Friday Night Ops - Webcast Feedback Thread

Discussion in 'Friday Night Ops' started by Luperza, Sep 11, 2012.

1. John_Aitc

I just thought the Saturday and Sunday events would be nice to promote on Friday.
  2. Luperza Community Manager

Ah! That's a completely different thing! That did not seem like what you were asking. In the future, just put these types of things in the weekly thread, not the feedback thread. Say something like, "Help promote X event. Here are the details." :) Or you can PM me on the forums.

<3
  3. John_Aitc

[Segment Idea] - I would like to request that Dave 'Malorn' Bennett appear on the show to give an update for the Resource Revamp, please. I think that is the most important change that will happen to the game post O:MFG.
    • Up x 2
  4. Maton41

[Date Idea and Event] on Tuesday night before 12am to Wednesday, you should organize us common rabble to do a Airshow with some people from one or 3 factions to give us a common rabble to enjoy watching. I mean, figure out what tricks could be pulled off in-game and what not. Perhaps even a new year related song or soundtrack to make it more interesting
  5. Luperza Community Manager

This sounds great. Unfortuantely, no super new information is available regarding the Resource System Revamp. :) Everything has already been stated on PS2FNO before or is posted in the Roadmap thread. I'll definitely be having some more developers on. We're planning some base building streams and also as more information is available, I'll be sure to have Malorn on to talk about the Resource Revamp.

Unfortunately 12AM is not within my work hours and Tuesday or Wednesday at 12AM is not during PS2FNO show hours. :p You could always record something and submit it to me to play on PS2FNO! Would be neat to have an airshow of sorts. :D
    • Up x 2
  6. Icebeast1

Panel Discussions: Why they don't work and what can be done to fix them.

First, I just want to say that I really like the idea of panel discussions. I think they could be a great way to get interesting discussions going about the game. Unfortunately, in their current state, they basically devolve into the following: Each panelist arrives with a prepared concept or point they want to discuss. I assume this is at the direction of Luperza. Then, each panelist says their spiel for 5ish minutes and then each other panelist is prompted for a response, which they come up for on the fly, before moving on to the next topic. Unfortunately, this results in no depth to the conversation.

What I was hoping would happen is that a panelist would present an idea, followed by a back and forth of the merits of the idea. As described above, this is not happening. To facilitate this, I would change the panels in the following way. First, keep the part where each panelists prepares some idea to discuss for the overall topic, but allow the panelists to share the ideas ahead of time. Then, let the panel decide which ideas to discuss first, based on what they feel would lead to best discussion. Second, let it flow as a conversation rather than a position followed by response. Have a panelist, present their ideas, then let the panel talk about it in free form where people can respond directly to each other. If the panel isn't doing anything, or going anywhere, then step in to direct the panel as the moderator.

This leads me to my third point, don't feel the need to hit all topics. If a good conversation is going, let it keep going. You can always come back to another topic in another panel episode. Right now, I feel the panels cannot reach their potential because very little discussion is allowed about any one topic in order to try to go on to the next topic.

Finally, reduce the size of the panel. With large panels, its hard to get any opinions in edge-wise. I feel a panel of only 3 members allows for more conversation as each member can get used to the other panelists and each member gets more time to say their piece. Further, members are less likely to feel ganged up on as the only possible "gang up" is 2 on 1 rather than 3 or 4 on 1. Maintaining a small group of panel members will also build up the familiarity between members, making them more comfortable to discuss and argue with each other.

One last point, as the moderator, don't be afraid to translate for the panelists. Right now, it seems that some panel members misunderstand other panelists opinions. Ask for clarity or translate yourself if you feel like you have a better understanding. Anyway, these are my thoughts on how to make the panels better.

- IceBeast

TLDR;
    1) Let the panel decide the order of topic discusison
    2) Let the conversation free flow rather than do a point/response mechanism
    3) Don't feel the need to hit all topics, if a topic is going good, let it go.
    4) Reduce the panel size.
  7. Luperza Community Manager

This is fully player driven. They have come up with the topics, players they want in the cast and they come up with the order and discussion points that they wanted to discuss. I do agree that this time around there were too many subjects and not enough discussion and that was the point I was making. We'll do some changes and make it work better. :) It's been improving each week we've had one.
    • Up x 1
  8. RyanGUK

Just wanted to say tonight was the first time I've watched Friday Night Ops (probably because I'm a Brit and I'm up way past my bedtime), but I enjoyed it thoroughly, surprised how professional outfits have gotten since I was last properly on PS2 but it's proper nice to see that much.

Will be tuning in next week I hope, pending the YouTube thang gets a fix. Awesome stuff though and nice to spectate people getting their heads blown off instead of being the head being blown off.
    • Up x 1
  9. Luperza Community Manager

Glad you enjoyed the show and thank you for the feedback! :)
    • Up x 1
  10. Rockit

Panel discussion needs to be a bit more brisk and generally reflecting a more upbeat mood.
  11. Luperza Community Manager

Not every topic will be "upbeat", but thank you for the feedback. :)
    • Up x 1
  12. Rothnang

Hello, Aetrion here, let me elaborate a bit on the process we go through when we put together a panel.

I agree that in the ideal scenario a panel would be fully organic and you would simply let a conversation flow where it naturally wants to, but there are two major hurdles to this: For one we need to keep everything short enough to fit into our timeslot, and that means in order for everyone to get their main points across we have to figure out to some degree what those are before hand. Secondly, it's difficult to have a conversation flow naturally over VOIP because multiple people talking at the same time usually results in one of them being completely drowned out, or both of them ending up incomprehensible. Especially PS2 players who operate on voice chat daily tend to let others say their bit before piping up, and in a discussion that can mean you don't get to say much at all. (The first time we had Rak on he hardly got to say anything while I talked the whole time, it wasn't until I watched the episode back and talked to Rak afterward that I realized he was just trying to be polite and not cut people off and I didn't even notice how much I was dominating the conversation because when nobody interrupted me I just kept right on talking.)

It may seem as though the talking points are highly scripted, but the truth is that we sit everyone who is on the panel down before hand to hammer out the meat of the discussion. We talk for hours and hours, and try to cover the topic from many angles, because that's how we try to distill our best points into a 45 minute time slot. Often a topic that seems relatively cut and dry on the surface reveals itself to have depth and facets that could easily warrant several hours of discussion, or spawn multiple sub panels, and there is just no time to fit all the good stuff in. The current format isn't ideal, but it's the best I've come up with so far to make sure that as much of what is said live is actually in some way relevant.

Panel size is a bit of an issue, that is true, I'm not entirely sure yet how we're going to handle that. The format is evolving, and we're trying out new things. Currently my direction is to define the topics more narrowly so instead of jumping to someone elses point we get to "respond to the responses", and actually have a discussion. Another idea I have would be to maybe structure contentious points into actual debates between two people representing opposite sides, so that we can get a solid back and forth.
    I don't really want to cut the number of panelists down without trying a few more things to accommodate them better, because it's very frustrating to be working with so many great people who all deserve all the screentime they can get and only being able to put very few people on it. I also always want to keep the doors open for new people to come into the panel discussion, since this is supposed to be a community forum.

We are looking to improve the panel as we run it more, but it is a learning experience for everyone evolved and I hope you guys bear with us while we bang out the most entertaining and informative format we can for this!
  13. Crashsplash

Suggestion for a name of the mining outpost that Clegg has been building. Terms like 'outpost', 'armory', 'depot' etc are getting alittle samey.

Bearing in mind that the naming theme of the major bases are native N. American gods and spirits why not call the outpost "Kwatee Spirit Mine" - and then put the yeti growl effect down there!
    • Up x 1
  14. BFBirdy

FNO ever coming back to Briggs?
  15. Luperza Community Manager

Yep! :)
  16. Dotz0r

Think the next ServerSmash (Ceres vs Cobalt) deserves a mention on 14th March FNO as by the time EU is watching FNO, its actually Saturday Morning for them (day of match, Sat 15th) Been some really good-to-watch FNO's lately - keep it up!

*Puts on his advertisement hat and slowly walks towards the door*
    • Up x 1
  17. Luperza Community Manager

I'll try to add that to the show notes for next week's end showcase. ;)
  18. gunner117

[IMG]I wish we could do this :)
    • Up x 1
  19. Rainbowman3D

20. ncDieseL

Can you post EP62 up on the YouTube? I've never been able to get Twitch to work, YouTube is much more reliable.