Game alt-tabbing to desktop every 10 mins or so

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by joeski, Nov 24, 2014.

1. joeski

As the title says, my game is alt-tabbing to desktop every so often.
    It's majorly annoying and always seems to happen at the worst times.
    When it happens no other window has focus so it's proving very difficult to pin it down.
    This has happened with or without other programs (i.e. Teamspeak, stat tracker) running.
    I am hoping someone may have an idea what could cause this. I noticed it once while playing a different full screen game so I doubt that PS2 is the culprit.
    I ran a virus check, a Malware Bytes scan and a HijackThis scan but all seems clean.
  2. Badname406

so youre upset cuz it alt tab but it keeps running on the background?
    mine freezes for a sec and then it closes down, which one is worse?
  3. joeski

How very selfish of me to ask opinions on my problem when you also have a problem...
    • Up x 1
  4. PWGuy93

Really does sound like your machine is infected. You mention teamspeak, that means someone knows your IP address and could remote your machine to mess with you.
    I had one of these many years ago, it was a guild officer that had admin permissions to the guild website and ventrilo. The guy put a widget on the guild site which downloaded remote control on players computers, he used ventrilo to see players current IP addresses and messed with their play during encounters to force them out of group and to get himself into them to get loot.
    Thus today, I never use teamspeak or ventrilo or sign up on any guild web.
  5. PoxLUFC

I had this when I didn't register windows 7
  6. Ninave

It's not a Windows Update notification that's pulling the focus for itself? That 10mins could sound like that "Restart please, for updates" nagging time interval. Or do you have any other auto-updater running that could claim the focus for its notification, that could be left undrawn to your screen as the game has the GPU focus at the moment it starts to alt-tab. Try closing all those from the background the next time you play and see if this is it.
  7. joeski

I'm pretty sure I narrowed it down to an erronous process from AVG.
    AVG-Secure-Search-Update_0814tb.exe always has 2 instances running, if my game starts alt-tabbing on its own, I end both of the AVG update things and the alt-tabbing stops ;)
  8. sjtw_w_stot

Get rid of AVG. All free antivir are more then useless, as goes for Norton and McAfee. All said programs operate more as a trojan than a protection program. Yes something is popping up saying HEY LOOK AT ME! I WANT YOUR MONEY FOR ONE REASON OR ANOTHER!! Check your start up apps and uninstall AVG. Grab ESET/NOD32. You can find user license keys online if you are so inclined to use it free after the trial.

If unsure how to use msconfig to check startups, download CCleaner. The tools in there will help.
  9. BlackDove