[Suggestion] G2A variable lock-on time

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by adamts01, Aug 19, 2017.

1. adamts01

My problem with G2A locks is that they're inadequate for killing (even hitting) A2G ESF but they're a cancerous plague for ESF flying by that wouldn't be attacking the enemy heavy even if he could render him. So here's a suggestion. Let the time to lock be a variable based on distance. If an ESF is within 50m let the lock be .25 seconds, .5 seconds if the ESF is 50-75, then let it increase exponentially out to 10 seconds at 800m. This lets G2A locks still help a friendly ESF at the ceiling without stealing the show, and lets that same launcher be an actual threat to G2A farmers who would otherwise just time their exposure to under 3 seconds. This would also be a buff to ESF running flares instead of Fire Suppression, as low level missiles would be incredibly deadly. This isn't an ideal solution, I'd rather have better missile mechanics, but this is Daybreak level programming.
  2. DarkStarII

It already does.
    • Up x 2
  3. adamts01

Not by range, just by the target's stealth level. Can you link any different information? Like anything matters anyway.
  4. DarkStarII

You could always test it yourself.
  5. Insignus

Can confirm, lock time is influenced by target distance.
    • Up x 2
  6. Kristan

It works exactly by range. Stealth only adds one extra second.
    • Up x 2
  7. adamts01

Well cool, I learned something new. Those numbers need to be completely reworked. If G2A launchers are supposed to be a defensive weapon, they're failing miserably. Let them actually fill that role and less influence air battles. That seems to be the general trend the devs are going in, limiting air's influence on infantry battles, so how about limiting infantry's influence on air battles?
  8. Eternaloptimist

An enemy is an enemy, whether he is attacking your ally on the ground or in the air..............or even just popping to the shops to buy some extra nanites for tea.
  9. adamts01

I get that, and I'm not proposing ground should stay out of the air game just as air shouldn't stay out of the ground game. But air is in a ****** place, it's easily the most frustrating and least inviting aspect of the game, and lock-ons are easily the most frustrating thing in the air, even more so than the crappy flight controls, gank squads and sky knights. This is a solution that would breed a healthier air vs air game without ******* over infantry's ability to defend themselves from A2G farmers. And keep in mind this issue is compounded by terrible level design and mechanics. As was pointed out, you can get locked on while at the ceiling around half of Indar. This game is all about conflict, and often there's only a single fight going on for your faction. If that single fight is over southern Indar then your only options are to jump noobs or **** all over a 1-12 fight. Either that or make low passes and farm infantry, which everyone loves so much, in which case this would be a serious buff to lock-ons and a blessing for infantry.