Galaxy Rammers

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by MrMackey, Jul 1, 2014.

1. MrMackey

its become a problem when just about ever galaxy i attack ends up trying to ram me. even more anoying when they are successful and you cant help but notice they fly away without a scratch. some libs even try to do this now

im sure im not the only one who see the problem with this. was ESF ram damage really so bad?

logically when 2 aircraft collide.. reguardless of size. they should both die.
    ramming should not come without consequence.

if ppl were finding it easier to kill a lib or gal by ramming it. mabe the ESF needs bigger guns.. or Gals and Libs less HP. but the ram damage needs to be put back.

PS. arnt the Gals ment to take damage when they are doing the ramming? if so its not working
  2. Edenwolf

Two gals colliding equals death for both, two libs colliding equals death to both, everything seems to be in place here. IF your an ESF and letting gals ram you, I can't say I feel sorry for you.
    • Up x 33
  3. Scr1nRusher

you know....... you can dodge it... and out maneuver it.

is forumside really getting this bad?
    • Up x 24
  4. MrMackey

i can tell by your jab at me that you've missed the point entirely. this isnt about skill. this comes strait down to the fact that Galaxys can ram ESFs without taking any damage.

not that "you shouldnt be rammed if your a pro like me" elitest prik
  5. Angry Scientist

While Forumside has a fondness for using the term 'l2p' far more often then is actually applicable, in this case it does.

Galaxies are slow, loud, and lumbering. An ESF is agile. One ramming you means you simply did not move out of the way.

You need to realize that client side hit detection can be your doom, too. Imagine a bubble around enemy galaxies and liberators. Never try to trade paint with them. You will die. Give a wide berth and you can peck the galaxy down to death.

Plus Skywhale is arguably one of the most entertaining twist of mechanics in the game. If you get it nerfed, I will find you.
    • Up x 14
  6. EGuardian1

ESFs getting rammed by Galaxies/Liberators deserve it. why are you so close?

That's like saying a Vanguard should get killed by a Flash ramming it.

When I run over an ESF in my Galaxy i sometimes yell "SCIENCE *****!"
    • Up x 5
  7. Alarox

Galaxy ramming is an amazing aspect to this game that I would hate to see removed.
    • Up x 12
  8. Scr1nRusher

If forumside causes it to get nerfed........(like what they are doing with rockets and tanks.......)
  9. MrMackey

basically admitting the problem.

and saying you've never been rammed by a gal either means you havent played that long. or you dont fly that much. eventually it happens to everyone mr professional.

and if the damage taken from an ESF isn't enough to kill a Galaxy. why was it taken away in the first place.

instead of just saying im a noob (without knowing) how about asking why the ram damage was taken from the ESFs in the first place. however bad you think it is to be rammed by a galaxy, it doesnt change the fact that it happens and Gals lose nothing for doing it.
  10. MrMackey

not saying get rid of galaxy ramming. im saying why dont they take damage for doing it. why did the ESF ram damage get removed in the first place. and what is going to be done about libs and gals not fearing a collision with ESFs.
  11. Edenwolf

I've been rammed by a gal in a ESF, by no means do I think I should have survived it.

Picture a flash ramming a tank, should the flash kill it too?

Will your ESF causing 15% damage to the Gal stop you from raging when it happens? I don't think it will.
    • Up x 4
  12. Angry Scientist

I never said I never got rammed by one. I've eaten **** multiple times and splatted against a galaxy I thought I was mlgpro enough to fly around.

What I'm saying is that the galaxy has definite downsides. It is slow. It is big. It's guns are not powerful unless used in concert or in the proper situation. An ESF versus a single galaxy who has no gunners? Easy kill, unless they fly into territory you can't follow.

The fact remains that galaxies do lose out on something trying to ram. Do you know how badly it goes if the pilot dodges and turns their guns on you? You're going to die.

Oh, and galaxies do take damage from ramming. It just varies because the mechanics are weird. And let's be honest, a flimsy ESF...it'd be like a military plane hitting an ultralight. Might scratch the paint, but pfft.
    • Up x 2
  13. MrMackey

yes. at least ill know he had to check to see if he had the HP left to ram an ESF.

and i never said ESFs should survive ramming or being rammed.
  14. doombro

Why should a bug on my windshield blow me up? :rolleyes:
    • Up x 10
  15. EGuardian1

It all depends on how the ram happens. I've had a Scythe blow up my Galaxy even though i was at like 90% health in a Ram. I think he should have just gone splat and sure, I could take damage, but a small lightly armoured ESF vs a heavily armoured and much heavier galaxy?

Flash wreckage can already kill a tank on occasion, but it's the exception, not the rule.
    BTW, ESFs ramming a Galaxy DOES do damage, just not a huge amount. Probably because ramming isn't an armour piercing weapon.
    • Up x 1
  16. MrMackey

your analogy doesnt work. ultralight hitting a c-130. the c-130 is still going to lose a wing and crash. aircraft are fragile.. all of them.. in RL anyway..

and the mechanics on this are weird.. which is why i ask why was the ESF ram damage taken away in the first place. anyone know? ANYONE!!!

if ESFs ramming things were a problem why is the problem of ESFs being rammed with zero hesitation not just as much of a problem? point being. sure ramming is a tactic. a tactic that should come with some consequence. and ramming being a tactic. why was that tactic taken from ESFs.
  17. MrMackey

not saying it should blow you up.. for the 100th time... the Galaxy should at least take some damage 100% of the time. not just when the game feels like it.
  18. doombro

o_O
    • Up x 8
  19. Saber15

THE SKYWHALE HUNGERS

FOR MORE
    • Up x 4
  20. CDN_Wolvie

You're twisting that poster's posters words.

Besides, Gals do take damage for ramming.

You're basing this "no damage" off of your death screen probably eh?

Well, here is the part you probably missed then due to the silly way this game does hit detection, those death screens often do not paint an accurate picture because how healthy your killer is when they die lags behind what they are seeing on their client.

I fly Galaxy a lot, at least until I finally got completely fed up with play SlideShow2 (see: FPS Drop aka Hitching) around the bigger facilities and fights, I've flown several different high cert load outs regularily even before my team mates could spawn on me. And every time I have rammed, there is only a specific set of circumstances that allows me to avoid taking damage in a ram.

If I am flying, if anything rams on the top side of the Galaxy (the side currently facing up if I happen to be upside down at the time), I can take damage, sometimes enough to kill because the debri of whatever hit my Galaxy gets involved.

If I am the one doing the ramming, which rarely happens because most pilots see me coming and have thrusters/boosters/nitro to accelerate to their higher max speed quicker than the Galaxy, it can't be with the main belly of the Galaxy, either nose or fuselage or tail, if I don't want to take damage because apparently those count like landing too hard but rather, I have to use the outer wings and swing it into my intended ramming target to take no damage.

I used to know another Galaxy pilot that was so good at finding ways of sneaking up on LOL podders and hovering Liberators then smacking others with their wings, we would call him in like an air strike as infantry. But that was over a year ago, things have changed and due to the way AA works making pilots fly higher, new certs for radars on Fighters and generally pilots just being better having played the game since launch and then some. I was not as good as that pilot, never was probably due to hardware specs, and I need at least a gunner crew of two other players who know what they are doing to be effective at even just chasing off other air targets, let alone killing them.

But the ramming taking place near to the ground highlights another bit of evidence that is BS that Gals take no damage, the spins and flips being involved with ramming near the terrain or buildings can mean A LOT of damage for the Gal, either high damage to death from a crash or simply being an easier target for anything shooting at the Galaxy.

Maybe you'll rethink your angry impulses to spout nonsense on the forums when you know so very little about your topic from both sides of the equation, but given what you've called others for replying I don't hold out a lot of hope.
    • Up x 2