Games Freezes & even Task Manager can't shut it down.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Liquidrider, Dec 15, 2013.

1. Liquidrider

Has this happened to anyone else? This is the second time it has happened to me. The crash is so bad, that I have to actually restart my computer just to play again.

The game will freeze up, in task manager it says the program is not responding so I end the process. But it never actually ends it.

I don't think i have ever had a program let alone a game do this.
  2. Crackulous

Not once did ending the process not close a program, at least for me. This game crashed a few times last month, but not to the extent of which you experienced. Does this occur with other applications on your computer?
  3. Hicksimus

While I can't be 100% sure this is what's happening to you I will throw this out here just in case.

Occasionally mine crashes in a way that I can get the task manager but cannot use my mouse to properly interact with the task manager because the moment I click on the task manager Windows responds as if I have clicked in Planetside. Basically Planetside 2 is still over top of the task manager it's just that PS2 is transparent.

If this might be the case for you then familiarize yourself with using your keyboard to navigate the task manager. Ex. using tab, spacebar, enter, etc.. And also, if this is the case then maybe take a look at your GPU temps and your OC if applicable. For me this is triggered by my fan profile failing to apply sometimes and the moment my GTX670 throttles PS2 crashes in this fashion.
  4. Nocturnal7x

Won't help with the freezing but have you tried right click>go to process then right click the PS2 process> End process tree.

That should kill it.
  5. Appalachian

This happens to me as well, but only if I let the game sit long enough for it to shut itself down due to inactivity. Once that happens the only way I can get it to finish shutting down is to reboot.
  6. Saool

2 or 3 times a night. It does usually close itself eventually, but it can be five mins before I can get back into game.

It's always nice when it happens near the end of an alert.
  7. Vako

This just started for me recently. I'm not quite sure what's causing it but it follows the same general patterns: Something causes the client to freeze and become unresponsive, I close it down with task manager, which does close the game screen but the program itself stays active in task manager and no process that I've found short of rebooting will make that stop.

Until a reboot of the PC is done you can't log back in as opening the client simply displays the message "playing" rather than play to log back in.

Hope that tiny bit helps in any dev efforts to fix it.
  8. Cest7

Been getting CTD on map/menu as my BR100 vanu recently...