Gauss Compact Burst - How Do The Modes Work?

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by Kensharma, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Kensharma

So I am debating between the mercenary and the compact burst, but I wanted to know how the modes work on the burst (how you switch, what modes there are, what default is) and what attachments go well on it?

Thanks;
  2. Kensharma

Also, how does the GD-7F stack up at medium-long ranges?
  3. Trysaeder

Burst modes should be single fire and triple burst, press B to toggle. I don't think it has full auto if the beta one is still relevant.
    Available certs can be seen in the certs menu for the gun.
    In general, reflex sight + foregrip/laser sight is a safe choice. I've found that the reflex sight upgrade directly improves my K:D better than nearly every other cert. For longer ranged engagements, consider using the 2x reflex + advanced foregrip.

It's worse since it's a CQC carbine. At close range, it's one of the deadlier guns you can possibly buy, with a high rate of fire, good hipfire accuracy and decent damage. Advanced laser sight allows it to hip fire out to 10 metres without trouble.
  4. Bandit1379

FYI, the Gauss Compact S has all 3 fire modes, and can equip the Underslung Grenade Launcher.
  5. ackerx

Only problem is you need switch fire mode EVERY respawn. Also cert aint worth that much.
    Except SOE will make fire mode stay after you swap and not set back when you die. Then "S" might be good one to pick up. Also GD7F is absolutely better than Gauss Compact "S" in CQC too.
  6. Kensharma

So the compact s can fire full auto, 3 bullet burst and single and can also have underslung, but has less dmg and accuracy then default rifle?
  7. PoopMaster

Guass compact burst is 2 bullets per burst I think.
  8. Achmed20

it is exactly the same as the default rifle except it has has every accessory out there available for certs (silencer, smoke/nade launcher, soft and velocity ammo, a 6x scope etc)
    • Up x 1
  9. Jeron

Sorry for massive unforgivable old intentional Necro.. but its so rare to see a thread on the Gauss Compact Burst I was afraid to see a new thread get forgotten too as it always gets out shined but the Gauss Compact S.

The benefits for the Burst are the 2 shot burst mechanic. Meaning that you don't fly through your ammo as fast while bursting and the recoil is more manageable.

It also has a faster fire rate, something many overlook.
    If you keep it bursting (not like its optional) it hits 600 RPM, where the compact S has 577 RPM even at full auto.

Also, the bust has superior reload times. Short reload of 1.8s with Long reload of 2.75s, where as the compact S has a Short reload of 2.365s with Long Reload of 2.94s - this is a crazy difference...

Considering that you going to be flying through your ammo less often with the compact burst, you will more often hit that 1.8 reload time.

Recoil.

Again as mentioned above, the recoil rate is superior - EXCEPT for the first shot recoil multiplier. I would love to hear some opinions on whether or not this actually that bad, so far I have not noticed, but other might have an issue with this.

To summarize, and I hope the message gets across to others, if you are looking for a bursting weapon, and that's your main port of call for whatever reason, then the Gauss Compact Burst is the better option, don't let the 2 shot burst make you think that 3 is better.

The Compact S is like the inspector gadget of guns - but joking aside, the Gauss compact S's under barrel attachment the reason to buy this weapon, not for its bursting capabilities.
  10. Iridar51

Except for better horizontal recoil, access to HVA and ADS Move CoF, Gauss Compact Burst is identical to the AF-19 Mercenary, so this is the weapon it should be compared with.

Mandatory fixed burst mechanic is not an advantage, it's a disadvantage that compensates for the advantages mentioned above.

Debating whether Gauss Compact S or Gauss Compact Burst is a better burst weapon is purely academic, because burst weapons in PlanetSide 2 are incredibly underpowered, and made worse, not better, by their burst mechanic.

In other words, there is no reason to look for a burst weapon for the sake of firing in bursts, since that is not an advantage.
    Those few people who do use burst weapons don't use them for their bursts, they use them for better accuracy stats, and burst mechanic is just something you have to learn to bypass to get that accuracy advantage.
    • Up x 1
  11. Jeron

Fair enough mate, you know your stuff :)
  12. Leivve

Unless you're the TX1 and can go toe to toe with full sized guns at close range.
  13. Iridar51

The context was "burst weapons are underpowered compared to full auto weapons".
    But yeah. TX1 much OP.