GD-22s as NC starting weapon... really?

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by Pocketpillow, Jan 3, 2022.

1. Pocketpillow

I've just come back from a very long hiatus (mostly played before Daybreak took over).

Imagine my shock when I made an NC character only to find that the GD-22 has replaced the SAW as the starting weapon.

In a world where people have never played this game before, I could see this ... somehow making sense, but not really, because the DPS and TTK for this weapon is so vastly inferior to the defaults of the other factions that whatever perceived ease of use is quickly negated by the fact that you're lying in a pool of your own blood. In fact, the Orion/Carv are both much easier to use and kill faster in skilled hands in short-mid ranges.

The flinch mechanic has always favored fast RoF weapons in CQC/mid-range, making this a liability in those situations. Furthermore, given that this weapon only really shines over the opposition at longer ranges, this is a strict downgrade to starting with the SAW.

While it's not hard to get the 1k certs to buy a SAW, it's still a bizarre choice given the better alternative, i.e. the EM 6 that not only has tractable recoil but a respectable TTK/DPS and will not leave you completely at the mercy of the enemy in short-mid range scenarios.

The EM6 is also more in-line with other NC weapons. There is no situation where the GD-22 outshines it, other than hip fire, but given that it has such terrible hip accuracy (no advanced laser sight as well to mitigate that), it's a completely moot point.

It is an ADS weapon, it is not an anchor which is the only LMG in the NC arsenal to give that flexibility. Hell, the anchor is a strictly better weapon and that is the problem: it is in most aspects of the game a strictly inferior LMG, so why is this the starting weapon again?
  2. JustGotSuspended

GD-22 is pretty good, but I agree I honestly would've kept the SAW as default. Saw is one of the best LMGs ever, and wasn't even particularly hard for new players to use if we're being honest. That said in most aspects the gd-22 is easier to use than the anchor, it's more versatile and accurate. Anchor is more of a specialized cqc weapon, for vets.

But yeah I wish they reverted to the SAW, it's a bit silly and kinda breaks the 'starting lmgs are the best' rule.

Also bonus tip if you haven't already noticed make sure you remove nanoweave, for some reason it's equipped as default for HA but there's a 10% movement speed reduction now.
  3. TR5L4Y3R

GD 22s by the majority of players has been agreed upon to should have been the NC starterweapon. for me i can only say that it is generaly easier to control than the gausssaw, can´t speak for the em 6 or anchor as i don´t have them ... the thing is those are 1000 cert weapons so of course RPG is gonna make the GD 22 s the default weapon over the EM6 and anchor ..
    the gausssaw no doubt is a monster ... but that is also its problem it´s a beast to control without being decked out in attachments ... not a good starterweapon ... i´m surpriced that they made the gauss cost a 1000 cert though instead of 650 cert ..
  4. BlackFox

Before the change I saw a lot of NC running around with the GD 22 - so I would say if it's good enough to get unlocked and used by a lot of people, it's a good starter LMG
    • Up x 2