Get Rid of Cheaters Daybreak

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by DonkeyX, Nov 14, 2020.

1. DonkeyX

Daybreak,

Please have some of your people play or monitor the game as admins with the ability to ban obvious cheaters. It's been getting worse lately with players inside of walls, rocks, the floor, etc. That's literally all you have to do. That is all.
    • Up x 1
  2. JustGotSuspended

They used to have admins before, but I don't think they have the resources for that anymore. The cheaters do get banned quickly anyways.
  3. DonkeyX

No they don't. Dasd3asd has been in walls all weekend in big battles. Daybreak can't even pay one employee to just play games on the weekend? Give me a break.
  4. Liewec123

well we actually do have GMs, problem is they're complete idiots,
    (looking at you MillerLaw and ConnerySpandexParty...) banning people for stupid reasons.
    someone got banned for driving an ant inside of a biolab
    (no cheating involved, just drop an anvil on the landing pad)

and ALOT of people were banned for chatting in /mentor chat

so it seems even though we do have GMs, they're as incompetent as the devs. ;)
    • Up x 4
  5. JustGotSuspended

no i think the gm was wrel or one of his devs. They only came out to calm down people after they released the campaign...and esamir was always locked. So they came out to force the continent open, and also cause some chaos. But they disappearedquickly after that.
  6. LetMeBeClear

I have noticed an uptick of cheating as well. Some new, some old players still cheating from years ago. I can provide names and have someone to corroborate too. I had an old account get banned from no reason at all, still puzzles me to this day....yet blatant aim cheats/hitbox manipulation , esp, radar hax, movement cheats, no-reload hax, lag wizards, still running rampant. Before some bro science nerd comes around claiming they havent seen anyone hacking - good for you. **** and troll somewhere else. These people are cheating, plain and simple. It's not exploiting, it's sure as heck not lag (consistenlty over and over is not lag) - it's cheating. This game will die just like PS1 did when the hackers basically took over. Yes, I understand clientside is a problem but you are a business that requires revenue - that will end if cheaters become the norm. HANDLE IT.
  7. JustGotSuspended

alright!

Gives us the names, footage from your sessions, an any other tangible evidence to prove to us morons that everyone who kills us is cheating.

I'll wait :)

If you are unable to substantiate your claims, I'll happily explain to you why you've likely never encountered a hacker, and the br 7 with 16k directive score that 1hks you with his ns-15 20 minutes after you've stepped behind cover is perfectly legit, or at least has nothing to do with hacks...or you could just cry and pretend like you actually believe what you're saying!
  8. Liewec123

MillerLaw has been seen quite a few times over the past year, and it isn't Wrel that's for sure
    (Wrel made an apology on reddit after the ant guy got banned and said that the "MillerLaw" guy has been told it isn't an exploit.)

It's either a DBG employed gm or they've given some idiots gm powers and trusted that they use them responsibly...
    Apparently MillerLaw threatens to ban people just for asking if he's a real GM,
    That's the calibur of power-abusing moron who we're dealing with :p
    I'd wager that each server has a GM, though I can only confirm Miller and Connery.
    And the Connery GM who was banning people for chatting in mentor chat is called ConnerySpandexParty...
    Behold, our wonderful DBG GMs!
    • Up x 2
  9. JustGotSuspended

Yeah there's supposed to be a gm for every server, I typically just play on emerald and connery nowadays. The old gms were good, but I haven't seen a gm around until escalation, and they disappeared since then. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same dude who's moderating every server. I checked the connery gm and he has like 5 minutes playtime or something.

I wrongfully assumed that guy was wrel :(
    • Up x 1
  10. SheRocks

All modern 3D graphiccards support instant video recording, without losing fps like AMD Radeon ReLive OR Nvidia Instant Replay Function of ShadowPlay. So just use the Hot Key assign to that function (must be first enabeld) to save the short video clip, to get a real proof and report the users via the PS2 support website.

That's what I do while i'm not streaming. Last cheater I reported and recorded via a live twitch session.
    https://www.twitch.tv/ooldemool/clip/AliveProtectiveGorillaMingLee

RESULT = cheater terminated
    • Up x 3
  11. JibbaJabba

LOL, you you may have reported that guy when he had a broken inbound network connection (possibly even yours). Notice how he continues firing at your long after you're dead? The player on the other end of all this is seeing you alive at that time. Packets haven't reached him. If that was the only thing I would have let it slide.

But yeah, just shadowplay all the time. Cheating, Grieving, all that. They'll ban usually within 24hrs (sometimes within the hour) if it's legit. I had one that didn't get a ban and it was sketchy even worse than this one. Turned out the player also had a helpdesk ticket open about it.
  12. JustGotSuspended

LMAO

That explains a lot. You call THAT a cheater? Idk how new you are, but you should seriously rethink gaming.

V5 dude, V5.

No he didn't get terminated, and no he wasn't cheating.

Only thing he might be guilty of is playing with terrible ping. That said, server latency has been worse than usual for a few weeks since DBGs service provider yeeted them.
  13. Towie

Well technically he hasn't played since the 4th despite a very regular regime.Granted the evidence is not the strongest compared to the usual crap but only time will tell (I have made a note in my calendar to check back on this guy).

You guys need to understand that attempting to make a mockery of someone who ostensibly appears to be on your side isn't the best approach. Maybe the perpetrator is banned - maybe just taking a holiday - but the reporting user has utter confidence that a cheater has been dealt with.
  14. JibbaJabba

I too have confidence that cheaters are dealt with. This just wasn't one of them. I'm glad the guy is making submissions and it does look very sketchy at first glance. No mockery intended.

It does though further that narrative that I have yet to be convinced of: that the game is riddled with cheaters. I think it must just be worse elsewhere. I'm on emerald.
  15. SheRocks

I don't think so. Because when U loos the network connection, the client can't send any moving commands of your char do the server. So shooting, reloading, switching to the knife repeatedly (while he was close to me) and running in circles around me, even when he is already dead, is IMHO not possiple whitout a faulty network connection to the server. But i killed him, but whatever went wrong on his client, it seems that it would't accept the fact that he was also dead. But as U can see, he was still moving, even after his death. So for me it looks much more like a modified client, that is still sending bot commands to the client or maybe directly to the network, even after death.
  16. JustGotSuspended

Well if after 2 weeks his account still hasn't been removed from the registry, he definitely didn't get banned.

I'd say it's more likely he took a break because of how garbage an experience he was having with the server connection.

But whatever, the point is that if people consider this cheating, than there's reason for us to completely ridicule and disregard their accusations. In a video where:
    1) the player recording clearly sucks and may even be new to the game
    2) there's obvious connection queues such as the fact the attacker continues to shoot and stab the player long after he's dead, the sliding around of his corpse, the near instant kill and the erratic movements

it's hard to take a guy seriously after that. If you don't even realize that relatively common scenarios like this are not "DEFINITELY AIMBOT HACKER CHEATs"...well there's not much I can do.

Or maybe I can? If I find the time I will explain how online games work, and the what, why, how of certain scenarios that can happen in planetside thanks to the game's nature. I'll see if I can make a video, or a very informative post to help confused players out.
  17. JustGotSuspended

lmao where do people even come up with this
  18. SheRocks

Don't talk about what you could do, but do it. Only that counts. If you're as smart as you're doing here. Just explain it. I'm really curious what will come around. Because I for my part know exactly how network traffic and protocols work, how to program and all that for online applications. And that for over 30 years of professional experience, so I am curious. And you can shove your arrogant laughter somewhere else. By the way, trolls always behave the same way, in my personal experience.

All affected dogs may now bark. Because now I put on my Actice Noise Canling headphones also called Ignore Feature. How lovely it is!
  19. JibbaJabba

Sorry, gotta stop you right there. That is incorrect and breaks any assumptions made upon it.

Inbound and outbound are asymmetric UDP streams. They even transmit at a different tick rate. Packetloss on one leg but not the other is not uncommon at all.

What cheaters will do is put latency/loss on their outbound stream. It maximizes their clientside advantage. What you see going on here is the opposite. That accused player is exhibiting inbound latency/loss.

If they are attempting to cheat, they are taking the exact opposite steps they should be.

See above for how it works.

When you see his dead body moving around what you are seeing is a combination of two things:
    1. The inbound movement the player is streaming to the server that it is relaying on to your client.
    2. Confirmation from the server that it has accepted your clients claim at a kill.

Why the server does 1 while still doing 2 is a bug as far as I'm concerned. It's a server side decision though, not the far client which is presumably hackable.
  20. JustGotSuspended

Next time you should ignore your need to act ignorant and blatantly silly.

Yeah, you know so much about "exactly how network traffic and protocols work, how to program and all that for online applications." you can't even tell lag from an aimbot (btw your sentence made no sense). AND you need others to explain to you how roadkills work.

Now I'll skip the diagrams, and there's already a few people out there I'm sure who are ready to ridicule you for throwing yourself at their mercy. But as you wish, I'll explain the fundamentals of how planetside 2 works.

I'll define a client: a piece of equipment (in this scenario it'll be your PC) that communicates with a server.
    A server is something that provides some sort of service to a client. In our case, our servers will be providing us with information about who to pewpew and where. Servers would be Miller, Connery, Soltech...

Now the first thing we have to wrap our heads around is clientside hit detection. Although server side games are supposed to be more secure, the sheer scale of Planetside 2 makes running serverside incredibly difficult, if not nearly impossible (at least when the game was launched) to say the least. So we're stuck with clientside. This means that the server will receive generalized information from each client, validate it, and share it with other clients who will individually process the information, then send it back to the server which validates it before sending it back again, and it's a continuous loop where the server will receive information from player x, send it to player y, who will then process the fact they've killed player x, who will send that information to the server, who will relay it to player x. The server and the client both operate on independent ticks. These ticks determine the input/ouput of information of the client and server. The tick frequency is basically just a clock that dictates when the server or client will send packets of information to each other. The frequency and the sync of these ticks is crucial in understanding what happens next.

Now one problem becomes glaringly apparent. Sending that information back and forth obviously takes some time. Yet the game doesn't seem to "pause" while it await information from the server. Why is that? Well to solve the problem that the server's tick frequency isn't infinite, and there's travel time for packets exchanged between client and server, some smart people came up with a brilliant solution: extrapolation. Now most games that still operate on clientside would resort to server reconciliation. Planetside 2 for several reasons choses to use extrapolation. This means that the client predicts (extrapolates) what "should" happen based on the information it has last received from the server. A common symptom of this is during times of disconnection, or extreme lag, everyone is traveling in a straight path, along their initial trajectory. Another common occurrence would be people who seem stuck infinitely firing their weapon with no reloading. These are side-effects of letting clients extrapolate information from the server, but generally with relatively synchronized ticks the communication between the client and the server usually allows for a decent gaming experience.

Now we're going to spice some things up. Obviously, not everyone is directly hooked up to the serve they're playing on. Some live a few kilometers away, some live a few countries away. And that's not all! Some people have bad internet providers, while others have better ones or have a more direct path to the server, meaning it's entirely possible (albeit unlikely) for a dude in Hong Kong to have better connection to the US servers than someone living in the US. That's where latency and ping come into play. You see those little bars at the bottom right of the page when you press tab in game? One should be labelled ping, the other should be labelled latency (both measured in milliseconds, or 'ms').

Ping is very simple, it's the measure of how fast your client sends out signals. Latency is a bit more complicated, it's the measure of how fast your signals complete a round way trip from your client, to the server, back to your client. That's why generally ping is a lower number than latency.

Where this fits into our story is that this latency value effectively determines how our client-server connection is synchronized. Generally, a player with really low latency will have faster communication with the servers, and will seem to react faster, and overall have a nice advantage in a majority of scenarios, since it's exchanging information quickly. Players with higher latency will appear to have slower reaction, will die behind cover a lot, or simply not be able to react to players with lower latency than them. Obviously, the greater the difference between client latency values, the more obvious these discrepancies will be. For example, a player with 50 lat will have a much higher advantage vs a player with 300 lat than 100.

If only that was all. But there's a little more to it that that. You'll sometimes see players play outside their region, or seem really laggy, yet they mow you down before you even have a chance to realize what happened! Here we combine what we learned about extrapolation and how communication between server and client works to uncover one of the major flaws of the initial clientside.

When the client is disconnected from the server, it's no longer receiving server packets. The ping can be low, but the latency will spike. We're experiencing packet loss due to network congestion. Packet loss is normal, within acceptable rates. But when you start to lose too much, things can get wild. However the client will still be able to play locally, for a certain amount of time, because the server is expecting the client to reconnect. During this time, the client is accumulating packets to be sent to the server, but it's continuously missing the tick rate, and not able to actually enter this information to the server. Once a normal connection is restored and the ticks rates are relatively synchronized again, the server will catch up to the client's accumulated data, and that's why weird stuff starts to happen.

And this weird stuff can happen normally, many times it's unintentional, and it's why sometimes you'll see dudes frozen, that will die 5 minutes after you've killed them, because the information catches up to them once a proper connection is restored. The problem is, it's possible that if the disconnection is timed to allow the player to do weird things, like kill a ton of dudes, "teleport", use his abilities longer before eventually reconnecting with the server. In some cases, this can be really advantageous, which is why some people use lag switches to artificially reproduce favorable packet loss. Fortunately, it's usually obvious to detect the abnormal traffic from such "players", who will get banned.

When they aren't intentional, like 99.999999999999% of situations you'll encounter in planetside, it has something to do with either unwanted connection issues or advantages that allow for funky scenarios like those you recorded. Trust me, I can bet anything the guy is having about as much fun as you are with that lat spike. There's a bit more to this, and the messy netcode and bugs do play a role in certain things you see. But in general it usually amounts to an issue with response from the client or the server based on connection issues, that results in a meme.
    • Up x 3