[Suggestion] Full HUD Customization

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Celtin, Aug 15, 2014.

1. Celtin

The idea here is that each play would be able to change every single aspect of the HUD without having to turn off the entire HUD which also cancels out the sniper scope and vehicle aimers (although it offers a 30 fps jump, #needoptimization). With that said here is a list of every individual item that should be changeable on its own.

HUD CHANGES
    • Hit marker
    • crosshair
    • minimap
    • ammo counter
    • revive counter
    • ribbon pop-up
    • points pop up
    • shield and health
    • squad names
    • squad list
    • vehicle health picture
    • special ability counter
    • current base status indicator
    • grenade counter
    • friendly fire hit marker
    • compass
    • outlying helmet design
    • notification text at center screen
    • XP bonus indicator
    • Certs indicator
    • population pic chart
    • Nanite amount
    • Markers on screen while off map
    • ally health
    • repair counter
    • tic marks above spotted enemy and friendly
    The idea with all of this is that you can only draw what you want of the HUD which will slightly decrease the impact of the terribly optimized HUD and allow players to have their own feel during game play.
    • Up x 1
  2. Nexus545

Considering the HUD was actually given a lot of attention by the devs when they did OMFG. I doubt they would ever bring out custom HUD because of performance reasons. They want everyone to see what everyone sees I think.
  3. Octiceps

The devs optimized the HUD?! That's news to me.

29 FPS on:

[IMG]

53 FPS off:

[IMG]
    • Up x 1
  4. Nexus545

It's all to do with them changing multiple entities on the HUD into one. The health and shields used to be indicated by little bricks, now they are one bar that changes. I think the only way they could optimise the HUD now would be on the coders side of things.
  5. Octiceps

Well, consolidating HUD textures did squat as far as I'm concerned. And thinking back to my pre-O:MFG performance, if anything, they made it worse. I quit the game for 2 months after PU01 because the "optimization" they did made my game unplayable. Freezing, rubber banding, and dropping frames left and right. I can replicate the same general behavior now if I turn HUD back on (I've been playing with it off for months), which makes me think their UI pass was what screwed the game up for me.
  6. Nexus545

Well after testing it out in game turning HUD on or off makes no difference to my fps. I play on low/medium settings. Maybe the HUD somehow interacts with higher settings to lower fps?
  7. Octiceps

Yes it does drop FPS and cause hitching a lot more at High and Ultra.
  8. Celtin

From what I know of the HUD interacts the same with all graphical levels and disabling as much of it as you can add 20-40 fps but makes it hard to know whats happening outside of direct combat(due to lack of minimap and other elements). As Octiceps said it does cause hitching to have the HUD on and especially for SLI/Crossfire setups but I didn't get any more hitching on high as I did on low.
  9. Octiceps

Strange, I get almost no HUD-induced hitching (but still FPS loss) at Medium and below. The hitching at High and Ultra is unbearable.

Forget all that other crap; all I need is a crosshair and I'm golden. I suggest using PlayClaw for the overlay. The free version will suffice. It's a damn nice recording software as well and won't get you banned:

This kind of piss poor HUD performance is unacceptable.
  10. Thardus

I just want to change the colour of my Scythe HUD to something actually visible.