Game Update 04: Coming soon!

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Higby, Mar 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stringz

2. Patrician

There are an awful lot of assumptions being made about The 'Nix and there needs to be a little calm. In PS The Phoenix was very slow flying and could not equal a Mossie or Reaver in level flight with a very wide turning circle; also it's damage was not that high. For instance it would take around four to five hits to take out a lightning and all that time the user was blind to all events around him/her. Finally the range was not that far; it's a little difficult to mentally compare PS to PS2 distances but I doubt the distance was greater than 200 metres.
  3. Dubious

Maybe cause ALL spawnrooms is inside bases/towers and no way for vehicles to shoot inside? (in PS1)
    Vehicles still shot in doors though, pretty much keeping infantry inside, but they couldnt take the base with just vehicles like they can now
  4. Patrician

This ^^^
  5. Yoda

exactly.. and that was my point.. and it was alot better for it
  6. Being@RT

The other night I was quite miffed about getting killed by splash damage from a tank. This splash damage was caused by the tank shooting through a doorway, up stairs, another doorway, then hitting the shot on the roof near me. Obviously the tank could have been on another side of the building and simplifying it to just one doorway-roof, but wow...
  7. Dubious

Even worse, libs can bomb INSIDE buildings too
    This was never an issue in PS1 cause libs can only drop bombs straight down
  8. RaTzo

OK let's work this through.

You've got 3 or 4 tanks shelling the base. They know where you are going to spawn, and since they are tanks they can and will kill you with ease (at least until the next patch).

What would you do if you were a real soldier? ie if this was your one life to live. Would you spawn in the spot where the tank will know exactly where you are and kill you in a moment? OR would you try to spawn somewhere else and bring arms that are effective against tanks to the area you are defending?

It's not rocket science. If you are getting farmed in these situations the tanks being OP is not the problem. You have to play PLANETSIDE not COD. It's a different game all together. It's a great game if you play the game you're in....
    • Up x 1
  9. RaTzo

Perhaps you shouldn't spawn infront of a tank over and over.... just a thought.
    • Up x 1
  10. Nerfley

Looking at the new rocket launchers, I have some concerns.

The VS get a anti-vehicular sniper rifle, the NC get a hand-held predator missile launcher, and the TR get an Annihilator with the ability to fire a salvo of watered-down rockets that you must keep aimed at your target. This doesn't add up.

The new VS rocket launcher will be incredibly effective against armor and infantry. There is no warning that you are about to get hit with a high-powered laser with (I assume) some splash damage. In order to balance this weapon, it should function along the lines of the Spartan Laser from Halo. Charge up to a specific point and then the laser is released. This would allow armor and infantry to react to the threat with sufficient time to avoid utter annihilation.

The new NC rocket launcher seems incredibly overpowered, and this is coming from someone who plays NC. The ability to put high damage projectiles on any target due to its camera guidance (without warning, I might add) is absolutely devastating to armor and infantry. Cover becomes useless. Armor cannot run from the projectiles either, the missles will chase them wherever they go and hit them in the rear armor. Skilled players will be able to hit infantry inside buildings as well. I do not know how this weapon can be balanced, and I am worried that this will make the NC incredibly hard to engage effectively.

The TR rocket launcher is very underpowered compared with the previous two. Yes it fires a salvo of missiles, but if your cursor strays from the target or the target moves behind cover, the launcher becomes useless. In addition, the enemy will have fair warning when they are being locked on to. I would suggest keeping the launcher as is, but doing away with the "keep the cursor on target nonsense" or adding a dumbfire ability.

In regards to the nerf of splash damage on vehicles, I think it is completely unnecessary. With these new launchers, infantry gain yet another means to destroy armor (not like they already have a metric ****-ton of anti-vehicular options already). This will make armor almost useless in sieges and easily destroyed in other combined arms engagements. The prowler nerf especially upsets me. It already takes a near direct hit to one-shot infantry, and the recoil on the prowlers guns ensures that infantry can't be killed in very rapid succession. One must pause and re-aim before they shoot the second gun.

I realize that I will not know how these changes will affect gameplay until they are implemented, but I hope these concerns are taken into consideration.

~Nerfley

P.S. Sorry for the poorly constructed arguments. It's kinda hard to type out something successful on a phone.
  11. ClubberLaing

Yes, it means that Prowlers will have to reload between each infantry kill, just like the other MBTs, instead of after every 2nd infantry kill.

bump
  12. TheBloodEagle

Dafuq are you smoking? Have you even been here since launch or beta? Are you new to the forums? Have you not paid any attention to anything at all? Stop pretending like you know anything because you sure as hell act like a noob.
    • Up x 1
  13. LanceHavenbay

Reduce overall weapon pricing, or be willing to give people the **** they payed for. Excluding faction specific weapons is just a cop out for money, as it is extremely easy to A) Code for this weapon = this weapon on the opposing faction, especially considering that each weapon has a counterpart on the opposing faction. B) For every faction specific weapon, giving the play credits towards buying another weapon. Currency that is completely localized, such as SC *after purchase.*

I like giving you my money and all, but please don't be so cheap. Makes many of us less willing to pay/donate.
    • Up x 1
  14. flavahbeast

If armor has overrun a base and multiple tanks are farming people as they exit the spawn room you've already lost the fight and are probably badly outnumbered, that doesn't mean infantry is bad
    • Up x 2
  15. darkagent

infantry need more loving, vehicle spam is rediculous on helios, no matte what tower or base (besides bio labs of course) theres always like 20 tanks outside of a tower just shelling everything. the only time theres ever good infantry combat is inside of bio labs and on some bases like the stronghold and areas where tanks have a hard time getting into.
  16. woeye

But instead of nerfing vehicles more and more they could tweak the maps or add more infantry only areas?

Well, since most players hate vehicles and prefer CoD or BF3 infantry style SoE must change the game if they want to keep those players.

I wonder when SoE will reduce the map size. Without vehicles the maps are way too huge.
  17. Biohazard099

Everybody RELAX about the new AV weapons.
    They come straight from PS1. As a veteran PS1 VS player (also VS on PS2) i can say that the Lancer isn't the " uber death laz0r snip0r " cannon you all make it to be with your cries for " boo! "

Here's how it worked in PS1 : It needed an initial charge to start firing (spartan laser) once it had the initial charge it could discharge a blast every 1.5 second or so. There weren't scope upgrades for it so you couldn't see that far with it anyway. And I don't remember sniping things from further than 200M so yeah. Sure. You can take out reavers that are flying low and SLOW/still who are trying to get a infantry shot - and then you can get a few hits in. But otherwise good luck hitting that fast flyer.

Back to PS1. It took about 5 or so hits to take down a sky guard (Which was a vehicle in between a flash and a Lightning in the original PS1. Kind of like a buggy ) HELL it took 3 (!) shots to take out a FLASH. So imagine how many consecutive hits you need on a Prowler. The lancer would, like ANY OTHER THING in Planetside be dangerous in large quantities. If you have a 3-man Lancer team focus firing on the same vehicle, then yes it gets wiped out pretty fast. But remember, a vehicle that gets focus fired with any of the current AV weaponry is toast in seconds as well.

Here's a VIDEO of the Lancer in ACTION. You can search for simular videos on youtube for the NC Phoenix and the TR weapon.

The NC Phoenix wasn't that big of an issue either. I never really got a grudge for it. No, the grudge was reserved for the *** damn Jackhammer (especially in towers, it was nearly an insta-kill weapon like the Hacksaw MAX)
    The Phoenix is _incredibly_ slow and like the lancer doens't do that much single-hit damage, and didn't have a " snipe it from a few miles out " range.
    Since spawn rooms were deeper inside bases and there were actually doors that physically opened and close there was no way to get a missile out. But I can't remember the NC having a " super advantage " by having the Phoenix in the original game.

I do acknowledge however; that vehicles seem to be getting a bit de-buffed too much.
    Tanks with HE should do massive splash damage. That's why your buying into that weapon. But Getting hit inside a structure by splash damage done on another level/object ? The solution for that is to fix the game code hit/object detection (i.e splash doesnt traverse trough solid stuff - especially not a whole floor down or up ! ) and that's it. Basta. Don't nerf the splash damage itself for it.

Getting killed over and over again in the open, or by spawning right in front of a tank is your own damn fault.
    Stop wining about it, spawn elsewhere and nuke those tanks with rocketpods, a lib, or have your whole squad roll out in AV max and bust out. Seriously now ...

Here's a suggestion. Have vehicles being able to detect which direction (and range maybe) the attack is coming from. This could be done with a HUD option. This way, you at least know which way you should DODGE.
    Most of the time when there's AV spam, you just can't tell where it's coming from and you die simply from lack of information, not lack of skill/dodging ability.
    • Up x 1
  18. atiroperion

why reducing the one shot kill? because if you don't aim good right now, you do not get the one shot kill.
    and if you guys reduce the one shot kill, are you guyd going to make the reload faster?
  19. woeye

And when they finally pleased all CoD and BF3 players the next version of CoD/Battlefield came out ...
    • Up x 1
  20. -Crotalus-

Its very depressing to see how slanted this game is moving towards infantry vs vehicles......

Alot of people enjoy playing vehicles exclusively in this game, and they are more and more seeing the field set to where one infantryman who cost no resources, has a 10s respawn time, is capable of killing their vehicle which cost 250+ resources and has timers ranging from 5-15minutes (I know my timers are off, I believe its worse than that for non certed players)

And the problem is infantry is rarely by themselves, a tanker has to deal with 10+ heavy assaults shooting launchers at him, and in the next GU when they put in the faction launchers, it will be even worse, next week is going to be a flat out horrible time to play anything but infantry.....guess I'll brush up on my infiltrator to farm all these "skilled' players who will be busy with their launchers.
    • Up x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.