pilot gun in the magrider, and built the entire tank around it.

A 2/2 Magrider is about equivalent to a 1/2 Vanguard or Prowler.

Magriders are a little better at zooming off a ledge, flipping over, and exploding, though.
  16. Movoza

Don't touch my favourite tank! 2/2 it's much better than the Vanguard if you can tactically manage the shield, and the potential is higher on many fields. Critical mass is easier, as you can traverse many bumps and crevices in the terrain, where the other tanks aren't able and forced into certain ways. That way you'll have more use per magrider and can lay down a ton of fire.
    One on one engagements with prowlers are my most difficult fight due to their sheer high damage. All tricks are pulled there to win, but certainly not impossible.

I'm pretty sure you're using the Deathrider wrong. A Saron 2/2 can put down great DPS, which forves the other factions to use 2/2. If you'll engage me 1/2, I'll just go straight through you if I can use the strong points.
    • Up x 2
  17. BorgUK1of9

Your absolutely right on this.

My magriders recently have been excellent for just completely exploding while driving over rough ground nevermind flipping or falling off a ledge.

My Scythes however flip over 50% of time, especially just after landing in a hurry to save a base, guaranteed to happen then.

But were not broken.
  18. Smoo

That's just ESF silliness, if you turn or maneuver while exiting the vehicle, the vehicle KEEPS moving- all those spinning tanks with the drivers out? ESFs do the same thing. So if you wiggle the wings while you exit, the Scythe decides that you just told it to flip itself. And does it, because SOE designed insane vehicle mechanics.
    • Up x 1
  19. Fishpoke

The slow projectile speed of the main cannon negates any ranged advantage they would have, the sarons TTK is abysmal upclose, let alone ranged moving targets on uneven terrain. It feels annoying using the driver weapons on the magrider, it's really annoying taking fall damage in a floating tank with hover 3. It's really annoying hitting infantry with a slow moving tank projectile directly only to watch them take two more to die. It's annoying not being able to tank another factions tank at anything but medium ranges due to the LOW hp pool relative to the TTK of a 2man magrider VS 2man prowler or vanguard. Magburner is a 1 second burn time with a 35 second recharge. ITS SO MUCH FUN TO USE I JUST CAN'T CONTAIN IT. It's fun not being to able to run over infantry some times for seemingly no reason. YAY HOVER! (but falldamage)

Um its cool being able to get on top of some things you couldn't in another tank, doesn't exactly provide any distinct advantages other than just being kinda fun. Knowing these devs though, they'll take that away too. Can't have fun, gotta be esports competitive!!! :/

Fortnite wrecked your numbers overnight because their game is fun first.
  20. IroncladBomber

Well, The Magrider isn't a Heavy Tank. The Vanguard is supposed to face tank things and just slug it out, which is why it slow as hell. The Prowler is meant to be either a very fast attack vehicle or a long range artillery piece. The Magrider, is a Hovering Self-Propelled Gun, it can strafe and is generally more agile than the others, it has very powerful top guns.