Friendly Fire Nerf is a Disaster

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Werkitten, Jan 15, 2022.

1. Werkitten

I don't have decent words to describe my impressions of the news that they want to reduce the damage of friendly fire. As for obscene words, there are not enough of them in English, Russian and Chinese to describe impressions.
    It's worse than when the Esamir continent was changed. This is worse than when the stationary guns were weakened. This is simply the worst change in the history of the game.
    Friendly fire was an important part of the gameplay, it forced players to at least sometimes look where they were shooting. And the ability to quickly determine who is in front of you, an enemy or an ally, was an important skill.
    What's next? In the next update, will the projectiles start flying through the allies, as in overwatch?

Seriously, this is the first time in all the time of the game when I seriously thought about quitting it forever.

The players just wanted a new continent. Was it really so difficult to make ONLY a new continent? Why was it necessary to change something that already worked perfectly?
    • Up x 6
  2. Demigan

Why would they do that?

I can see it have a merit when it protects allied vehicles. I dont think I've ever seen someone accidentally blow up an allied vehicle with C4 or mines. But for everything else? I would rather increase friendly fire damage than decrease it. Its pretty much the only reason many players still interact with one another outside of the squad/platoon design. A design which incidentally encourages players to only interact with people inside the squad/platoon and be hostile to allies not in your squad/platoon.
    • Up x 1
  3. VeryCoolMiller

This is the only game with friendly fire and should stay as it is. Nerf friendly fire would increase even more the spam in big figths and reduce the opportunity to educate with a couple of c4 a friendly hesh tank spamming too much on friendly units.
    • Up x 5
  4. Liewec123

I'm completely opposite.
    A new continent designed by Wrel is an absolute nightmare, and the last thing I'd want in this game.
    And a massive undertaking / huge waste of resources.
    Look how he massacred esamir, and now we have a whole map designed by the dude.
    But hey, it's pretty! Who cares if it is an absolute mess.

Honestly i'd prefer we just get bug fixes and balance patches, or new weapons vehicles.
    (preferably done by someone other than wrel, yes, I have zero faith in this guy...)

As for friendly fire I think it's good that it is going to half,
    I'm so sick of idiot allies throwing nades into corridors when I'm trying to push.
    It will also mean less children having a tantrum and deliberately TKing when they get accidentally killed.
    I'm curious to see if it will have any effect on roadkills too,
    because currently roadkills seem to massively favour killing allies instead of enemies.
    • Up x 3
  5. VeryCoolMiller

If you want reduce the FF the solution is increase weapon lock, not halving the friendly fire damage... this way ppl will do even more friendly fire...
  6. Werkitten

The fact is that if you don't like the new continent, you can ignore this part of the game and play only on the old continents.
    Unlike changing one of the basic mechanics of the game, which concerns everyone.

As for the episodes when you are killed by allies, of course you are angry when this happens, but at the same time it is one of the factors that enhances the feeling of the game. You begin to take this factor into account and try to position yourself in such a way as to reduce the risk of a situation when an ally suddenly jumps right under your bullets, or vice versa, you find yourself under fire.

Of course, this is by no means a realistic game, but still some element of realism should be present. And bullets do not distinguish between their own and others, the one who shoots does it.
    • Up x 3
  7. JustGotSuspended

Yeah I gotta agree these friendly fire changes are silly, though foreseeable from the april fools update. I'd rework the grief points system so it's understandable and weapons lock occurs to people who intentionally mass tk instead of the dude who fights back or accidentally damages allies while using explosives or whatever.
  8. UberNoob1337101

I don't want less FF damage, I want smarter teammates.

We'll still be EMPd and flashed by people who don't care about FF
    Players who jump between you and the enemy mid-firefight will still cause you to die along with them
    The TKing ***** will barely get affected.

The only thing this change did, is probably make some cancer strats viable.

But it wouldn't be a PS2 update if some stuff nobody asked for gets added.

That said, the 50% faster grief point decay rate seems interesting, but it will probably need a good rework to punish intentional TKs and not annoy legit players.

I don't mind if they reduce FF on vehicles by something like 20% so 4th faction sunderer TKing is harder or just penalizing recently logged in players, but this is too much.
    • Up x 2
  9. Liewec123

i don't think there will be any more or any less friendly fire, it will just be less annoying now.
    i'll be able to push through doorways without losing half health from the gauss saws shot into my back!

but i also agree that with this we should also increase the weapon lock instead of decrease it.
    reducing friendly fire damage is good for me, the person usually getting shot,
    but we should still make friendly fire punishing.

i think it should change to be based on damage done, instead of the current 'damage ticks' done.
    2000 damage within 3 mins should be a weapon lock for 1 min.
    thats 2 kills, or 10 gauss saw shots.
    it would also prevent 4th faction scrubs from TKing MBTs and sunderers on purpose.
  10. Twin Suns

So much for the skill check. It’s always the first thing to go when games start catering to the bubble gum shooter crowds. Gotta replace the dwindling population somehow…. LMFAO. “Let’s duumb the game down and make it easy”. Even though RPG waste time and resources on other junk. *cough* PS/Arena, butchered Esamir etc,etc. Never attempting to FIX and clear up the &@$?ng bugs/glitches in their game.

I’m coming to the conclusion that RPG is a sub par studio with bandanna pirates at the helm. I just can’t take them serious anymore.

o7
    • Up x 1
  11. Scroffel5

FF didn't need a nerf. Its war. Don't shoot or blow up your team, and if you are on the receiving end, know your team is stupid. Now that it is changed, it makes disadvantaged choke points easier to take because you do half the damage to your own team.
    • Up x 1
  12. Scroffel5

However, let me add that I am fine with it. Its what you get for posting dumb stuff about FF here and the devs listening to you. Be less of a group of weak soyboys. Weaklings die. Big deal. Thats how it is. You could never last on ROBLOX's Trenches: Beta.
  13. Liewec123

I don't see anyone complaining about friendly fire, I can't even remember the last time I saw a thread about it.
    This just seems to be another random Wrel change, however unlike most of the others, I like this one.
    • Up x 1
  14. AuricStarSand

When I 1st heard this, I believed it would be an okay update. Tho when reading your post, however, maybe it's not a good thing. I mean not hitting teammates, adds to the skill. Lessening grenade damage against teammates, makes some sense. As I always said, " Grenades that deal damage, shouldn't be unlocked till lvl 40 ". However bullet fire too? Probably not wise. If they do reduce it, they should test it for Oshur only, not the other planets.

I like to joke tk here or there, yet I'm still going to get wep locked, even from just shooting random allies with 1 bullet per ally, to be silly. So this update isn't gonna help me be able to jokedly shoot my teammates shield bar off. So ye, just seems like reducing the skill level for vets, kinda thing. As a stalker infil, who does get tk'ed more often than other roles. I may like this update, yet dodging allied grenades & bullets is part of the pro theme. So ye test it with Oshur, not for the other planets.
    • Up x 1
  15. Scroffel5

It was talked about semi-recently. It has at least 2 threads on page 2 about FF and weapon locking. I can go either way with this update.

Bro, if not hitting your teammates adds to the skill, what about not blowing up your teammates with a grenade, or how about not dying to one that is thrown? Those take a semblance of skill and care too. So no, this is a war - it doesn't make sense that your teammates would take less damage from your own actions than an enemy.

And level 40 for damage-dealing grenades? Thats dumb.
    • Up x 3
  16. Shadowpikachu

I think it should be a hard 10-20% that just prevents you getting domed/naded in one shot and 1 more bullet for many guns, it also would double as giving less grief points to begin with.

It's a good idea and they just were testing an extreme first knowing it would probably be needed to tone down, in terms of the testing process i respect it.
  17. VeryCoolMiller

I have been playing this game for 10 years... and the only time i received a weapon lock has been when I had a unfriendly discussion with a tr representative about how to use a vulcan on an harasser, and after 5 kills the system decided that i had to stop for 5 min with my arguments.

removing friendly fire will increase the no sense spam that we are already seeing in every fight... and considering how good is the aim of ppl is really curious why someone ask to reduce friendly fire (maybe the aimbot isn't really good at check the line of fire ? )
    • Up x 2
  18. JustGotSuspended

can't remember where I've seen this before....perhaps with crafting exceptionals, and they never did it? Or was it with the first items from the campaign? Even for ASP 2 they said they changed their decision and would give one point for unlock, but apparently they didn't do that either.

Yeah dude come on we've stuck with the game long enough to know there's a big difference between what's said and what happens.
    • Up x 2
  19. JustGotSuspended

Even today I got into a tk war with an intentional griefer, who ended up killing me and bragging about getting me weapons locked after I had farmed him so hard the game forced me to stop.

While I agree quality of life would improve, dumbing down the game doesn't seem like the right step. Sure the grief points n lock needs to be tweaked. But removing/reducing friendly fire?

Nah man that's removing another layer of the game. Remember what happened during april fools? People were just spamming everything they could without a care in the world, since there was no chance they'd damage allies.

Nah we want some coordination, some punishment for disregarding your allies. Imagine if you're fighting multiple dudes and they can just shoot from behind each other cuz friendly fire does nothing.

No honestly this is uncalled for, and there's seriously no reason to remove or reduce it, it would fundamentally change the game. As much as I dislike getting killed/weps locked by dumb friendlies, it's still an essential aspect of the game.
    • Up x 3
  20. Werkitten

I have almost all cases when comrades accidentally killed - this is a situation when you are inside a tank, and an ally decides that standing astern of him is a good idea.
    And once I watched a recording of a briefing for real tankers. Do you know what the cadets were told there? The first rule is never to stand at the tank astern.
    This is one of the moments when the impressions of the game suddenly became much brighter.

As for shooting, I can remember how we played hardball (this is a game similar to airsoft, not virtual). And there it was extremely important to keep track of where the allies ran away, because otherwise there was a high probability that you would shoot each other before the enemy did. However, the enemy had the same problems :)

These are just a couple of examples where a seemingly completely unrealistic game can give feelings very similar to more realistic versions. Including due to the presence of a very real problem of recognizing their own.
    • Up x 1