Game crush, BSOD, memory leak

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Polocy, Apr 18, 2023.

1. Polocy

Good afternoon.
    I have a problem with the game on PC.
    Crux of the problem.

After a short time in the game, the game has microfreezes and crashes to the desktop, then there are several options:
    1) computer restarts with a blue screen (most common).
    2) nothing happens.
    3) the browser is loading, it goes to the PS2 website and shows the G12 error.
    4) some downloaded applications start writing errors about lack of memory.

Error situations.
    There is no direct pattern, but most often this happens if I am building a base or I am on the territory of an base during a battle (10-20min and restart PC). If I'm not approaching the bases, I can play several maps, but it's hard to get around.

What I watch before the game closes, it is observed that DDR is absolutely consumed by PS2 at 0 mb, as well as virtual memory (at this time, microfreezes are observed in the game).

I can assume that the problem started when I studied the construction drawings, before that I had not observed this problem. This is a subjective opinion, I could be wrong.

This doesn't happen with any game I own, and never has.

PC configuration
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
    MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk
    2 x G Skill RipjawsV F4-3600C16-16GVKC 32GB
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti (8 GB)

Thanks
    • Up x 2
  2. Genon

On my end, I get a similar problem, usually after multiple hours of play. Just before the crash is about to occur, my entire computer freezes, with one exception, usually Task Manager, and I can still ALT+TAB fast enough to manually force-close the game as a result. This managed to avert a BSOD only once, and the few times I managed to see its entry in Task Manager, I noticed it was using around 28 GB of memory or so (out of roughly 32GB), even though I have a page file. The BSOD stop code is always KERNEL_HEAP_MEMORY_CORRUPTION.

The fact that the BSOD stop code has the word "kernel" in it is a clue IMO: I have a feeling it has something to do with Battleye because Battleye (and most modern anti-cheat software) infamously runs in kernel mode, but I'm far from an expert and can't be sure.

For what it's worth, my system specs are:
    Intel i5-9600K (overclocked to 4.8 GHz)
    Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X-CF Motherboard (Rev. 1.0)
    NVIDIA RTX 2070 8GB (the original card not the Super, mine is from EVGA for what it's worth)
    2 x 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 RAM at 2133 MhZ (I can't find the exact model number right now)

From what I understand, Microsoft also pushed a security update last week that doesn't play nice with anti-cheat software in general, including Battleye, but I really have no way of knowing if these particular bugs are connected, since it appears to be a classic "memory leak uses up all the RAM and then tries to allocate memory it doesn't have access to after using up everything else, leading to a BSOD" situation.

To be honest, we really need the staff on this one.
    • Up x 1
  3. Mithril Community Manager

What graphic settings do you both have in the game menu?

If possible see if running the game visuals down a notch, for example: from High to Medium and report back if you continue to get crashes.
  4. Polocy

HI Mithril,

After your post, I reset the video card settings, changed the settings for a couple of weeks and everything worked stably even at ultra settings, but as soon as I turned on DLSS, after 20 minutes I had 4GB of RAM free from 32GB, I think the problem is with this option, turned it off and that's it works stably.
  5. JibbaJabba

If I had kung-fu and code symbols ( :p ) I would do one or more of...

Run for duration of a play session..
    logman create counter Planetside2Collector -f bin -o C:\PerfLogs\Planetside2Collector.blg -s 1 -c "\Memory\*" "\Process(Planetside2*)\*" "\Process(BEService*)\*"

Run for 3-5 minutes after the play session has gotten bad...
    wpr -start GeneralProfile -start CPU -start GPU -start Heap -filemode && timeout -1 && wpr -stop Planetside2.etl
    Open in WPA.

Take this at the end...
    procdump -ma PlanetSide2.exe
    ...Then a ~*k command in WinDbgX to see if we're leaking threads and/or what they're up to. Cross ref with the stacks found in the WPR.
    • Up x 1
  6. VV4LL3

Similar.

Loaded the game today with no changes to system or settings -- getting 5 fps.
    Flipped game setting to potato -- maybe 15fps?

After loading the task manager -- the GPU is tapped 100%. Memory 40%. CPU 15%.

Something is going on with the API.

AMD Ryzen 9 6900HX with Radeon Graphics 3.30 GHz
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti
    RAM: 32.0 GB (31.3 GB usable)
    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Game settings: Lowest you can get besides resolution. @ 4k
  7. Mithril Community Manager

Which DLSS setting are you using?
  8. VV4LL3

DLSS disabled completely, game settings on LOWEST.

MAX FPS 30 - stand still.

ACTION FPS 15 - Conflict.

Tier III tech support would be useful in this situation.
  9. Polocy

Balanced option
    About sharpness not sure, something near 60-85
  10. VV4LL3

Game settings set to lowest -- getting massive lag spikes. FPS drops from 150+ to 15 FPS.
  11. Polocy

[IMG]
    • Up x 1
  12. Xipoid1

I have the same issue of crash.

Game freezes for 10 seconds and computer restarts (sometimes blue screen).

It seems to happen only when I'm working with modules.
    After a few modules (4 or 5) the crash happens and normally at the moment of purchanse of the module.

This was also happening on PTS before.
    • Up x 1
  13. VV4LL3

There was content downloaded by the launcher at 4PM PST -- that increased some performance, but still getting crazy performance hiccups on occasion.
  14. Xipoid1

The update did help a lot. Still a crash happens now and then. But much less frequent and now not only related to module purchase (for me at least) but still related to building-menu-use activities.
    • Up x 1
  15. Xipoid1

Problem is still not fixed though. Have regular crashes / blue screens like every 15-30 minutes. On various topics also non-building related (e.g. someone shooting me or explosion nearby) but still seem to happen much more frequently when working or have been working with building stuctures and modules. If not working with building structures at all, crashed don't happen that often.
    • Up x 1
  16. Polocy

Just disable the "Nvidia DLSS" option in video settings, it should help, I didn't have any blue screen after that.
    • Up x 1
  17. CalvaryCallsMe

For all the nothing they will do about it. Yes there is a memory leak problem. usually when im in the menus or building. Clocked the game today at about 25GB of RAM. which is absurd.