[Suggestion] Gameplay improvement suggestions.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by NubCannon, Dec 12, 2017.

1. NubCannon

First and foremost, i would like to state that even tho i currently main TR i do often play VS and NC characters and as such have been noticing some problems with the game that are driving people away.

The first step to fixing gameplay to make the game more enjoyable for players is to identify what situations cause problems and not just what the problems are.

The first problem i would like to address is the Infantry to Vehicle gameplay in its current state.
    Starting with the most frustrating of all the Infantry weapons. The phoenix. I feel as though the phoenix is a very well balanced weapon based on its damage and reload speed and ability to fly around. However, there is one circumstance that make the phoenix an absolute nightmare that is killing this game. Spawn room warriors. The phoenix is the only rocket launcher in the game at this time with a mechanic allowing it to be remote controlled and effectively used without line of sight. This has lead to many HA players to sit safe inside spawn rooms and fire a constant barrage of missiles at opposing armor which then has no chance at countering it. Yes you could shoot the missiles, i know, but the hit box on the missile is small and quite often you cant aim at it well enough until it is too late. I feel as though an effective solution to this problem is to stop phoenix missiles from firing through spawn shields. This way the phoenix still maintains its unique role of a long range rocket launcher that doesn't require line of sight, whilst still removing the problem of not being able to avoid the threat.

Secondly, the Spear turrets currently are pretty well useless. They're difficult to use due to low velocity and any MBT can destroy them easily. They're stationary, slow firing, low damage, and all around only worth the 150 or so XP the enemy gets for destroying them from the neighboring base. The spear turret is in desperate need of some sort of buff. To be quite honest, they're only useful for hitting enemy libs and ESFs that have landed for repairs.

Thirdly Flak, Flak in its current state has given rise to the absolute worst time flying imaginable. The long range effectiveness of the various Flak cannons in the game (skygaurd, ranger, burster) is currently so good that quite often air vehicles are being hit several hundred meters away. This is especially apparent on the northern half of Indar where there are very few tall objects to obscure line of sight. Occasionally, Burster maxes are able to hit Aircraft while not even rendering for the aircraft. I completely understand that Air needs a counter, but as it currently sits, every vehicle has a counter to air, that now has enough range and dps to kill even a max composite armor liberator with little trouble. While this is great for the Burster maxes and the skygaurds, this has completely destroyed the effectiveness of Air vehicles in this game. I suggest putting a range cap or damage fall off (or greater damage fall off) on each of the flak cannons in the game. Alternatively, one could add bloom to the flak cannons so as to scale their effectiveness with the range of the target. This would allow for skygaurds and rangers to maintain a defensive role against aircraft rather than an offensive role against them (which i feel should be reserved for only other air vehicles).

On the other end of the spectrum i would like to address infantry gameplay.
    Squad cohesion: On the subject of squad cohesion i would like to state that currently, each class does not have a clear and necessary role on the battlefield.
    Infiltrator: infiltrator is the most entertaining and probably the most hated of the class. But in organized fights the infiltrator has 1 job. Hack the enemy terminal and pull a sundy. after this has been accomplished or the terminal has been destroyed, the infiltrator has no further use and many people just switch back to HA. I feel as though the infiltrator should have a constantly necessary job on the point. One could argue that the infiltrator's job is to provide motion spotting, however with the addition of scout radar flashes and Valkyries as well as sensor shield removing the effectiveness of these things. I suggest giving infiltrators an increased speed at taking points (and strength of holding points) based on the hacking passive. this will make infiltrators more valuable for base assaults and defenses than they currently are, without completely changing the class.
    Light assaults: Light assaults are an odd class right now, they are the most mobile yet still have the ability to carry 2 c4 bricks and the rocklet rifle (which with typhoon rocklets rivals the damage of the HA launchers) they are both good at flanking and putting out AV damage, making them extremely effective in most situations. This in my opinion takes away from the HA class as an AV platform. I feel as though the Light assault's rocklet rifle should be relocated from the tool slot to the secondary weapon slot or the primary weapon slot so as to reduce the duality of a single LA load out (av and ai capabilities) while not taking away from either.
    Engineer and combat medic honestly are fine where they are right now but could use some expansion on how they do what they do (maybe ill make another post on that)
    Heavy Assault, Heavy assault is one of the few classes that i feel needs to be limited. Specifically, a delay on shield activation to drive the HA shield into a proactive role rather than a reactive win button as it has been in the past. Except for the resist shield which isn't a direct increase in health and already has a proactive rather than reactive role in the game.
  2. Prudentia

you do know that skyguard only recently got a hefty nerf to it's accuracy right?
    and AA aside from lockon rocketlaunchers already are the most useless thing in the game so making them even worse at the only thing they even can do is not gonna make the game any better.
    • Up x 1
  3. WORSTgameEU

Can I just quickly address how imbalanced some spawns on the maps are for HIVES??? Like. HIVES are what trigger events alongside the territory control, who on earth decides to make an abstract square map and try split it into 3 random regions. Surely the developers know a CIRCULAR map would allow for more even distances between warpgates and points of interest. My BIGGEST problem with planetside, BY FAR, is how the maps are laid out. It's TERRIBLE.

Developers have you even LOOKED at Esamir or did you outsource some infants to design the map and just uploaded it without looking at it? The Southern spawn gets 1/2 the map and 200k kilometers between them and the enemy allowing for amazing hives earlygame, also, the biolab between the two northern spawns means the battle will stagnate there while the Southern faction steamrolls the rest of the map. Southern spawn on esamir also has best connections for Redeploy travel. You can go from one side of the map to the other from the start of the map. Are the developers SERIOUSLY not considering balancing the map layouts?

I see people complaining so much about balance but they never address how impossible it is to get a proper hive going on some maps as some warpgates have lush open fields and others have mountains. FYI it takes 20 times as long to farm cortium in mountains....

If I had to complain about all the things that bother me in this game, I would need to take a year off.
    • Up x 1