Game is boring, Buff Engineer pls!!

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by ReconTeemo, Dec 18, 2013.

1. ReconTeemo

Infiltrator is getting a drone. Engineer should get a Sentry Gun :D [IMG]
    [IMG]

not the currently lame turret -_- bland and boring. I mean in terms of infantry fights, Heavy, Combat, Infil, and LA are just better. I don't want to play Engi, just for being a repair slave or pilot/driver.
    • Up x 1
  2. Synister

Clearly, Engineer isn't the class your playstyle suits, so you need to ask yourself a few questions.
    1) Do I want to play a support Class?
    2) Do I want to be able to sufficiently hold my own against vehicles?
    3) Do I want to focus on Stealth?
    4) What am I interested in with regards to this game?

1) if you answered yes, I'd suggest Combat Medic or Infiltrator to be your primary class.
    2) If you want to be able to do this, heavy is your guy.
    3) Infiltrator, or Light Assault, depends which kind of stealth you want to focus on.
    4) This could translate to each of the 5 classes.

My best suggestion for you would be to spend a couple of hours playing each class and find out which works best for you.
    Hope this helped :)
  3. ReconTeemo

I'm level 74 (with 2 alts all 40+) who stop playing this game since early October. Used to have 70% engineer. Have always been support playstyle. I can tell you, 40% of the time I'm either a max's **** or everybody's dog.
  4. Serafine

You are clearly missing a team.
    There is nothing more epic than throwing mines and other explosives from the back of a Harasser or a Cloak-Flash at unsuspecting tanks and Sunderers. Also the MANA turrets are quite fun to use (never underestimate the AI turret, it is incredible deadly, even at long range). And the Engineer makes a very good tank driver, too.
    Engineer can even be a "mortar emplacement" (six engineers shelling an area with UBGLs is extremely devastating).
  5. Erendil

I miss Spittifre turrets. And Cerbs. :(
    • Up x 3
  6. Synister

I'd actually suggest certing into the Combat Medic class, while the face value of the certs may not seem like much, if you can grab a boost over the coming double XP weekend, you'll be grabbing a cert per revive, and Medics can definitely hold themselves in a straight-up firefight, some of the assault rifles they have access to are excellent, across nearly all ranges. And the revive grenades, good lord. That's a handful of certs right there. 4 handfuls if you max out grenade bandolier.
  7. OldMaster80

Erm... Light ASSAULT, heavy ASSAULT... they're classes made for fighting. Engineers are a support class which means that fighting is not their primary role.
    Btw you say the turret is boring, but hey, it's player-gunned! You need to use actively to kill some people and it's great! Turrets firing by themselves would be more boring and they wouldn't fit a game like this where time to kill is very fast. Guess why in PS1 we had sentry-turrets and everyone was asking for gunnable turrets :rolleyes:
  8. Mxiter

Infantries? AI turret, AI mines, carabines (wich are still decent)
    Vehicles? AT mines, C4, utility pouch, AV turret.

Engenner have penty of fun and/or lucrative tools.
    • Up x 1
  9. deggy

I'm rather fond of my Engineer. Lots of certs from repair and ammo, and I can drive vehicles.
  10. Funzo

These were fun times. Too bad the AV mines haven't worked right in while. And with everyone going flak armor instead of nanoweave, AP mines and UBGLs have lost their bite. The cap on ammo box experience is a nice kick in the teeth as well. Nothing left to do but to snipe with your AV mana turret and fix stuff if you want any kind of cert reward. This latest update is going to put a lot of engies on the shelf in favor of other classes.

Perhaps I'll just join everyone else as a light assault or SMG infiltrator.
    • Up x 2
  11. Trebb

They did fix mines this patch, at least the ones I ran over. I usually went engie 99% of the time, UBGL was fun while it lasted, but now it's been nerfed *and* bugs out this patch (sometimes fails to arm even at 50m+)

Since the flash became useless, then the harasser, I now usually run around in a skyguard lightning. This way I'm ready for air / tanks(AV turret sniping) and infantry.

Lately though I've been playing medic. I'm still not used to seeing dead people and actually reviving them. Oops! Still having fun though.
  12. Ryekir

I would love something like that, but I am skeptical that we will ever get anything like that (and if we do, it will be virtually worthless) because people already complain too much about things that they feel give others "free kills" with no effort (i.e. AT/AP mines).

I play 84% (42 days, 18 hours) Engineer , and I never feel like a repair slave nor do I spend the bulk of my time inside vehicles. I like how the carbines play, and I like the utility that the class gives me.
  13. Badname0192

Mana AI turret is great at showering infidels during a defense and even during a cap. The fact it provides some cover and can act as an obstacle while having a pretty good resistance makes it good for me.

Lazy machines like those you show, (aside from the one you should have mentioned TF2-Engineer class there is the only 'support/defense " class as fun as here on PS2, imagine, bullets and rockets..ooo!) are garbage. I'd much rather laugh while people think they're charging up to an unaware n00b, then turn in the radius provided and spray their face, than sit and collect kills from an automated machine.

No to your idea.
  14. Tenebrae Aeterna

The recon drone isn't automated, we have to fly it ourselves.
  15. Tonberry76

for me i love eng very much but its also the hardest class to play
    what i always do ore try is get the turrents repair and shoot tanks ore airplanes as fast as i can
    i keep doing that but you wil get hit alot by players that figure out what your doing

but with alot of eng running ad the base you have the upper hand if you can keep the turrents running
    i have save the base lot by shooting easy 7 tanks of the enemy
    til they figure it out and kill me alot but its fun i tell you

sadly to many pll play sniper and not so many suport classes atm
    if am in the field i help out the max suits as much as a i can

also set up my turrent and kill pll but you must find a good spot so the cant see you first
    sooner ore later the figure it out but til then find a good spot and kill as many as you can

also try to repair tanks ore airplanes

so for me is not a boring class atm have always something to do :)

sorry for my crappy english
  16. Gav7x

Actually the drone was cancelled
  17. Shadowhunter1

so you don't see how powerful this would be if 100 engineer's were in a base, with 100 of those turrets scanning, so 200 guns looking out, or leave them on the base and the engineers in teh tanks and planes, so no one waste time defending the base because of the turrets. yeah... that wouldn't make the game boring.... also, a few HE shells into a base with turrets would clear them Bio dome fights would be turret / max only aswell as heavy's with decimators only.
    • Up x 1
  18. OldMaster80

1) The done is not automated, leaves the Infitlrator completely without protection and has no weapon. If devs release it the way we all expect this is just going to be a useless toy.
    2) Engineers are not 1st line fighters. If you look for a class which is good at combat you should put your certs elsewhere. Engineers are a support class made for establishing defensive perimeters, repairing, supplying ammo, provide cover fire.

Btw Engineers are better than Infiltrators at combat, we're ok only because we take advantage of the cloaking device to do some flanking.
  19. Frosty The Pyro

"the game is boring, give me something that will play for me so i dont have to be involved at all"

And frankly always having unlimited ammo, and deployable cover (that happens to launch guided rockets sometimes), and mines of all sorts, can often be worth not having a jetpack compared to LA for strait combat.
  20. Azimaith

The most boring thing about engineers is the severely restricted deployables. Run and gun is all fun and good, but the real enjoyment many engineers get is through trying to set up a strong defense, to make a difference in an upcoming battle. This used to include minefields, sentry turrets, and sensors, and later added some manned turrets and road blocks in PS1. Now all we do is repair stuff and occasionally get cheap kills off mines. All semblance of setting up a defense has basically been lost. In PS1 you felt like you were shaping a base by your combat engineering. In PS2 combat engineering is just an alternative path to cheap kills.

The game is made more interesting by adding more things that engineers don't need to deal with individually, but must plan out in the defense.

Here are a bunch of ideas for the sake of variety.

1: Sensor Beacon: Four different types of sensors available for deployment. These sensors do nothing on their own (and do not mark people on the map) but provide targeting data for other engineer equipment. A stealth, short range sensor which is cloaked and can be attached to walls. It only scans a spherical vicinity and does not penetrate walls, functioning solely in los.

A sensor bar, which is obvious and can penetrate a few meters beyond a wall. Can be deployed inside or outside. Senses in a spherical area.

A Shotgun Sensor: This is a directional sensor dish which scans a long distance but only in a cone to its front.

Balloon Sensors: A floating deployable sensor which hangs in the air on a balloon near the flight ceiling. Detects in a conical area below it. (This means if your at the flight ceiling, you aren't going to be picked up.)

All sensors only sense movement unless a target has already been picked up. Sensors can only detect targets who are walking or running, or otherwise not moving while crouched.

2: Laser Sensors. Laser Sensors are turrets which lock onto individuals who trip the engineer sensor lattice. They project a laser beam onto the target (and are visible as a red, blue, or purple light at their muzzle) which marks the individual on the map along with their direction of travel. Deals no damage. Targets who are locked by ground Laser Sensors are targeted by automation pack Phalanx minigun turrets after a few seconds of lock. Breaking this lock with LOS or destroying the Laser Sensor breaks this lock.

3: Vehicle Laser Designators: Identical to Laser Sensors but lock onto ground vehicular targets. Automation pack Spear 120mm turrets automatically target vehicle Laser Sensor locked targets.

4: Aircraft Laser Designators: Identical to other Laser Sensors but automation pack Flak turrets lock onto them.

5: Lattice Link Air Sensors: Laser designates liberators and galaxies from the ground in the same fashion as other turrets while it has a lock. Laser designated targets show on the minimap and anti-aircraft lock on's can "beam ride" this lock allowing for extended targeting up to the range of the turret at 750m with an attached Amp Station or 600m without. This sensor renders at the same distance it targets at. Requires connection to an aerial sensor grid.

6: Microwave Sentry: A microwave sentry turret which sterilizes and disrupts nano-regeneration. In short, targets who die under the effects of a microwave sentry can not be revived. Requires connection to the sensor grid.

7: Laser Blinder: A sentry turret which locks on with a blinding strobe laser. Has a short traverse and is designed to protect areas of high worth, such as the doors of spawn rooms. Affects all targets, but prioritizes vehicles within short range or aircraft if none are in short range. Prioritizes infantry last. Requires tripping of the sensor grid.

8: Proximity Alarm: A deployable sensor which does not provide map feed back of targets, but creates a loud noise when tripped. Does not require attachment to the sensor grid. When tripped the alarm will sound and indicate its position, but not the enemy who tripped it.

9: EMP Mine: This mine triggers on vehicles in a circular EM pulse. It knocks out steering and firing for 2-3 seconds causing the vehicle to careen in the direction of its travel.

10: Spider Mine: This mine does not explode when tripped, but attaches itself to the vehicle secretly. Spider mines provide sensor input to the rest of the lattice and improve missile tracking against them.

11: Antipersonnel Mines: These mines are not tripped by vehicles and are not damaged by splash damage. They are detonated by infantry or EMP grenades or launchers. Each Antipersonnel mine deals significantly less damage than currently (maybe 25-40%?) are only detonated by running or waking targets. Targets moving while crouched do not detonate these mines. A player can deploy 16-24. (Say 8 per level in AP mine.

12: Anti-vehicle mines: These mines are not tripped by infantry and are not damaged by splash damage. They are have adaptive camouflage allowing them to blend in with ground but must be deployed individually. They show in Thermal vision. Each mine deals significantly less damage than currently, say 7-8 mines to destroy an MBT. They are for killing those who plow through them willy nilly. Can deploy 16-20 perhaps. Detonated by C4. Only triggered by movement, though they do detonate when in proximity.

13: Automation Pack: Automation packs can be used on turrets to allow them to become automated when tripped by a laser sensor picking up a specific target. Without an automation pack plus laser sensor, the turrets will not automate. Automation packs reduce the rate of fire of turrets but retain much of their accuracy. There is a loud beep to indicate they have picked up a target. Maybe up to 3 automation packs in an engineer at max level.

14: Force wall: A deployable wall designed to provide cover in the frontal arc for allies. These walls or only vulnerable to destruction by targets striking at the flanks of the force wall, where the generators are.

15: EMP Grenade launcher. Launches EMP grenades from underbarrel GL of the factional carbine.

16: Shield Breacher: A deployable shield breaching tunnel which allows the penetration of base and vehicle shields when deployed by an engineer. Only one per engineer, multiple engineers are needed to make a passage large enough for vehicles. The shield still exists, the breacher just puts a tunnel through it.

17: Turret Upgrade Pack: Allows an engineer to upgrade a base turret with a shield and enhanced cooling. Upgrade lasts until the engineer leaves the continent or goes beyond their maximum number of upgrade packs. Upgraded turrets can still be hacked.

18: TRAP: As per PS1. A deployable road block that vehicles can not pass through and must destroy. Extra collision damage as per PS1 optional.

19: Frag Turret: Automated short range turret which fires explosive shotgun pellets. Now hear me out on this for people who think this is just an automated exp farm. this Frag turret replaces the current bouncing betty/claymore/prox mine set up with a very short (activation range is same as prox mine detonation range) ranged shotgun turret used for close defense. It can be clamped to most surfaces and vehicles and deals explosive damage, but unlike said mines, will not kill you instantly. Because it has a similar triggering range to said mines and trades instant death for a more reasonable area denial role, it is much better for gameplay than the current boom you're dead style of mine. Destroyed by shooting, grenades, or EMP as normal.

20: Shield Grenade: Produces a short lived (8-10 second) shield you can shoot out of but not be shot from within. Short ranged throw and travels up jump tubes. Primary purpose is to provide a means of breaking biopad farm fests or door farm fests.