Game freezes solid, have to quit process from task manager

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Joe-H2O, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Joe-H2O

In the past week or so I've started to see a new freezing issue. You can be fine one second, then all of a sudden the graphics will freeze solid. If you are in a vehicle (as a passenger, say), then you can hear it drive along as normal with the engine noises changing etc so it's clearly still sending and receiving some game data.

Unlike the graphics flashing bug (which is awful, and affects me every so often since I got the game), this never fixes itself. I have to use task manager to kill the planetside process. You can't alt+tab out of the game once it has frozen.

System specs:

iMac 27" with 3.2GHz i5 3470
    16 GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 680MX 2GB using 9.18.13.1070 drivers (signed on 3/12/12)
    Windows 7 64 bit

The game has been playing beautifully, even at native resolution (2560x1440) up until recently when it started doing this freezing thing. I can't point to a single thing that causes it, other than "combat" since I'm never doing the same exact thing when it happens.
  2. TSR-SeanF Customer Service

Unfortunately PlanetSide 2 is not designed to run on Mac hardware so even when using Windows to run the game on your iMac you may very well encounter quite a few interesting problems when trying to do so. This isn't to say that the game will not work necessarily, but because these issues can arise and be very difficult to locate Sony Online Entertainment does not officially support the use of PlanetSide 2 on any Macintosh systems at this time. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  3. sagolsun

It doesn't change the fact that the crashing is caused by a bug, albeit one that may manifest itself more often on mac configurations.

You may put together a bunch of off-the-shelf components, slap an apple sticker on it and pretend it's a different system but at the end of the day, unless you can pinpoint the issue to be a faulty proprietary driver, it's still a bug on your side and I'd rather hear you say it's a "low priority" than "not our problem" thing.
  4. bishopau

Try turning the number of sounds down. I have mine at 48 at the moment and have had it as low as 30.

PS - CSR - I run W7 (64) on a Intel and have had this lock up feature of your game. I know you must say blah, blah Apple, blah, blah but its a bug.
  5. Assassin0795

Could you install Ubuntu 12.04 and run WINE to play PS2? That may work; my experience with Macs is very limited in terms of troubleshooting, so I cannot promise anything.

On a side note, SeanF is a CSR, not a developer. Yelling at them about the problem is like shooting the messenger...
  6. RedArmy

upon inspection of every card within that matrix, my GT610 still exedes the cards listed in yellow, and some in green for all specifications, DDR3, clock speed 800+ and even on the nvidia website comparing example the GT610 vs the GT440, mine wins on ALL aspects, as it also met, and beat many other cards on the lists. so how is downgrading to a lower quality card, both proccessing and chipset wise not meeting min requirements..... Comparison used google reviews, and specs from ebay.
    and how come it only started this week, and worked absolutly perfect before? even in both beta, and heavy fire/tank colums up untill the last hotfix(prior to 01/22 hotfix)
    something doesnt make sence in the logic at which cards are rated for requirments. 1gb ddr3 clocked at the same speeds using the same type of ram, the same specifications - doesnt make sence.
    something clearly happened durring that period to make it less effective on PS2. the fualt is not w/ my card and therefore must be with your software as a change made recently. i want this issue resolved or rolled back to where it was, or i'd like to speak w/ a supervisor
  7. BigWreck

I had the same issue twice on Monday. And I'm not on a Mac (see specs in sig).

After I downloaded the 1/21 patch, I had oc'd my video card using Afterburner. So I removed the oc, and haven't had the issue since, but I haven't played much.

Both times I crashed,

I was flying my Scythe.
    I had been on for about 20 mins.
    I could still hear all of my squad mates talking in game chat.
    I could still hear game sounds, but they appeared to be on about a 10 second loop.

Just thought it might be helpful info.
  8. Joe-H2O

Wow. How terribly... odd.

When this machine is running Windows it is no different to a PC. This is not 1995 any more - Intel Macs are practically hardware identical to a regular PC. The logo on the box might be different, but that's hardly going to cause any crashing now, is it? I do not believe this bug is isolated to Mac hardware (not that there's any difference when running Windows).

I have sunk at least 5000 station cash into this game because I enjoy it (bought a shotgun, MAX weapons, aircraft weapons, XP booster etc) and your response doesn't inspire me with confidence. I assume you actually want people to play and ultimately keep paying?

I can't see how the fact that I'm running on Windows but on Mac hardware makes me somehow a second class citizen not worthy of support. I know this is not your policy, but one from higher up, but I would like you to pass on my displeasure "up the chain" so to speak. I am not buying any more station cash.

Hopefully a first class citizen running windows on a "normal" PC will also have the bug so you can add it to the bugtracker so the devs can start working on it.
    • Up x 1
  9. TomaHawk

I am running a PC and since the prior 2 patches or so, I've been freezing fairly routinely. They borked something, no doubt about it, and I'd like it fixed NOW.

As for compensation, I'd like a triple or quadruple SC day. NOW.
    • Up x 1
  10. Cymoril

I have had the lock ups from the very beginning. Most of the time its when Im about to engage a large force with a large force or we have a minimal force and get completely overrun- at that time the frames drop, and the system locks.
  11. Whatsit

This has absolutely nothing to do with Mac hardware, which as has been pointed out, is effectively no different from Windows hardware. The game is running in Windows, with Windows drivers, and if it is crashing (which I assure you it is) then the problem is not due to it running on a Mac. Particularly since you have several other people in this thread alone who are running Windows PCs and experiencing the exact same problem.

Count me in with those who hope to see a fix for this soon, and also a change to what is apparently SOE policy that they won't address any technical problems experienced by Mac users regardless of whether the problem has anything to do with Mac hardware or not.
  12. JojoTheSlayer

I have gotten this a few times myself now after the new hotfix.
    I am on a PC.
    • Up x 1
  13. sagolsun

Ditto.

I get the feeling the issue isn't related to macs at all.
  14. trippletea

Same here, i've gotten a few crashes. Just started happening tonite to. I would get these insane freezes, sometimes the game would recover after a minute or so. But others I would have to ctrl alt del out of it and just log back in. I did get a new router recently. But i've updated all the firmware on that. and gotten the latest Nvidia driver update or so. And i've not had this crash problem till very recently. I have had it before when I would log in and immediately get just bombareded with lag. But I think that was due to some hacker or something such as that. Anyways, i've tried to be as tolerant as I can as SOE tried to iron out these bugs. But I can't wait for that huge optimization patch.
  15. LibertyRevolution

This is the only crash I get. It seems to happen at random to me. It can be 9 hours into a play session or 30mins.. it comes with no warning, all of a sudden my video is frozen, but i can still hear all the sounds, including the voice chat, but I cannot chat back to my team, and the only way to fix it is to end task in the task manager.

AMD x6 1090t @ 3.6Ghz, GTX570, 8GB DDR3, win 7 64-bit.
  16. HerbertKnivez

Same here, I do get the occasional mid game crash, but the worst is when I try to exit, it just stays open the background, I have to end it manually.
  17. Joe-H2O

Since this is very, very, very obviously not a "Mac hardware" problem, can we get some confirmation that you have actually passed this big to the developers, please?