[BUG] Game studers and drops frame rate since last update

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Ravenwolf Foxtrack, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Ravenwolf Foxtrack

Since the recent update, my frames and refresh rate have gone to garbage. Sever stuttering, lagging, and overall feeling of slowing down. I have an ASUS ROG gl753v gaming laptop with a GeForce1050, 32 gb of RAM, 2tb SSD, Core i7 7700 at 2.8ghz. Graphics driver is of course updated. I was able to run at high settings before the latest update, but now at medium and lower the affects are as described. Fights in the air are getting worse and fighting on the ground is very difficult.

Is anyone else experiencing the same issues? Is there a way to fix the problem on my end? Any settings i might be able to use to help? I tried the optimizing option with the GeForce experience, but it didn't help much at all.
  2. AlcyoneSerene

Since yesterday I have an occasional bug causing extreme stuttering. It's extremely choppy to move the mouse and the screen just tears itself.

Not sure what triggers it yet, and no way to clear it except restarting. Using the latest nvidia drivers on gtx1080. I also have some new hardware so been worried it's related to it, but I don't think so since nothing else has had problems.
  3. ObiVanuKenobi

My laptop has exactly the same specs except 16gb ram. Render quality 90 or even 80 will help a lot. Turning off or lowering shadows makes a big difference.

I run everything low/off, high particles, 80 render quality and almost never drop below 60 fps.
  4. OneShadowWarrior

I did see a bunch of server latency spikes today on Connery Server, one as high as 7000 ms. Everyone on the server was hit with it. The servers been running horrible through the Holidays.
  5. AlcyoneSerene

Not server lag, this is serious. I can only clear this bug by restarting PC.

If the words "Extreme Stuttering" aren't enough, how about staring into a strobe light, with each flash represented by a frame, being torn up all over the screen. Completely and fully unplayable when the bug randomly hits.

It affects the main menu too, and the mouse is extremely choppy and lagged out too. Resembles the effect of concussion grenade, except it's permanent.

I can't downgrade my nvidia drivers either. A specific hardware cross-compatibility feature introduced at start of last year is necessary for my setup. No other games are affected though, just PS2.
  6. AlcyoneSerene

I have a suspicion the extreme FPS lag could be tied to Discord program since I noticed a correlation with having run it once versus fresh PC restart and never launching it. I've since uninstalled & reinstalled Discord and also disabled Hardware Acceleration option just in case, and that hasn't happened so far.
  7. Liewec123

i actually had some stutter too on my game night on friday :S

wasn't a net issue because my ping and latency are always below 100,
    wasn't a hardware issue because i'm running a GTX2080ti with an i9 9900k.
    wasn't a software issue because nothing else has been updated recently.
    i don't use discord either, so that wasn't the culprit.
    :O
  8. AlcyoneSerene

Discord causes extreme FPS tearing/lag in PS2. It's so consistent even on my brand new PS2 install on another hard drive.

How to replicate: launch discord just once. Doesn't matter if it's closed afterwards. PS2 loads, then on menus alone the cursor is extremely choppy, and then so is in-game experience as soon as I redeploy away from the warpgate.

The only thing that clears it is to restart, and never launch Discord.

I've already tried uninstalling and reinstalling a new version of Discord, and also disabled hardware acceleration. For a time that worked, but the problem is back. I even saw a Discord popup saying to "go live" to stream to discord when launching PS2. I believe whatever hooks Discord has on PS2 are causing the permanent completely unplayable extreme stuttering.